Why don’t some people accept that Poverty in America is a lifestyle choice?

What are you talking about? In what way is $30k/year supposed to be "making it"? That's significantly lower than what the floor workers at my company earn. You don't seem to have much of a grip of how things look.

You seem to just try to make up what the socio-economic mobility stats say. It's about mobility throughout the entire spectrum.

The US does have a lot of extremely wealthy people but its wealth distribution is literally like medieval Europe.
I can think of many ways that a high school dropout can learn job skills for free and make $100,000 a year within 2 years. Is that doable in Sweden?

You seem to be talking in all or nothing terms. The idea here is to see what opportunities your missing out on and not get swallowed up into resentment politics to the point of being useless.

This is, again, the type of approach promoted by those who do not want individuals to engage in systemic criticism.

For example, I believe health care should be a right of citizenship, paid for through public monies.

How does the fact that I was able to personally obtain quality, easily affordable health coverage through my employer either change or serve that conviction?

"I got mine, fuck you," is the cornerstone philosophy of sociopaths like Sowell.

This is, again, the type of approach promoted by those who do not want individuals to engage in systemic criticism.

For example, I believe health care should be a right of citizenship, paid for through public monies.

How does the fact that I was able to personally obtain quality, easily affordable health coverage through my employer either change or serve that conviction?

"I got mine, fuck you," is the cornerstone philosophy of sociopaths like Sowell.

It’s more like “I earned mine, fuck you”. I believe healthcare is a privilege that needs to be earned and I will do everything in my power to help promote that. It is best for the healthcare system in the long run. We need to get rid of Medicaid entirely and eliminate EMTALA to begin to fix our healthcare system.

“You earned yours, now pay for mine” is the philosophy of communist pieces of shit like Sanders

It’s funny but people who most admire the virtues of competition don’t seem to understand that it require both winners and losers. A lot of grade school tee ball fans in the war room I guess.

It’s more like “I earned mine, fuck you”. I believe healthcare is a privilege that needs to be earned and I will do everything in my power to help promote that. It is best for the healthcare system in the long run. We need to get rid of Medicaid entirely and eliminate EMTALA to begin to fix our healthcare system.

“You earned yours, now pay for mine” is the philosophy of communist pieces of shit like Sanders

Cliffs: "Koch Bros. brand Kool-Aid is delicious!"

It’s funny but people who most admire the virtues of competition don’t seem to understand that it require both winners and losers. A lot of grade school tee ball fans in the war room I guess.

You confuse winning and losing with the distribution of the prize money.

Was the guy with the fastest time any less the winner of the New York Marathon because they awarded him 50K instead of 100K?

Interesting that you would call Sowell a sociopath. The guy saw firsthand what resentment politics did to the black community and specifically those that he was teaching while a professor. Students were working hard and believing in their future until the bleeding hearts showed up and told them they were getting a raw deal.

A percentage went with the victim mentality and basically quite. Their lives never saw the potential that was possible like the ones that stuck with it did. He was actually a person that cared enough to help others but the biggest obstacle was fake rage from the left.

I've read quite a few of his books including his autobiography, he had a tough life and knows what he's talking about.
Ever read any of his books?

Last edited:
Interesting that you would call Sowell a sociopath. The guy saw firsthand what resentment politics did to the black community and specifically those that he was teaching while professor. Students were working hard and believing in their future until the bleeding hearts showed up and told them they were getting a raw deal.

A percentage went with the victim mentality and basically quite. Their lives never saw the potential that was possible like the ones that stuck with it did. He was actually a person that cared enough to help others but the biggest obstacle was fake rage from the left.

I've read quite a few of his books including his autobiography, he had a tough life and knows what he's talking about.
Ever read any of his books?

He is trolling calling Sowell a sociopath

I'd also like to point out to people complaining that minimum wage can't support a family.. it still can, if you want to use 1950s living standards.

Your house is a shack in the country, your health care is chicken soup, your phone plan is shared by 50 different people using the same line, your car would cost ~$3k brand new (like cheap 3rd world brands that don't have airbags, power steering, ABS, automatic transmission, air conditioner, radios, safety ratings, etc), your garbage collection is burning your trash, your water is picking it up from the well, your diet is nearly 100% home cooked beans/ pasta/ canned or preserved meats/ vegetables only half the year, you have no TV but do have a radio, and your bathroom is a hole in the ground.

You can actually have a much, much better quality of life than that for $8/ hour.

Sell your iPhone to pay for healthcare and a new car only cost 1,000$!!!!!

He is trolling calling Sowell a sociopath
Lets hope so otherwise it's worse than I thought.
Sowell has a heart of gold and is heart broken for the black community saying that the left destroyed the black family which has bin the source of most of the problems. The success of many immigrants has proved his point.

Haven't heard anyone directly debate the guy and prove what he claims as wrong. The best they can do is slander calling him a sociopath or a Uncle Tom. I guess these people missed the class pointing out slander isn't a argument unless you're really desperate which then makes you look like a silly goose.

Maybe you don't know what a sociopath is.

I think you are the one misinformed. Sowell is one of the few who speak the truth about the struggles of the black community. The man cares deeply about his community and has worked hard to help them help themselves.

I think if pepol wur bedder edukatted their wuld be bedder money too be mayde. The domestic products wuld be more gross

I think you are the one misinformed. Sowell is one of the few who speak the truth about the struggles of the black community. The man cares deeply about his community and has worked hard to help them help themselves.

I'm not familiar with Sowell's charitable activism in the black community. Please elaborate.

You confuse winning and losing with the distribution of the prize money.

Was the guy with the fastest time any less the winner of the New York Marathon because they awarded him 50K instead of 100K?
I don't confuse those things at all. Sorry if it wasn't clear, I was attempting to support your point. Not everyone can win a competition, so poverty is a systemic thing that we have to deal with, rather than some inherent flaw of poor people.

Why doesn't TS recognize the irony of his cognitive dissonance? Some questions we will never have answers to.

$18USD per hour? can I work there?

Here in Manila when I worked for a Verizon Call Center I get $15 PER DAY! :(

Dude, they have Indian guys working there, I'm sure they'll take a good Catholic Pinoy.

Hook up some Pinoys in the US and hustle every day.

Dude, they have Indian guys working there, I'm sure they'll take a good Catholic Pinoy.

Hook up some Pinoys in the US and hustle every day.

Lol yeah the Indians and Filipinos compete in the call center industry had some verbal fights with some Indian United Airlines agents before.

This thread is loaded with so much stupidity and ignorance it isn't even funny.

Americans are working more and longer hours than ever before. Upward mobility has not been great which all effects how people advance up the ladder.

Saying Americans are lazy or don't want to work is factually untrue and hair shows someone's ignorance when they make those comments
Thanks Obama

Is it pure ignorance? Denial? Poverty in America is really inexcusable. I laugh when people talk about how people are “keeping them down”. Newsflash: CEO making bank doesn’t stop you from making bank.

The thing is these people simply lack work ethic and are bad with money. They blow all their funds on trash and if they actually work they don’t want to put in the extra hours or acquire a side hustle. Once I finish my Masters I am planning on working 5 jobs. My only problem is there isn’t enough hours in the week.

LOL @ working 5 jobs to not be poor.

Back