Why isn't Volk more popular among fans?

He's just kind of a normal guy. Doesn't necessarily have "it", when it comes to his personality. Sometimes its hard to put a finger on exactly what "it" is. But you know when someone has it.

Agreed. A lot of people seem to think it always comes down to WWE gimmicks, real or fake beefs, and finishes, but you need to have something personality wise that makes people care about you. Call it charisma, call it gravitas, call it presence, whatever. Its why prime Robert de Niro was able to dominate almost every scene he was in, it wasnt just that hes such a good actor, simply his presence onscreen almost always demanded your attention.

Everyone can have “it” in their own way. Pereira has superstar potential just by having the look and presence of an icecold killer combined with the fighting style. Masvidal had enough personality that the flying knee hl and Till KO made him a superstar. Meanwhile the GOAT of the sport Jon Jones never became a real PPV blockbuster except for when he had his feud with DC.

Up until last night, alot of people (myself included), thought Max was the superior fighter. Volk's performance completely put the question of "who's better" to rest, and the vast majority of people are now accepting that he is the best FW, and near the top of the p4p list. With that being said, fan interest and overall support for Volk remains relatively small.

You look at things like Instagram, YouTube and MMA forums, and Volk doesn't generate nearly as much fan interest as other fighters. Even newcomers and non champion fighters like O'Malley and Strickland triple the social media presence.

The strange part is that Volk has all the characteristics of someone who should be a superstar : Exciting fights, very active, zero ducking, good guy in and out of the ring, and dominant.

It sort of reminds me of pre Heel Cejudo, Mighty Mouse and Whitaker..... But somehow even less popular.

What's Volk missing?
Good question. I think it's the combination of his lack of trash talk, series of decisions, and that he's not a heavyweight.

Multiple factors that have already been mentioned: not enough personality for mainstream appeal, no infamy/notoriety, unpopular division, point fighter/fighting (never seen this term used in intelligent discussion), bad UFC marketing, etc etc. Aussies haven't fully embraced MMA yet and the general attitude is mostly condescending and not treated as a real sport like League.

I actually quite like being part of a smaller fanbase because the ones that get big enough (GSP, McGregor, Khabib, etc) always turn into absolute garbage. The ppl who make disparaging comments towards Volko are the same ones that I don't ever wanna see supporting him.

Show your hypothetical clueless friend any of Volk's last 3 fights or equally watch them yourself, if you or he thinks they weren't entertaining you both should probably stay away from MMA to the end of your days.
If you found that absolute clinic and beat down of one of the guys with supposedly some of the best boxing in the UFC boring, if you think Volk Ortega was exciting purely because of Ortega and that Zombie fight wasn't entertaining I don't know what to tell you other than it may be time call it a day on the MMA front, on a positive note, nice AV. Odds your just using this as a coping mechanism with Max down 3 zip to Volk and out of contention for a title shot for the foreseeable future.
Comments like these are the ones that I don't wanna see from Volko fans. Intolerant, whiney & cares too much about what low IQ ppl think... I never wanna see the day that we end up as bad as Khabieber or Coner fans
<{clintugh}>

I can't believe a sherdogger watches the bachelor, wtf bro.
It's Bachelor AU it's acceptable. (Just) also that guy WAS once an Australian Rugby Player and he's a bit of a larrikan so it passes. He still needs to slap his damn self though.

Hard to really tell.

Aussies are not all that much of a presence anywhere apart from Dundee and fosters 30 years ago and a few landmarks so that might be one reason, then he also fights people with Large fan bases like Aldo and Max so that will never help either.

Now after this last fight he will be way more popular though.

Amazing fighter but appears bland as old coffee.

He surgically rekt Max. I was pretty damn awed even thou I expected Volk to win.

Some folks don't shine to the masses... Meh

Up until last night, alot of people (myself included), thought Max was the superior fighter. Volk's performance completely put the question of "who's better" to rest, and the vast majority of people are now accepting that he is the best FW, and near the top of the p4p list. With that being said, fan interest and overall support for Volk remains relatively small.

You look at things like Instagram, YouTube and MMA forums, and Volk doesn't generate nearly as much fan interest as other fighters. Even newcomers and non champion fighters like O'Malley and Strickland triple the social media presence.

The strange part is that Volk has all the characteristics of someone who should be a superstar : Exciting fights, very active, zero ducking, good guy in and out of the ring, and dominant.

It sort of reminds me of pre Heel Cejudo, Mighty Mouse and Whitaker..... But somehow even less popular.

What's Volk missing?

are you just acting retarded?

Since when did UFC fighters garner the most attention by being the a good fighter?

Why isn't Leon Edwards past the mill mark on IG?

I'll just take this as a brain fart

ortega was the chosen one, but volk plot armored through a SUNK submission

Reactions: HHJ
He's won me over.

Prior to that, he seemed like a great fighter but was very boring. He's going for the kill lately and his fights are fun to watch

hes a bit bland as a fighter and as a character. amazing skills and a great guy seems like but i doubt many people watch a volk fight or anything volk related and get amped up. its not because hes not a just bleed kinda fighter. petr yan is a good example of a fighter that is, like volk:
1) small
2) super technical and methodical

yet when you watch him fight you get that "stand up and shadowbox" hyped up feeling

volk does not give you that

That's why he has no fans. Because only a few REAL MMA FANS (who also like WMMA and FLW by the way) can appreciate his boring standup darting in and out.
Nah don't double down on it, that was a terrible take

He has pillow hands and is just kinda "meh" in the "X factor" department. That is just how the Kiwis are, not too loud, mostly quiet and confident types of people.

Take GSP, arguably the same type of fighter, but he had a huge Canuck following and was easy on the eyes

He has pillow hands and is just kinda "meh" in the "X factor" department. That is just how the Kiwis are, not too loud, mostly quiet and confident types of people.

Take GSP, arguably the same type of fighter, but he had a huge Canuck following and was easy on the eyes

Volk is from Australia and also lives in South Wales (although I suppose he also holds his camps at City Kickboxing)..... and Adesanya, Hooker are about as far from humble and quiet as one can get.

Your probably right in general though.

I hate City Kickboxing. I hate their coaches, I hate their fighters, I hate their style. If I see someone from City Kickboxing competing, I automatically root for the other guy.

Fuck City Kickboxing.

That's why he has no fans. Because only a few REAL MMA FANS (who also like WMMA and FLW by the way) can appreciate his boring standup darting in and out.
You haven't watched his last three fights and you sound as ignorant about them as you are.

Maybe you should stop acting like an expert on fights you haven't seen and you'll sound less stupid.

Back