Why Romero Beat Costa (Statistics)

Compustrike literally counts any head shot as a significant strike landed. In round 2 and 3, Yoel would tap tap tap Costa to the head and body, like he was gauging distance, and those are counted as significant strikes.

Can't always go by strike #s.
I went with the pure stats because i felt it was clear to see that yoel hurt costa many more times than costa hurt yoel. Costa to be fair did land the single most damaging strike of the fight in the first.

Ah you misunderstood me. Im not arguing the decision. Im legit saying its too bad they didnt just go straightforward and blast eachother till 1 slept. I told a bud at work this fight is gonna be like smashing 2 bricks together till 1 breaks

lol <{jackyeah}>

Great fight man, loved it. Extremely exciting from both men, and it was not 1 sided either.

I have no clue how the judges gave Costa a unanimous decision

It's called "judge tampering". UFC doesn't want Romero fighting for the title again, so they do a little palm greasing and tell the judges "if it's a close fight, give the decision to Costa." You can see it happening in other fights too, like Reyes vs Volkan.

Lets not forget that perfectly timed eyepoke Yoel landed just as he was getting tagged with bombs... :D

Then Yoel immediately goes to the cage and hangs his arms up to rest. Thats a bit odd isnt it? Hes not even looking to see if Costa is okay and wants to continue.. instead he lands a big poke and then immediately goes to rest at the cage, back turned to his opponent.. Fishy.

And the ref had to keep warning him because he was getting advice from his corner, which is not allowed in a time out.

I went with the pure stats because i felt it was clear to see that yoel hurt costa many more times than costa hurt yoel. Costa to be fair did land the single most damaging strike of the fight in the first.

Disagree. I think Costa not only landed the more damaging strikes, consistently, but his strikes caused more damage in the fight as well.

do you really feel costa did more damage in any round but round 1, the guy was getting rocked consistently in the 2nd and 3rd from counter strikes while also being out struck in pure numbers. Yoel landed the more damaging strikes in round 2 and 3 and landed more strikes, while also landing more strikes to the most important region the head.

You're inventing a narrative of round 2 that didn't happen.

Significant strikes: Romero outlanding
romero: 125
costa: 118

Strikes to the head: Romero landed 43.3%!!!!!! more punches to the head (contains the brain and should be regarded as more effective than strikes to the leg/body).

Stipes body strikes to DC beg to differ

Strikes to the head: Romero landed 43.3%!!!!!! more punches to the head (contains the brain and should be regarded as more effective than strikes to the leg/body).
<Dany07>

Stipe absorbed over 160 significant strikes to his head.

Won the fight with about 6 body shots.

<Dany07>

Stipe absorbed over 160 significant strikes to his head.

Won the fight with about 6 body shots.
to be fair stipe actually finished the fight and the fight was eventually ended by strikes to the head. The amount of fights ended by strikes to the head compared to body can't even compare.

Costa pressured Romero the whole fight and landed heavier shots, rocked Romero too if i remember right. Costa won clearly..

I also saw Yoel winning this, by very little though. A lot of Yoel's jabs went unanswered in the later rounds. I'm so impressed at how Romero (at his age, milage, and build) can be in such close competitive fight with a young killer like Costa. Yoel truly is a legend and really should be respected.

romero: 96
costa: 67
Romero outstruck costa to the head in every round.

Round 1: both had a knockdown but costa's knockdown was the most significant strike of the fight. Romero landed 4 more strikes to the head but was outstruck in total by 5.
10-9 costa

round 2: Yoel out strikes costa in total strikes, strikes to the head, strikes to the leg and gets the only takedown of the fight. The only stat Yoel loses out on is body shots.
10-9 romero

round 3: Romero lands more total strikes, LANDED 87.5% MORE HEAD STRIKES and more strikes to the leg.
10-9 romero

29-28 romero

Costa landed the most effective strike of the fight but Yoel clearly hurt Costa several more times than Costa did Yoel. I have no clue how the judges gave Costa a unanimous decision most of his strikes were blocked by Yoel. Costa i feel got way more credit just because people didn't expect him to do so well.

View attachment 632011

The guy ended up in a wheelchair.

http://ufcstats.com/fight-details/3e16a71836e85212

You do realize this is MMA and not point karate, right? And that landing the most strikes doesn't necessarily win you a round?

Fuckin casuals, man...

So basically, if you went into that fight wanting Romero to win, then you scored it for him. Everyone else scored it for Costa. Easiest 2 to 1 fight I've ever scored. The judges seem to agree. paulo-costa-yoel-romero-ufc-241-scorecard.jpg

5A90B0A5243B62B5987CD12F2141A13447A7D228

Also, that significant strike count is counted on the fly, as they see it in real time and there's no time to waste on reconsidering (I think they revisit it after the fight some days later, but I'm not sure) and Romero threw a bunch of little pitter patter little strikes that didn't cause any damage. In contrast, close to everything Costa discharged was with mean intentions.

I honestly think people are trolling. I didn't give him a single round. He was just backing off and eating everything, not giving any indication he was there to win. I'm glad Costa didn't get robbed and got the W.

Thanks for your input man. To me it was as clear as day who the victor was!

I am guessing if you muted the audio it leans even more on Costas side, as Rogan always gets mad hype if Yoel does anything, even if its just a gassed jab. after Costa landed 3 right hooks to his chin.

Can’t fight off your back foot if you’re gonna let it go to decision.

You do realize this is MMA and not point karate, right? And that landing the most strikes doesn't necessarily win you a round?

Fuckin casuals, man...
never said that, I felt like it was a simple fact that costa caused more damage in round 1 and yoel caused more in 2 and 3 and from there we could just look at the stats to see if ground could be caught up by pure volume.

Maybe Romero shouldn't have intentionally eyepoked Costa so he could get a much needed breather. Seems like Romero always finds a way to do something dirty to give himself time to catch his breath.

Maybe the judges saw that despite the ref clearly giving no fucks about it (or when DC poked stipe either).

WTF are these refs doing? Eyepokes are illegal. The rules have been changed to make outstretched hands illegal and yet two of the fighters on the card last night did flat out intentional eyepokes and fought with fingers outstretched.

And yet no penalties....

Costa was aggressor first 2 rds and looked like he was doing most damage 1st 2 rds. Right fighter won.

In a close fight I would rather have the young un beaten fighter get win than a 42 year old with a few fights left

Back