Movies Why was Only God Forgives polarizing compared to Drive?

I Fusion I

Everything you can imagine is real
@Brown
Reaction score

I thought it was a great film, very underrated. The themes about god/odepius complex and the imagery was also very original.

Great directing, cinematography and soundtrack as well. It's not for everyone and the pacing is kinda slow for a 83 minutes movie but idk why it got panned and trashed compared to Drive, when they're two completely different films.

I remember it as slower than Drive, but yes I loved it as well. But many slow meandering tension building scenes, which people dont have attentionspan for these days. But i liked the neo-noir style of the film a lot personally.

I remember it as slower than Drive, but yes I loved it as well. But many slow meandering tension building scenes, which people dont have attentionspan for these days. But i liked the neo-noir style of the film a lot personally.

I'm not the best at attention yet, I could focus on the movie and other like this without an issue.

Neo-noir and crime films and dark style si what I dig though so this can be a reason.

I mean it was a weird symbolic spiritual film which are not popular

Drive was basic crime film with cool as fuck style

Liked both though

I think Drive ended up being a perfect mix for him, it has the same atmospheric arty visuals and extreme violence of a lot of his career but mixed in with a more relatable romance/drama.

If you like Drive and what something a bit similar I'd recommend The Guest, arguebly taking the piss out of Drive a bit but still works very well along similar lines.

"Drive" was an action thriller with art house stylings. OGF was pure art house, that is impenetrable for general audiences.

It wasn't as good as Drive. Pretty simple.
Didnt help it was staring the same person playing a very similar character.

I think "pretentious" is overused as a criticism but really I feel like Drive is the Refn film which manages to have a bit more substance to its ideas, feels like a drama were you can dig a bit deeper rather than throwing various ideas to the wind as Refn tends to otherwise.

Didnt help it was staring the same person playing a very similar character.

I think "pretentious" is overused as a criticism but really I feel like Drive is the Refn film which manages to have a bit more substance to its ideas, feels like a drama were you can dig a bit deeper rather than throwing various ideas to the wind as Refn tends to otherwise.
It was kind of an odd movie all around. Great tension, visuals and direction but honestly wtf really happened in it?

Drive at least had some characters and plot.

I hate all this guy's movies. The only good things in Drive were the music and Christina Hendricks' boobs.

Last edited:
I hate all this guy's movies. The only good things in Drive were the music and Christina Hendricks' boobs.
even the pusher trilogy and bleeder?

refens recent stuff doesn't do it for me. but his old stuff is awesome.

The Guest is fucking awesome. It's a pretty unique blend of a bunch of different genres and has a great soundtrack.

I think Drive ended up being a perfect mix for him, it has the same atmospheric arty visuals and extreme violence of a lot of his career but mixed in with a more relatable romance/drama.

If you like Drive and what something a bit similar I'd recommend The Guest, arguebly taking the piss out of Drive a bit but still works very well along similar lines.

even the pusher trilogy and bleeder?

refens recent stuff doesn't do it for me. but his old stuff is awesome.
He obviously has his own style but I just can't deal with the pretentiousness. And I swear I tried!

I think they came too close together and Drive is the much more accessible film to the general movie goer.

Personally I enjoyed both but Drive is the much more cohesive film.

Reactions: Zer
He obviously has his own style but I just can't deal with the pretentiousness. And I swear I tried!
have you seen pusher it's pretty unpretentious they are just Brittany crime flicks with pretty dark endings

Back