Wildcard Boxing Club Trainers

Hamburger Legs

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I was thinking about starting to box at the reknowned wildcard boxing club, but I wanted to know if anyone had any recommendations for any of the trainers there? I'm just starting out, so obviously I can't afford Freddie Roach, but I wasn't sure if any of the other trainers would be particularly good for a beginner as far as what I'd be getting for the price. Anyway, thanks in advance for the help.

I'm pretty sure most of the trainers will be good for beginners. Do you know any of the trainers? I think Freddie mostly only works with pros.

Fucking awesome. If I lived in LA I would sign up in a heart beat.

ummmm, I've only heard of "irish" tommy barret, and this other trainer with one eye that goes by "shane". I'm sure they're both probably fine for a n00b like me, just wasn't sure if it mattered all that much.

ummmm, I've only heard of "irish" tommy barret, and this other trainer with one eye that goes by "shane". I'm sure they're both probably fine for a n00b like me, just wasn't sure if it mattered all that much.

Yeah even if you were lucky enough to get freddie he wouldn't be able to teach you the advanced stuff anyway.

Tommy is good I worked with him once before. He helps supervise Manny's training camps I think. His style is very different than some of the other trainers. In fact, mostly all the trainers have differing styles

Tommy is good I worked with him once before. He helps supervise Manny's training camps I think. His style is very different than some of the other trainers. In fact, mostly all the trainers have differing styles

Nice, thanks for the advice. I'll call Tommy later this week to setup the first lesson. I'll report back to let you know my findings.

does anybody know how much the prices are in wildcard boxing for private training?

Not sure about private training, but I think it is around 50 dollars a month.

I'm pretty sure most of the trainers will be good for beginners. Do you know any of the trainers? I think Freddie mostly only works with pros.

hey is freddy approachable enough that you could walk up to him and ask him about a technique? would he give you a mini lesson or at least impart some words of wisdom? lol hes prolly to busy thouhg to really approach.

I think the $50 dollars a month is an "open gym" fee. If i read their website correctly, you then have to pay for the training fees.

its a good gym I trained there for a bit but i live 40(that a long trip in L.A traffic) miles away in Long beach so i had to stop going, L.A boxing academy(the yard muay thai is next door) is pretty good too.

the price of 50 usd is great... but i thougth on private lessons 1:1 ..

does anybody have the schedule of wcb??

If some of you really had the interest you would at least visit Wildcard's website to the schedule and phone number to get pricing.

Hours of Operation
Monday-Friday: 7am-8pm
Saturday: 9am-4pm
Sunday: Closed

I've called about private and it varies on which trainer you work with, probably in the range of 25-100 dollars per hour.

Even though Freddie works mostly with top prospects at the gym, I'm sure he would point out instruction to anyone who needs advice. Even though he's a high profile trainer now, I think he's at the gym everyday still.

I don't see why one would need private training right off the bat with no boxing experience. I would reserve that for someone who needs to polish up their skills. Nothing wrong with joining a beginner class and learning the basics with other people IMHO. Its Freddie Roach's gym. I'm pretty sure Freddie has a decent staff working with/for him.

I don't see why one would need private training right off the bat with no boxing experience. I would reserve that for someone who needs to polish up their skills. Nothing wrong with joining a beginner class and learning the basics with other people IMHO. Its Freddie Roach's gym. I'm pretty sure Freddie has a decent staff working with/for him.

Beginner or Pro, working with a private instructor who can give you pointers about your every move for entire hour is much more beneficial. A beginner would learn the basics much quicker and not develop bad habits on their own. It's retarded to say personal training isn't worth it just because someone's a beginner. If you can afford it, get as much PT as you can.

Beginner or Pro, working with a private instructor who can give you pointers about your every move for entire hour is much more beneficial. A beginner would learn the basics much quicker and not develop bad habits on their own. It's retarded to say personal training isn't worth it just because someone's a beginner. If you can afford it, get as much PT as you can.

If you can afford then sure why not but how many private sessions will he need to buy to perfect his technique? Even if you have someone standing in front of you telling you what you are doing wrong, it doesn't mean that you will automatically correct right away. Repitition of the same movement will correct that and that is usually done on your own. Not only that, all it takes for the trainer is to watch their technique for a few minutes, tell them what's wrong, then tell them to work on it. Then come back again to see if they improved.

does anybody know how the schedule of the official classes looks in wildcard?

does anybody know how the schedule of the official classes looks in wildcard?

Wildcard is a traditional boxing gym. It doesn't offer "classes". It's a real fighters gym. You go there do your own warm up, shadow boxing, etc. Then you hit the bag or whatever and work the mitts with the trainer. You can also work on your defense by yourself. It's not no Mc Dojo or commerical MMA gym where you take classes. It's just open from 8-9. You go there and train.

Back