Why do some.of you still post on Sherdog if you're not an MMA fan anymore?

Well, it's either here or 4chan.

Another Flat Earth thread, or more Trannies?

Somedays it's a close call.

I've noticed a lot of you guys post in the Mayberry and the war room but I never see you guys in the heavies. I take that to mean that you aren't really an MMA fan anymore which is fine enough but I'm just curious why do you continue to post on an MMA forum if you're not really a fan of the sport anymore? By the way not criticizing at all just really curious is all
Yes

I've noticed a lot of you guys post in the Mayberry and the war room but I never see you guys in the heavies. I take that to mean that you aren't really an MMA fan anymore which is fine enough but I'm just curious why do you continue to post on an MMA forum if you're not really a fan of the sport anymore? By the way not criticizing at all just really curious is all

I'm still an MMA fan and watch every major event, and even Bareknuckle MMA when they broadcast on YouTube - the last one was the most exciting MMA card I've seen in a long time.

But the heavies - and its been like this for a long while - doesn't have much inteligent discussion. Same old fanboyism that's plagued fanbases for a very long time.

I usually check out YouTube MMA channels like Chael Sonnen, Triple-C, and Mexican Martial Arts. Don't always agree with them them but at least they have credibility behind their opinions and they back them up with reasoning.

Too many idiots in the heavies discuss McGregor like he's still some kind of MMA God, ignoring the fact he's 1-3 since boxing Floyd, he's 1-3 at 155, 2-1 at 170 (Cowboy was on a 3-fight skid before fighting McGregor) and by the time he fights again he'll be 35 years old with a 3-year layoff.

It really shows how bad the UFC is at making stars, and McGregor was a height&weight bully cutting to get to 145 and when he fought credible fighters his own size that he couldn't get in their heads... he lost every time.

I'll still watch when I can, watched the last NYE Rizin card which was cool.

Most of my favourite fighters are either retired or past their prime.
I was shocked to learn Jim Miller is still fighting

I was shocked to learn Jim Miller is still fighting
That's amazing lol

Feels like yesterday when him and Diaz fought for the 1 contender status. Jim was on a good run but Diaz choked him out

They don’t allow me to post in the Heavies cause I’m not mentally challenged.

Also, stopped watch MMA when Cro Cop got Cro Copped. Sad day.

In the mid-2000s there were less fighters. Maybe? I could follow and root for dudes for a few years, there was that continuity. Plus back then there were fights every so often it seemed like. Not every fucking week. I can’t keep track of that shit. Plus back then each event was a fucking party. Cooking food with friends or at the bar throwin then back with friends, girls at the bar! all while the big fight was on. It was something we looked forward to. Now it like, meh a fights on.

In the mid-2000s there were less fighters. Maybe? I could follow and root for dudes for a few years, there was that continuity. Plus back then there were fights every so often it seemed like. Not every fucking week. I can’t keep track of that shit. Plus back then each event was a fucking party. Cooking food with friends or at the bar throwin then back with friends, girls at the bar! all while the big fight was on. It was something we looked forward to. Now it like, meh a fights on.
I think thats the big shift in the current UFC, it trades much more heavily on filling cards with rather non descript "ok" fighters.

Thats really what "evolution" has been about, its become easier and cheaper to get decent MMA training so the amount of fighters who can be decently rounded has greatly increased BUT whats not happened is any significant increase in attracting really talented people to MMA because that still costs a lot of money the UFC doesnt want to spend.

Its business model depends on filling a lot of cards with mostly "ok" talent and so thats the talent base its helped create.

I think thats the big shift in the current UFC, it trades much more heavily on filling cards with rather non descript "ok" fighters.

Thats really what "evolution" has been about, its become easier and cheaper to get decent MMA training so the amount of fighters who can be decently rounded has greatly increased BUT whats not happened is any significant increase in attracting really talented people to MMA because that still costs a lot of money the UFC doesnt want to spend.

Its business model depends on filling a lot of cards with mostly "ok" talent and so thats the talent base its helped create.

To be honest I enjoyed it more when most guys were some particular kind of fighter and it was style vs. style as opposed to this guy has perfected comprehensive "MMA" at 75% while the other guy is at 78% so he wins a decision.

It doesn't necessarily have to be as wacky as Gary Goodridge fighting from the school of armwrestling or Royce vs. Tank Abbott or Teila Tuli but even since and including GSP the fights have kind of been less entertaining.

Last fight I watch was Fury vs. that big black dude. Dont know his name.

I like videogames, wrestling and I find other people's opinions on politicians and general issues to be interesting. I'm also looking for a conversation from time to time.

I stil watch ONEFC, but I can't stand the culture around the UFC.

I love mma. But fuck the ufc and eat shit and live dana. Fu ari and wme too.

To be honest I enjoyed it more when most guys were some particular kind of fighter and it was style vs. style as opposed to this guy has perfected comprehensive "MMA" at 75% while the other guy is at 78% so he wins a decision.

It doesn't necessarily have to be as wacky as Gary Goodridge fighting from the school of armwrestling or Royce vs. Tank Abbott or Teila Tuli but even since and including GSP the fights have kind of been less entertaining.
I think part of the issue there is that most modern MMA fighters do not come from a truely elite MA background pre MMA, its possible for a fighter to be "rounded" in terms of not having obvious weaknesses but still be very individual because they bring elite individual skill into the sport.

Equally I think that can make fighters appear to be "rounded" moreso than they actually are as they face really elite skill less often, areas of their game look fine at an "ok" level but get found out when they face an opponent who does have elite skill in them.

The UFc tries to sell such fighters as potential contenders pushing the idea that everyone is always evolving fast but I think the reality is much of the roster will never be contenders.

Back