Why is nobody talking about Pereira gassing after round 1?

KanoKanito

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Jiri gassed him out on the ground. In round two he was taking big breaths and his footwork became a lot worse. In round 1 he had no problems using his footwork and picking Jiri apart, then Jiri took him down and when round 2 started Pereira was clearly gassed and jiri started to have some success here and there. I think Pereira gas tank was exposed here, at least if he gets taken down he seems to gas.

lol.

Why? I’m guessing because he won by KO after you say he was gassed. Wrestling is taxing on both fighters.

Brilliant.

Agree.. That's one thing I've noticed with Pereira, he seems to gas pretty quickly but he is still very dangerous. If you can make to the 3rd round, he is in big trouble. He gets sloppy as the time goes on.

Did not see him as gassed.

Last edited:
Gassed is a pretty strong word. They had a good 1st round and if you haven't watched his style, he's not always a slugfest guy especially when you fight an unorthodox fighter in Jiri

Reading all these stupid posts you'd think Pereira had a losing record in the UFC.

You aren't using the word gassing correctly. Breathing more heavily after a round of fighting is not gassing.
look at his footwork in round 1 and then look at his footwork in round 2 and you will see he was gassed in round 2

I'm sure Jiri is a big lug to try prying off you. Most guys would be breathing heavy after that. Goes without saying that big man grappling is tiring.

He definitely looked weird in there. He was getting sloppy with his hands down and moving backwards. It looked like he was gassed or lost his confidence. He made it work but that was weird look for him.

Agree.. That's one thing I've noticed with Pereira, he seems to gas pretty quickly but he is still very dangerous. If you can make to the 3rd round, he is in big trouble. He gets sloppy as the time goes on.
He is fine if he is not taken down, but he does gas if he gets taken down. This is very bad news for him if he fights the likes of Ankalaev.

The stoppage was so bad it sucked the air out of the event and overshadowed a lot of what happened

Jiri gassed him out on the ground. In round two he was taking big breaths and his footwork became a lot worse. In round 1 he had no problems using his footwork and picking Jiri apart, then Jiri took him down and when round 2 started Pereira was clearly gassed and jiri started to have some success here and there. I think Pereira gas tank was exposed here, at least if he gets taken down he seems to gas.

Do you think maybe, just maybe, he adjusted his footwork and planted his feet more which limits movement. Jiri was going to come forward throwing multiple strikes or try and run into the clinch with him,so he adjusted and decided to catch him coming in with a big shot and to defend the takedown better?

Not everyone needs to be a light on their feet outside striker a dn pick people apart to be successful. Alex has never been that guy in any of his fights.

I think people should be talking about the power he had to drop Jiri with such a short left hook. Or does Jiri just have a glass chin? I think its a bit of both.

Back