Wilder vs Ortiz close for Barclays in October

Who wins and how, Wilder or Ortiz?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
He didn't do better than Pulev against Chisora.
And that was his last fight too.

Plus, I think the version of AJ that Whyte fought was too green for that conclusion as well. He was AJ's first decent opponent in all his pro career. AJ improved since then, and it showed from the boxing skills against Klitschko. I don't see any change in Whyte at all.

I'd rather wait to see how Wilder does against Cuban Kong first, but if I was forced to guess, Wilder Knocks out Dillian middle rounds.

Good points.

He's got thunder in both hands and good movement, I think he could be in and amongst the best of the division if the right circumstances are met.

Apparently Stiverne no showed a mandatory drug test. That should throw a wrench in his plans to stop this fight.

Ortiz is a harder fight for Deontay then Joshua is. Joshua fights straight up and down. There aren't many angles you have to deal with. He's a puncher not a boxer.

I'd say the same for Joshua as well! Ortiz has very good fundamentals and it'd be a tough fight. Wilders way to open and my money would be on Joshua knocking him out by mid rounds

My impression is that British boxing fans know of/about Wilder, and either don't know Ortiz or often have a low opinion of Ortiz given that his last two fights are the only ones they've seen.

I think the fact that he fought on a couple of hearns ppv cards is the only reason his name is even recognised over here. I'll be honest I'd only ever seen him fight once or twice before that

I'd say the same for Joshua as well! Ortiz has very good fundamentals and it'd be a tough fight. Wilders way to open and my money would be on Joshua knocking him out by mid rounds
Really think Wilder/Joshua ends with the first to land the big punch. They both have shit defense and have been hurt multiple times. I see both of them looking for the kill the moment the other is hurt. Joshua gave Wlad his due respect there, cant see him doing that with Wilder.

Really think Wilder/Joshua ends with the first to land the big punch. They both have shit defense and have been hurt multiple times. I see both of them looking for the kill the moment the other is hurt. Joshua gave Wlad his due respect there, cant see him doing that with Wilder.

the main issue with this is, that Joshua has been hurt by guys who genuinly punch, and has survived, we really don't know how Wilder is going to react when he gets popped by someone with a big shot as he has fought stiffs

the main issue with this is, that Joshua has been hurt by guys who genuinly punch, and has survived, we really don't know how Wilder is going to react when he gets popped by someone with a big shot as he has fought stiffs
Im not doubting Joshuas toughness. Wilder, although he can get sloppy, doesnt let off the gas once he smells blood.

I didnt see that killer urgency from Whyte or Wlad.

Wilder is not a name. No one gives a shit about him honestly.

Not saying AJ is ducking or anything like that but lacking drawing power isnt why they arent in a hurry to fight him. Ortiz is the worst style matchup for AJ imo. Pretty widely at that.
Wilder is known to the boxing public here in the UK, maybe not so much the casual fan but no one apart from boxing hardcore know Ortiz. Why would they fight a dangerous opponent like Ortiz if they would have big problems promoting the fight, it just doesn't make sense. I agree Ortiz is a bad style matchup but that's not the only reason they won't want to fight him. As I said if Ortiz pulls the upset and beats Wilder then AJ will have Ortiz as his next opponent. It's an easy sell to market it as the man that beat Wilder plus with a belt to go with it.

Wilder is known to the boxing public here in the UK, maybe not so much the casual fan but no one apart from boxing hardcore know Ortiz. Why would they fight a dangerous opponent like Ortiz if they would have big problems promoting the fight, it just doesn't make sense. I agree Ortiz is a bad style matchup but that's not the only reason they won't want to fight him. As I said if Ortiz pulls the upset and beats Wilder then AJ will have Ortiz as his next opponent. It's an easy sell to market it as the man that beat Wilder plus with a belt to go with it.
Its amazing how hypocritical this is for this forum. Since its Joshua its ok to avoid the hard fight because it doesnt sell as well?

