Why giving Cody Garbrandt an immediate rematch is a terrible idea.

Yeah I'm in agreement with you on that entirely, just pointing out that the post you were responding to was questionable in claiming Cody was somehow unlucky in the 1st round, it was so accident he didn't have time to follow up and far from certain he would have been able to anyway, TJ was afterall fine by the second round.

If Dillashaw has a weakness I think its that he sometimes gets a bit carried away trying to push a fight and has to adapt but in rematches with Cody and Dom he now has very clear gameplans to follow.

Yeah his aggression works against him a lot.

I agree, give it to dominic cruz. Have Cody fight someone else, and if he wins he gets next shot.

I'm not a fan of Cody Garbrandt, and was rooting for TJ in their fight, but since the whole UFC 222 thing went down and the UFC squashed the potential TJ/DJ fight Bang Ludwig has suggested that the UFC want Cody Garbrandt to win the title back.

That's probably true, he's a young, good looking dude with an exciting fighting style and KO power, but even though I'm not a fan of him it would be a terrible idea to give him an immediate rematch.

TJ pretty much had him figured out in round 2, at Kickboxing range Cody's boxing centric style was rendered pretty much useless, and although you can't count someone as good as Cody I'd favour TJ a lot in an immediate rematch.

But TJ is 32 years old, he only turned pro in 2010 so he doesn't have a lot of miles on him but he's in his prime right now, Cody is only 26 years old and has years left to improve.

If they wait 2-3 years for Cody to enter his prime and TJ to start to decline, I'd favour Cody in a rematch, that's why an immediate rematch would be a terrible idea for the UFC right now.
Cody nearly finished TJ in the first. Rematch is justified because Cody is a top BW and not a Fly Weight.

i say, f all those quick rematches that are happening. If the division is stack, let them work their way out again. If the division isn't stack then it's viable for an immediate rematch. So in that case, they shouldn't even do a rematch with these two yet.

The first fight was close.

If Cody had 10 more seconds in that 1st round, he may have put TJ away.

That said, if Cody loses a 2nd time he's stuck in JDS, Benavidez, soon to be Boogeywoman territory.

Let Cody fight a Sterling or Assuncao type before rematching for the gold
If cody could gain 120lbs and meet the fertita brothers and convince them to buy ufc, he can be dana white

True, but he didn’t. And when the dust settled, it was TJ who dropped Cody twice and finished the fight. After that first round, Cody didn’t even show flashes of the success he had early. TJ adapted, Cody didn’t, and that was the difference.

Your response has nothing to do with my post.

I'm debating the topic of giving Cody an immediate rematch.

Wanna debate if the fight was close? Start a thread kid.

how often does it happen tho? its kinda rare actually
Not really. Rose/JJ is gonna happen, Woodley/Wonderboy, TJ/Cody apparently. There were a lot more scheduled too, but didn't happen due to various injuries IIRC.

I'm not a fan of Cody Garbrandt, and was rooting for TJ in their fight, but since the whole UFC 222 thing went down and the UFC squashed the potential TJ/DJ fight Bang Ludwig has suggested that the UFC want Cody Garbrandt to win the title back.

That's probably true, he's a young, good looking dude with an exciting fighting style and KO power, but even though I'm not a fan of him it would be a terrible idea to give him an immediate rematch.

TJ pretty much had him figured out in round 2, at Kickboxing range Cody's boxing centric style was rendered pretty much useless, and although you can't count someone as good as Cody I'd favour TJ a lot in an immediate rematch.

But TJ is 32 years old, he only turned pro in 2010 so he doesn't have a lot of miles on him but he's in his prime right now, Cody is only 26 years old and has years left to improve.

If they wait 2-3 years for Cody to enter his prime and TJ to start to decline, I'd favour Cody in a rematch, that's why an immediate rematch would be a terrible idea for the UFC right now.
I'll take cody declining before TJ does 32 isn't old, there's a reason cody hides from everyone else his days of aura of invincibility are numbered.

Not really. Rose/JJ is gonna happen, Woodley/Wonderboy, TJ/Cody apparently. There were a lot more scheduled too, but didn't happen due to various injuries IIRC.
ok rose/jj but jj was a pretty decently longtime defending champ.. plus, who else right now

woodley/wonderboy was a close fight... were talking about instant rematches that werent close

and tj/cody isnt even scheduled

i find it strange ppl come up with stuff like this.. i get it, since sometimes fights that are scheduled and then cancelled are often somewhere inside skewing things a bit

Lmao what. Both guys had success, both guys got caught. TJ was just able to put him away, Cody wasn't.

It's a fuckin' great match up. Why wouldn't you want to see it? Any combination of TJ/Dom/Cody is a good idea always. In a day and age where we never get the good title matches because of all this diva shit going on, we should be jumping at the potential of seeing ones like this. I don't wanna see Cody climb the ladder again just to have TJ decide he wants to hold out for more money or fight DJ or some shit.

Other than one big punch, what did Cody do? There's no need for an immediate rematch. And Cody won't have to climb the ladder again--he never climbed the ladder in the first place because Dom gifted the title shot to Cody.

Cody should fight Assuncao.

By that logic, keep Joanna far away from a rematch.

