Why I Quit BJJ

I honestly think gym cultures change from place to place, but there is definitely a BJJ type.

I train at a university judo club and there is a lot of talk about Star Wars and physics. The atmosphere is delightfully nerdy. Nobody gets called bro. Not even ironically. No Bro.

At BJJ there is a lot of discussion of grass fed butter, hip hop and local tattoo artists. We "cuz," rather than "bro," but it's the same idea.

I like both atmospheres for balance. One thing I've always liked about training is that you meet people (for the most part good people,) that you might never otherwise encounter.

i've seen this kind of behavior more in no gi and mma classes.

haven't come across a whole lot of "bro" action during gi.

Preface: I've been training MA for over 10 years. I started BJJ in 2004. I've done and seen a lot.

I can't stand the people who train BJJ. I don't have an IQ under 40, I don't have tattoos, I don't act like a wannabe tough guy, I don't wear tapout or any aggressive looking shirts, I don't say 'Bro' every other word. When I go to a BJJ class pretty much everyone ignores me. I don't look or act like them, so I'm an afterthought. When we get to rolling and they get dominated I am all of a sudden their 'Bro'. Superficial nitwits. After they realize I am good they ask me when I want to fight. I tell them I have no intention of doing MMA or grappling tournaments. They get a puzzled look on their face and walk away. I overhear them talking about MMA. "BRO! Grey Maynard has some SERIOUS hands! BRO, look out for him!". One of them says to me "BRO, did you see TJ Grant's fight?" "No, I didn't" "BRO, he can throw DOWN". Such cheesy and exaggerated commentary from fools who have never heard of Kazushi Sakuraba.

I've quit BJJ because I can't stand the morons who train it. This type of idiot doesn't do Judo or other Martial Arts. If I can't have fun with my training partners the training itself is no longer appealing.

Sounds like you're the superficial nitwit here, brah.

I read the first few pages of this threat. Soudns like you needa break. I hope you dont quit permanenty. It'd be a terrible thing to waste all that talent and skill. But you defintiely need time off. You need to miss it again I think.

I honestly think gym cultures change from place to place, but there is definitely a BJJ type.

I train at a university judo club and there is a lot of talk about Star Wars and physics. The atmosphere is delightfully nerdy. Nobody gets called bro. Not even ironically. No Bro.

At BJJ there is a lot of discussion of grass fed butter, hip hop and local tattoo artists. We "cuz," rather than "bro," but it's the same idea.

I like both atmospheres for balance. One thing I've always liked about training is that you meet people (for the most part good people,) that you might never otherwise encounter.

The club I am at is like this. It's no gi but all the guys are all married with families, some working on grad degrees. There's a guy who is an a European history major, an accountant (who wrestled high school and college), a guy who is a general contractor and owns his own business, a small bit and improve actor and so on. All in their 20's and 30's. Not many bros or tribal tats.

you are being a generalist (lol, that word exist?)! every kind of people train jiu jitsu, kids, doctors, lawyers,gangsters, women.. i mean where i train theres a bunch of police officers! i believe you're just having a hard time to adapt.. if you dont feel like training, well just dont. you should train whatever makes you happy.
also jiu jitsu's growth outside Brasil is pretty much based on mma also getting popular, how can you complain about people talking about current active ufc fighters?
good luck

There are douche bags in every school but you shouldn't quit because of that. There are normally some really mellow people that are good to train with. I do feel your pain I train with this Douche who's favorite thing to do is verbally suck off GSP and tell everyone how much better life is through the love of Jesus, not my forte but I love the sport so much I deal with it

I feel like BJJ has the best culture out of any martial art. I feel like boxing and stuff like that you'd see the most douchebags...karate = lame, tkd = lame...bjj is pretty diverse. You're just at the wrong school man.

I recently visited a primarily MMA, secondarily no-gi BJJ school. I went in thinking I was going to be exposed to exactly what TS was describing. I mentally prepared for it so as to not take anything personally. What I found out was that I was being a douche for pre-judging these people. Yes they had tats. Yes some of them had lingo and frankly, most of them weren't that great at grappling. I found a bunch of otherwise good people that wanted to learn and had pretty good overall attitudes. I suspect in another year or two they will be a force to be reckoned with.

I accepted them for who they were and they accepted the white collar, no tats, no cussing, church going me for who I was. It was a great and humbling experience. I'm sure there are gyms that I would find offensive but, if after two or three you can't find a way to fit in. I think it's time to look in a mirror for a solution.

Back