Why no talk about the CFL and the Grey Cup

manlyseaeagle

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
As a Rugby fan I do like taking notice of other more contact sports like Aussie Rules, Hurling and NFL but I noticed that no one talks about NFL's cousin the CFL and not even a thread on the Grey Cup......WHY ?

No one cares about what happens in Mexico North.

You'll notice there is no thread on D League basketball, Minor League Baseball playoffs, the arena league, etc.

giphy.gif

Because when it comes to football we are like Ron Swanson with the CFL.

As a Rugby fan I do like taking notice of other more contact sports like Aussie Rules, Hurling and NFL but I noticed that no one talks about NFL's cousin the CFL and not even a thread on the Grey Cup......WHY ?
nobody in Canada gives a fuck about the Canadian football league.

I think Baltimore had a team in the CFL for one year. They won the championship and then still left because no one cared.

I think Baltimore had a team in the CFL for one year. They won the championship and then still left because no one cared.
Just looked this up. Apparently Baltimore won a "Championship" in their second season, then bounced LMAO. Sacramento, San Antonio, Memphis, Birmingham, Vegas and some place called Shreveport also had teams in the CFL for some reason. As soon as Toronto gets an NFL team I'm sure they'll move the CFL franchise to some shithole in Manitoba where they give a shit. A few years ago Bon Jovi was part of a group trying to bring a team here. Not sure what happened with that. It's just a matter of time though I assume

Just looked this up. Apparently Baltimore won a "Championship" in their second season, then bounced LMAO. Sacramento, San Antonio, Memphis, Birmingham, Vegas and some place called Shreveport also had teams in the CFL for some reason. As soon as Toronto gets an NFL team I'm sure they'll move the CFL franchise to some shithole in Manitoba where they give a shit. A few years ago Bon Jovi was part of a group trying to bring a team here. Not sure what happened with that. It's just a matter of time though I assume
So 2 years, ok. The only thing I remember about them besides them winning and leaving is that they wanted to call them the Colts, and when they couldn't they started calling them the Baltimore CFL's. I think they did pick a name eventually, but I don't remember. It was at least 20 years ago, and again, no one gave a shit. Lol.

Why not put an NFL team or teams in Canada? It do great.

Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver not that far of a trip for NFL cities.

Its funny but looking at the list of attendance in sports league's around the it's got the CFL ahead of the NHL as the 11th biggest attendance in the world and 4.3 million tv viewership is not to be sniffed at.

I think the NFL wants to but it's on the list after Mexico and London.

I think the NFL wants to but it's on the list after Mexico and London.
That doesn't really make much sense. Toronto is the third largest market in North America (minus Mexico city) with am established football culture, lucrative pro teams in all other major sports, close proximity to the East coast and Midwest, and groups with the money willing to make it happen. I think Buffalo is the only obstacle in the way.

Its funny but looking at the list of attendance in sports league's around the it's got the CFL ahead of the NHL as the 11th biggest attendance in the world and 4.3 million tv viewership is not to be sniffed at.
CFL games are played in stadiums while NHL games are played in arenas.

That doesn't really make much sense. Toronto is the third largest market in North America (minus Mexico city) with am established football culture, lucrative pro teams in all other major sports, close proximity to the East coast and Midwest, and groups with the money willing to make it happen. I think Buffalo is the only obstacle in the way.
Have you seen the stadiums in London and Mexico City when they play there? Doesn't matter the teams they're routinely sold out.

Vancouver couldn't support a team. It's 60% hippies, 40% Chinese. Montreal loves football, but nobody wants to play in a French speaking foreign city. Plus it's a lot colder and further from other cities compared to Toronto

Have you seen the stadiums in London and Mexico City when they play there? Doesn't matter the teams they're routinely sold out.
Yeah, it's a novelty game. The raptors play pre season games all over shit hole cities in Canada that sellout in seconds. Novelty. Also, the logistics don't make much sense for a full season in Europe and the exchange rate to mexico would likely lead to insane profit sharing to keep them afloat.

Football is the third most popular in Southern Ontario behind Hockey and baseball. Both those sports have had successful pro teams for decades. And again, Toronto is a larger market with more money than any city in the US apart from New York and LA. It makes much more sense than Europe or a third world country

Toronto would be a good market, I really thought the Bills might move there when there was ownership turbulence, most Ontario football fans make the pilgrimage once or twice a year anyway. If they move to Toronto you know tickets would triple in price and everyone would be too polite to powerbomb anyone through a coffee table.

On topic though the Grey Cup was great this year, even as a bitter Ticats fan.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back