BW is looking pretty scant Cruz looking all safe & comfy behind the mic calling fights, Cody is still a hot ticket with them groomed eyebrows and manlet attitude, Assuncao at 3 is who cares (No disrepect) TJ don't have that real money fight now that DJ talk as been shut down by Dana for now... Cody fight would be good money, but I would go Cody in a rematch they've both shown the ability to catch each other...

Other than one big punch, what did Cody do? There's no need for an immediate rematch. And Cody won't have to climb the ladder again--he never climbed the ladder in the first place because Dom gifted the title shot to Cody.

Cody should fight Assuncao.

Lmao it was 20 to 18 significant strikes in favor of TJ. The fight was as even as it could be. Cody was 18 of 54, TJ was 23 of 85. Cody was actually landing with better accuracy. Like I said, they both rocked each other but TJ was able to put him away. Cody wasn't, whether it be from the bell or him not being able to find the right strikes to get the TKO. To argue anything other than it was dead even is stupid.

There wouldn't be one if Mighty Mouse sign the contract...

Lmao it was 20 to 18 significant strikes in favor of TJ. The fight was as even as it could be. Cody was 18 of 54, TJ was 23 of 85. Cody was actually landing with better accuracy. Like I said, they both rocked each other but TJ was able to put him away. Cody wasn't, whether it be from the bell or him not being able to find the right strikes to get the TKO. To argue anything other than it was dead even is stupid.

I don't remember Cody ever being in control to be honest. I just remember that one punch he landed, and then him trying to play matador all fight only to get knocked out. It looked like TJ was in control of the majority of that fight to me. Cody was waiting on TJ too much, but it was tense because we all know the kind of power Cody has. But again, even if what you said is true, it doesn't merit an immediate rematch for a belt.

I don't remember Cody ever being in control to be honest. I just remember that one punch he landed, and then him trying to play matador all fight only to get knocked out. It looked like TJ was in control of the majority of that fight to me. Cody was waiting on TJ too much, but it was tense because we all know the kind of power Cody has. But again, even if what you said is true, it doesn't merit an immediate rematch for a belt.

No under usual sporting circumstances it wouldn't, but it's the ultimate fucking circus right now and champions hold out for next to no reason so I'd rather see high profile fights like this instead of gimme fights or guys waiting out a bigger paycheck if at all possible.

It's a great fight. The first was great, the bad blood is great. In the current era of the UFC where the concept of earning anything is out the window, I say fuck it and let em bang.

No under usual sporting circumstances it wouldn't, but it's the ultimate fucking circus right now and champions hold out for next to no reason so I'd rather see high profile fights like this instead of gimme fights or guys waiting out a bigger paycheck if at all possible.

It's a great fight. The first was great, the bad blood is great. In the current era of the UFC where the concept of earning anything is out the window, I say fuck it and let em bang.

I don't think that if they don't book TJ vs cody II immediately then the alternatives are gimme fights. I think Cruz, Rivera, Moraes, and Assuncao all give TJ or Cody really tough fights. Is there a gimme fight you're talking about in particular involving TJ?

I don't think that if they don't book TJ vs cody II immediately then the alternatives are gimme fights. I think Cruz, Rivera, Moraes, and Assuncao all give TJ or Cody really tough fights. Is there a gimme fight you're talking about in particular involving TJ?

Cruz is also fine with me. The post of mine you quoted specifically said any combination of Cruz/TJ/Cody is welcomed at all times.

Moraes is already fighting Rivera on June 1st, so that leaves Assuncao.. and he really isn't doing anything to leapfrog the previously mentioned guys. He recently lost to TJ, won two split decisions, and then beat a noname. So, I'd really rather not waste a fight on him at this point.

My main point is that I want to see high profile fights; if they're available, let them happen. Fuck all this waiting around for the "right" opponent. If two exciting guys are healthy, high ranked, and even have a good story between them? Fuck the politics, let it happen. Because if it doesn't happen when it can, for all we know the next time it comes around guys will want to hold out for more money, get "injured," a random interim title might get created, etcetcetc.

I

That is such bullshit. Dillashaw DID NOT have Garbrandt figured out.

He dropped Cody with a punch based on a stroke of dumb luck. Dillashaw had just whiffed on a combo in round 2 and Garbrandt was about to land a bomb on him.

You know what happened? Garbrandt clipped Dillashaw's elbow on a punch that probably would have KOd TJ or at least dropped him.

Know what happened next? Because Garbrandt clipped Dillashaw's elbow/arm, TJ was able to land a punch that rocked Cody badly and lead to the end of the fight.

These two are so evenly matched that it isn't even funny.

That division has no other contenders besides Dom and Cody at the moment.

Garbrandt and Dillashaw is pretty much the best fight in MMA to make. Both in terms of style and the fact that they are so evenly matched.

Waiting to make that rematch is a disservice to MMA fans.

For some reason, I can't link to the Reddit gif of it. But it is there if you wanna find it.

https://www.google.com/search?ie=UT...ser&q=Garbrandt+punches+dillashsaw+arm+reddit

Click the first link.

TJ had Cody SOOOO figured out that he was about to walk straight into a haymaker and headbutt Cody's fist lol.

Last edited:
Back