Why I Quit BJJ

Ko Soto Gari

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Preface: I've been training MA for over 10 years. I started BJJ in 2004. I've done and seen a lot.

I can't stand the people who train BJJ. I don't have an IQ under 40, I don't have tattoos, I don't act like a wannabe tough guy, I don't wear tapout or any aggressive looking shirts, I don't say 'Bro' every other word. When I go to a BJJ class pretty much everyone ignores me. I don't look or act like them, so I'm an afterthought. When we get to rolling and they get dominated I am all of a sudden their 'Bro'. Superficial nitwits. After they realize I am good they ask me when I want to fight. I tell them I have no intention of doing MMA or grappling tournaments. They get a puzzled look on their face and walk away. I overhear them talking about MMA. "BRO! Grey Maynard has some SERIOUS hands! BRO, look out for him!". One of them says to me "BRO, did you see TJ Grant's fight?" "No, I didn't" "BRO, he can throw DOWN". Such cheesy and exaggerated commentary from fools who have never heard of Kazushi Sakuraba.

I've quit BJJ because I can't stand the morons who train it. This type of idiot doesn't do Judo or other Martial Arts. If I can't have fun with my training partners the training itself is no longer appealing.

Sounds like you're training at the wrong school, bro.

It sounds like you just need to find a gym that is a better fit for you. Some gyms are more MMA oriented, and that attracts a different demographic than gyms that are more focused on either self defense (e.g., Torrance academy) or IBJJF competition (e.g., Atos, MG's gym, Cobrinha's gym, etc.) In my experience, the latter gyms attract a lot of very intelligent people with a true passion for the art of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

Where do you train??

In SoCal most of the guys do not at all resemble your "standard bjj guy" that your promoting..

Actually if you go to any of the good competition schools here you'd be hard pressed to find any of the stereotypes that your bashing, well except that we do say "dude" and "bro" alot, but we actually surf here and I do so on a weekly or daily basis depending on swells..

You kind of come off sounding like an arrogant douche :/

perhaps you should just look for a new gym? Its important to belong to a gym that fits your personality. You have done BJJ for 10 years or you have been involved in martial arts for 10 years? I have been training BJJ for about 7 years and I can grantee I wouldn't quit because some douche bag kids didn't make me feel like I fit in. Get over it and train because you love training

perhaps you should just look for a new gym? Its important to belong to a gym that fits your personality. You have done BJJ for 10 years or you have been involved in martial arts for 10 years? I have been training BJJ for about 7 years and I can grantee I wouldn't quit because some douche bag kids didn't make me feel like I fit in. Get over it and train because you love training

I've tried 4 different schools, no real difference between any of them. The thing with me is, if I don't like or respect my training partners, I don't have fun training. If I don't have fun I have no desire to continue. I enjoy Judo because the people are so different, and I actually like groundwork better than throws.

It sounds like you just need to find a gym that is a better fit for you. Some gyms are more MMA oriented, and that attracts a different demographic than gyms that are more focused on either self defense (e.g., Torrance academy) or IBJJF competition (e.g., Atos, MG's gym, Cobrinha's gym, etc.) In my experience, the latter gyms attract a lot of very intelligent people with a true passion for the art of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

So true. There are definitely more traditional schools and competition based schools. There are also many schools in the middle. Clearly you have not found the right fit. I have trained at schools in Rio, Las Vegas, St. Louis, Iowa, and Chicago, and very few of them were the kind of school TS is talking about.

I thought the same way until I went to a school that only offered BJJ and not MMA or striking. But it was more of the same.

Sounds like it would be better if you did not train.

You seem to have a truly bitter attitude. Failure to adapt. - E

I've met guys like that before but never an entire gym of guys like that. Most people who train BJJ are humble, respectful, easy to talk to, never wear tapout shirts, etc.

Seriously, though, you must have horrible luck. I've never seen a single person at my current school wear a tapout shirt. Not one. I think like one guy has shorts, but he's not a just bleed meathead. Even my old school which was freaking huge wasn't filled with guys like that. There was definitely a handful of dudes like that, but most people were regular guys who wanted to train.

I have trained regularly or visited many, many BJJ gyms big and small across California and the US and have only run across a very small number of guys like that, most are brand new or almost brand new, and most don't last.

Seriously? I'm in NY at an MMA gym and nobody has that attitude. I train at my main school, as well as several sister schools (three of which are in Jersey), and I've also trained with some competition bjj guys under Formiga, and I've never experienced that. I'm thinking troll job. 6.5/10.

Back