Why in God's name do people live in Home Owners Associations?

Alphaboy

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Why do people live in HOAs? Seriously...

Based on every story I hear about them, it just sounds like a bunch of bossy cunts that like the power of whining when they don't get their way.

I mean, if I'm a grown ass man paying mortgage, wtf do I look like getting ganged up on b/c my grass was .0002 inches too high?! I may as well just live in my mom's basement for free!

People who live in HOAs are probably the kids that used to tattle tale on you to the teacher over every insignificant thing.

you only hear about bad experiences. mine is pretty good about things.

Can someone explain the premise of HOAs? That sounds completely foreign to me. I am used to cunty neighbors the old fashioned way, not some kind of group of them.

Can someone explain the premise of HOAs? That sounds completely foreign to me. I am used to cunty neighbors the old fashioned way, not some kind of group of them.

I think it's basically like a neighborhood regulatory body that mandates what type of shit you can and cannot do with your house, and what your obligations are regarding upkeep and such. I lucked out to not be a part of one because I'd probably burn them to the ground over something petty, like my 10 foot AC: Black Flag flag in the yard. Although that's actually not petty, come to think of it. They can fuck right off.

Based on every story I hear about them, it just sounds like a bunch of bossy cunts that like the power of whining when they don't get their way.

I mean, if I'm a grown ass man paying mortgage, wtf do I look like getting ganged up on b/c my grass was .0002 inches too high?! I may as well just live in my mom's basement for free!

People who live in HOAs are probably the kids that used to tattle tale on you to the teacher over every insignificant thing.

The HOA I have seems OK. I live in a lake community and the HOA takes care of the beaches and boat launch etc.

The HOA I have seems OK. I live in a lake community and the HOA takes care of the beaches and boat launch etc.

Mine cuts my grass, removes my snow, does upkeep on my landscaping, etc. That's in addition to the community center which has a gym, pool, golf simulator, putting green, horseshoe pit, among other things. So yeah, I don't hate being in an HOA right now.

People purchase a home knowing the HOA is in place.

HOA's ensure the value of your home isn't diminished by assholes who dont take care of their shit. It's a protection of your investment.

They are a pain but they help keep your home values high.

I was in one when I had a condo for work in another city. It was really convenient.

One of my neighbors was massively pissed that she got a $1000 fine for putting a non-approved door. She wanted me to sign a letter claiming that it was bullshit but after hearing her story i was like, "meh". Her excuse was that her contractor told her the door was approved.

The way I look at it is that the HOA took care of everythign outside of the walls of my place, and that worked well. The Standards they had were the wish of 99% of the owners. We had the power to change something if it didn't work but I don't think anything changed in 7 yrs.

HOA's exist to assure that there will be enough funds to maintain some type of community asset. Whether its a highrise, which would need insurance to fund a 15 million rebuild, or rowhouses, that may need new roofs replaced here and there. I'm in a $65 a month HOA where we have a single 500k roadway looping around the property; thats the only thing our dues would ever cover. Fortunately mine has no restrictions on what we can do to the houses. However, too many colors makes a million dollar neighborhood look like tijuana.

When an HOA is in a newer subdivision they may cover roads and sewers that the city said they wouldn't pay for. Also, newer subdivisions tend to have a vested interest in homogeneity. When all the buildings are the same model/style/shape it would look weird for them to be random colors. New owners buy because of the cohesive style, property value is maintained and it continues on.

Because I don't want to live next to the guy who decides he wants to park three dead cars on his front lawn for that special day when he can fix them all. We literally had a lady just driving over the sidewalk in her jeep and parking in her yard killing the grass and making her house look like shit. HOA put a stop to that shit.

Seems like almost a necessity these days, what with society having gone full retard.

I've been fortunate. The current HOA I belong too is small, and the treasurer is someone I know very well. Overall the group has left me alone, thankfully.

The new President has understandably irked some people in our group. I'm not part of a portion of the HOA agreement, and I'm thankful for that, as the President didn't appear to not know what he was doing when trying to upgrade an area. Basically he arranged and spent thousands of dollars in attorney fees when he didn't need to. To make matters worse appears the city is not going to approve the project. All that money was spent for nothing.

Most people that complain about HOAs are the idiots that don't take care of their property or engage in other asinine behavior. Yes you hear of a few horror stories about crazy stuff but that's the exception not the rule. That would be the equivalent of hearing about a few bad car wrecks and being like "I don't know why anyone would drive a car when all the stories I hear are of car wrecks".

Basically if you have money, and pay for a nice house its nice to have some insurance that someone isn't gonna move across the street and neglect their shit. I know people that live in more rural areas where they had very nice houses and people move across or down the street and the next thing they know they never keep their yard up or have a bunch of fucked up cars parked everywhere and it makes the whole area seem worse. The only people that would have problems with the average HOA is someone that is poor or too lazy to engage in regular upkeep.

It’s almost mandatory for suburbia these days. Mines around 12 bucks a month, pays for maintenance of landscape throughout the subdivision. Never had any issues. They have rules but unless your being a neusance or want to paint your house some fucked up color .You can probably get away with whatever

I’ll never do it. Fuck having people tell me what I can and can’t do with my own house.

I was in one when I had a condo for work in another city. It was really convenient.

One of my neighbors was massively pissed that she got a $1000 fine for putting a non-approved door. She wanted me to sign a letter claiming that it was bullshit but after hearing her story i was like, "meh". Her excuse was that her contractor told her the door was approved.

The way I look at it is that the HOA took care of everythign outside of the walls of my place, and that worked well. The Standards they had were the wish of 99% of the owners. We had the power to change something if it didn't work but I don't think anything changed in 7 yrs.

See, this is the shit I'm talking about.

A thousand dollar fine b/c someone doesn't like my door?

Seriously...?

That sounds like some Black Mirror, dystopian society.

Back