Why do people act like poirier is a good boxer?

It's weird that someone would devote that much energy to attempting to prove that Poirier is a lousy fighter.

I would pay much money to see Ron take one hard shot from Poirier. Any shot, but Dustin has to guarantee that he will throw it with the worst intentions. And, Ron is permitted to attempt defense, to make Dustin set it up. Money rondante. Let's go baby.
5 lines is some kind of ungodly hater level effort is it. I’ll keep this to two or maybe you’ll call me a tryhard again

I feel like Poirier gets a lot of hate on here lol

I made it to page 3.

IMO, the accurate assessment is Dustin ducked the expected shot, but not well enough, it caught him behind the ear, which is like the #2 KO button in MMA history.

#1 - distal lower jawline
#2 - behind the ear
Yeah in that first fight Conor landed the perfect shot there, Conor's precision was always quite impressive and overall he was pretty good at picking his shots.

a lot of cope in this thread, there are many decent boxers in mma

JDM, yan, yadong, sandhagen, o'malley.. the list goes on

now, dont get me wrong, he's decent on the offense, has good instincts and what not, but he simply lacks the footwork to be considered a GOOD mma boxer

dude fluries forward and that's it, he also goes to the body less than he should, too much of a head hunter sometimes

he is just what i would call: a skilled brawler(like gaethje, chandler, paulo costa, cannonier and many others)
He also drops his rear hand when throwing his lead (Ryan Garcia special), the shorts thing is exploitable, he loses balance trying to look slick, closes his eyes, decent defense, but stationary head.

There are definitely great things there like working behind a jab (which is still under utilized in MMA), combinations, stepping into stance switches, good balance (when he's not showboating), good leverage on his shots (I wouldn't call them perfect mechanics), power in both hands, and just the nuts to get after it.

Technical brawler is a little far, he's definitely more refined than say a Robbie Lawler. Boxer-Puncher with an emphasis on punching is a more fair assessment imo.

I am shocked how we can have a thread with someone not seeing Poirier has good boxing.
They have to be more of a boxing fan or a newer MMA fan that is doing some weird mental gymnastics like they are thinking about how Dustin would do as a pro boxer and not in the context of how well his boxing works in an MMA fight.

Reactions: JKS
Back