I can think of a lot of other fighters who got shit on for taking the bigger $ opponents. I dont have a problem with it, I believe strongly in athletes maximizing their earning potential. But man, this forum loves to shit on fighters who do this same thing.

Its amazing how hypocritical this is for this forum. Since its Joshua its ok to avoid the hard fight because it doesnt sell as well?
Yes because we know that he will fight Ortiz if he beats Wilder because people will know who he is. That's how promotion works. And he just got done fighting a hard fight against Wlad so we know that he doesn't just avoid hard fights. Wlad is a lot easier to sell than Ortiz. Ortiz needs to get some name recognition which he should do with this Wilder fight.

Apparently Stiverne no showed a mandatory drug test. That should throw a wrench in his plans to stop this fight.

Best news I have heard all day.

He, Stiverne, posts videos on IG training. Dude looks slow and unmotivated in everything he posts. No way he does any better vs Wilder, in fact, he would get stopped badly at this point.

Yes because we know that he will fight Ortiz if he beats Wilder because people will know who he is. That's how promotion works. And he just got done fighting a hard fight against Wlad so we know that he doesn't just avoid hard fights. Wlad is a lot easier to sell than Ortiz. Ortiz needs to get some name recognition which he should do with this Wilder fight.
You totally missed the point.

I can think of a lot of other fighters who got shit on for taking the bigger $ opponents. I dont have a problem with it, I believe strongly in athletes maximizing their earning potential. But man, this forum loves to shit on fighters who do this same thing.
I don't crime anyone for taking more money. Unless it's gay for pay I doubt most people turn down earning more cash.

Completely different, Joshua isn't 'avoiding' a guy like Ortiz to go and fight some easy pay check in his hometown, he's fighting better guys, who happen to make more money as well. You're not avoiding anyone in the HW division if you're fighting Wlad after that amount of fights.

I really don't get this idea that Ortiz is a hard style match up for Joshua, he's a stationary target with slow feet, and that pretty much ends it there against Joshua. If you can't get out of the way of his onslaughts, you're not going to get very far. Guys like Wlad and Wilder who move a lot better are much harder fights.

Completely different, Joshua isn't 'avoiding' a guy like Ortiz to go and fight some easy pay check in his hometown, he's fighting better guys, who happen to make more money as well. You're not avoiding anyone in the HW division if you're fighting Wlad after that amount of fights.

I really don't get this idea that Ortiz is a hard style match up for Joshua, he's a stationary target with slow feet, and that pretty much ends it there against Joshua. If you can't get out of the way of his onslaughts, you're not going to get very far. Guys like Wlad and Wilder who move a lot better are much harder fights.
Gotta agree. Ortiz doesn't stay in shape for Joshua and he will get caught. Wlad is an enigma.

Exactly. I could understand the criticism if AJ has just got done beating up another Dillian Whyte level fighter but he just fought Wlad who though getting on in years is a force to be reckoned with. Wlad is a much tougher fight than Ortiz. And oh look rather than fight Ortiz, AJ is giving Wlad his rematch. Hardly ducking in any sense of the word.

Its not completely different whatsoever. Joshua gets a pass for not being interested in Ortiz because "it doesnt sell". Many, many other fighters get shit on for that.

Ortiz is a widely better boxer than AJ. Hes got good hand speed and slick combos, big power in his own right. This whole footwork nonsense has gotten so wildly blown out of proportion lately. Bouncing around on your feet means absolutely zero if youre still getting hit with bombs. Something the "better movers Wilder and Wlad" do regularly. Concrete block feet that avoid punches (Ortiz) is better than hopping around and eating bombs (Wilder).

Would you favor Wlad and Wilder over Ortiz?

How many of you say the boogeyman Ortiz was overrated if/when Wilder beats him?
Lol love this prediction
Apparently Wilder beat a fat AA card carrying old man who was a never was

Wilders hype train is about to get derailed. I like wilder but ortiz is gonna fuck him up
6a00d83451574c69e201b7c8adfb84970b-pi

Back