Why Is Modern Pop Music So Terrible?

That's a crock of horseshit.

When I like a song, the connection is instant.

I don't need to hear it in traffic a million times a day to have it entrenched into my psyche and then say the song grew on me like mold.

That's part of the problem the original video addresses, valuing the potential for an instant connection by making simplistic and familiar music over something more subtle and original that might take a few listens to fully appreciate.

That's part of the problem I would say, valuing the potential for an instant connection by making simplistic and familiar music over something more subtle and original that might take a few listens to fully appreciate.

Most people appreciate music as background silence breakers or dance accompaniments.

Those who actually lie down with a good pair of cans to dissect a musical piece to the sonic bone marrow are few and far in between.

Most people appreciate music as background silence breakers or dance accompaniments.

Those who actually lie down with a good pair of cans to dissect a musical piece to the sonic bone marrow are few and far in between.

Yeah I wouldn't disagree, those behind this music certainly know what they are doing.

Most all "pop" songs whether country pop, pop, rap pop, soul pop, and rock pop have that one ponytail'd grey haired dude with a fanny pack crafting, mixing, writing, playing, and mastering the songs into hits.

seems to me that a bunch of people came into this thread, didnt watch the video and just attacked and acted like jerk offs for the sake of it.

Most of the things mentioned in the video, have been well known to music-afficionados for a long ass time however, familiarity and hooks sell.

I dont particualrly care - I'll listen to whatever the fuck I dig and want, and im certainly more on the metal/rock side when it comes to music, but it is interesting none the less.

In before, i must be a fat grub who doesnt go to clubs cause I have not heard any modern pop music in a long ass time I've dug
THANK YOU, finally someone posted after actually watching the video. :)

Probably because these days, it takes 5-10 people to write one very simple song. When it's just a couple of people getting together to create something, whether it's pop, rock, etc. it's more personal and it shows.

The old meme of Bohemian Rhapsody being solely written by Freddy Mercury vs. Beyonce's song is true for just about every modern pop song. Imagine John Lennon and Paul McCartney needing a room full of writers and producers to do what they did for 10 years.

View attachment 271427
It's even funnier when you notice that the pic includes only 25% of Bohemian Rhapsody lyrics...

I do find it very interested that we have a kind of secret history of pop music with a collection of writters responable for so much of it yet almost totally unknown to the public.

There are certainly degrees at play here though, using such people does not mean you have no input nore that the music comes out as entirely bland, Rick Nowels for example wrote part of...

yeah, but this is about pop music. Rolling Blackouts or Born Ruffians isn't be played on the radio.
Checked out both.

Rolling Blackouts seem very brit-indie-rock Oasis/BlocParty/FranzFerdinand kinda influenced. Not my thing entirely but sounds nice.

Born Ruffians is more pop to my ear. Also sounds nice, got me swaying actually. Got any more non-mainstream modern pop music which is actually good? :)

I do find it very interested that we have a kind of secret history of pop music with a collection of writters responable for so much of it yet almost totally unknown to the public.

There are certainly degrees at play here though, using such people does not mean you have no input nore that the music comes out as entirely bland, Rick Nowels for example wrote part of...

Well no wonder. Rick Nowels wrote stuff for/with Madonna, Rod Stewart and Mel C. That's a notch above Bieber and Katie Perry, eh? ;)

Checked out both.

Rolling Blackouts seem very brit-indie-rock Oasis/BlocParty/FranzFerdinand kinda influenced. Not my thing entirely but sounds nice.

Born Ruffians is more pop to my ear. Also sounds nice, got me swaying actually. Got any more non-mainstream modern pop music which is actually good? :)

You still have to pick through to find stuff you like. As usual with most bands, I prefer their earlier stuff.

Here’s a few to get started: a little eclectic but hey, pop should be.

Jamie T

Brett Dennen

Parquet Courts

Kate Nash

!!! (CHK CHK CHK)

The Devil Makes Three

Some more mainstream stuff like:

Vampire Weekend

Arcade Fire

Alt-J

Modest Mouse

There are a lot of bands where I really only like one or two songs from them, but they’re damn good songs.

Perfect example right here, the rest of their stuff isn’t bad but not my taste exactly.

You still have to pick through to find stuff you like. As usual with most bands, I prefer their earlier stuff.

Here’s a few to get started: a little eclectic but hey, pop should be.

Jamie T

Brett Dennen

Parquet Courts

Kate Nash

!!! (CHK CHK CHK)

The Devil Makes Three

Some more mainstream stuff like:

Vampire Weekend

Arcade Fire

Alt-J

Modest Mouse

There are a lot of bands where I really only like one or two songs from them, but they’re damn good songs.

Perfect example right here, the rest of their stuff isn’t bad but not my taste exactly.

Thanks. I really appreciate the effort, even though most of these didn't hit the target for me.

Didn't like Silversun Pickups that much. OK but not super. 6/10

Jamie T - decent I guess 6/10

Brett Dennen - ok for a teenage girl idol but not for me 5/10

Parquet Courts - pretty good! 8/10

Kate Nash - nope 4/10

!!! (CHK CHK CHK) - not bad 7/10

The Devil Makes Three - not bad 7/10

Vampire Weekend - knew these guys already 8/10

Arcade Fire - knew these guys already 7/10

Alt-J - nope 4/10

Modest Mouse - not bad 7/10

For me personally, there are only two mainstream "popular" modern bands which are really good. And neither is new. Daft Punk and Jamiroquai.

It's very hit or miss with every genre lately, but there's good music out there to be found. Rap is hurting pretty bad though with all these random weird ones, Lil Pump, that xxxtenwhatever guy, 21 Savage, catch me outside chick, Slim Jesus, and many others.

It's very hit or miss with every genre lately, but there's good music out there to be found. Rap is hurting pretty bad though with all these random weird ones, Lil Pump, that xxxtenwhatever guy, 21 Savage, catch me outside chick, Slim Jesus, and many others.
Chris Rock knew it was coming.

Remember when this was pop?

Nowadays, unless you're a chick or a gay guy, pop music won't resonate with you.

Remember when this was pop?

Nowadays, unless you're a chick or a gay guy, pop music won't resonate with you.

One of my all time favorites! And the music video is marvelous! :)

It's called Pop music, it literally means popular. It exists within a capitalist system. I'll lay it out

One day, some asshole said "You know what? I'm good at getting people to see musical acts. I'm going to represent them, and they'll pay me for the help I give them!"

Later

One day, some asshole said "You know what? I am so good at promoting these musical acts, I'm rich!! But I have bigger plans, I'll need to hire like minded individuals to expand."

Later

One day, some asshole says "You know what? We've become so rich representing these artists, we now have way more money than them. We should start buying the rights to music from the artists. Maybe we can even get them to sign contracts in which we get a majority of their profit, but we'll integrate that plan slowly"

Later

One day, some asshole says "You know what? We're in the business of art, so we should get some say in the art!"

Later

One day, some asshole says "You know what? We kind of know what people like, but let's use science, and moneyball this art shit!!"

GAME OVER

I bet in the early 2000s you hipsters and macho-wannabes were complaining about Brittney Spears and Shakira.

Fucking dorks.

I bet in the early 2000s you hipsters and macho-wannabes were complaining about Brittney Spears and Shakira.

Fucking dorks.
Did you watch the video? No you didn't, since if you did you would know that Britney Spears had her music written by same dude who writes for Bieber and Katy Petty - she's part of the music industry scam to force-feed shit music to sheeple.

Back