Will 165lb happen in the next 5 years?

Sounds good to me. Most Light heavyweights are 220-235lbs anyways. There's just not much MMA talent in the 220-260lb weight range, so may as well merge those divisions. Also, most heavyweight champs have been around 240lbs, so it's not like being a 230lb heavyweight is a big disadvantage, and if it is, then eat more.

There's one HW in the top 15 who fought at less than 245 in his last fight. This idea that you can be a 230lb HW (fuelling the "why doesn't Jones move up?!") these days is a myth.

Hard to do when it's 15 lb increments is the point. Someone like Nate Diaz has to either cut a lot to 155 or be outsized by WWs that barely make the cut.

The thing is, with his height and length, he shouldn't be outsized at 170. He's built himself up in recent years, but he's still undersized/understrength in the body, but that's on him.

There's one HW in the top 15 who fought at less than 245 in his last fight. This idea that you can be a 230lb HW (fuelling the "why doesn't Jones move up?!") these days is a myth.

Stipe and cain, both former champs, both lighter Heavyweights. DC, champ at hw, managed to fight at LHW.

Look at that top 15 you just listed. It sucks. If Light heavyweight merged with heavyweight it would be much better and historically lighter heavyweights have had lots of success.

Dana seems so adamant on not making the 165lbs division, it seems like it now became a mission of his to not make it. He viciously turns it down every time a reporter mentions it. I highly doubt this will happen soon.
I’m all for it, but it requires a lot of restructuring. Removing 170lbs for 165lbs and 175lbs would require a lot of work. 165lbs would suck the talent out of LW and WW. 175lbs would be a shallow division. As a fan it seems like a fun idea, but long term, I’m not quite sure it is.

Last edited:
they should - 125, 135, 145, 155, 170 . . that is a big jump.

at 165, bump 170 to 175, keep 185. Anything above is either LHW or HW.

They should add 195 division for super middleweight and 225 division for cruiserweight then heavyweight (unlimited).

We need more big boy divisions because there are already plenty of small men divisions.

I hope so. Watching Edward's fight RDA was like watching a big brother beat up on his little brother

They should add 195 division for super middleweight and 225 division for cruiserweight then heavyweight (unlimited).

We need more big boy divisions because there are already plenty of small men divisions.
No. MW, LHW and HW don't need to be watered down anymore.
They have more divisions in the lower weight classes, because there is more fighters.

Hard to do when it's 15 lb increments is the point. Someone like Nate Diaz has to either cut a lot to 155 or be outsized by WWs that barely make the cut.

Yeah cause we know 5 pounds will make a big difference to a semi retired career gatekeeper...

You really think fighters who dominated Nate at lw n ww won’t be able to do the same at 165?

Path to victory vs Diaz bros is pretty simple

They have good cardio, boxing, chin n bjj

They lack at strength, kickboxing, wrestling n ko power

Anybody who can exploit those weaknesses beats them regardless of weight class

Yeah cause we know 5 pounds will make a big difference to a semi retired career gatekeeper...

You really think fighters who dominated Nate at lw n ww won’t be able to do the same at 165?

Path to victory vs Diaz bros is pretty simple

They have good cardio, boxing, chin n bjj

They lack at strength, kickboxing, wrestling n ko power

Anybody who can exploit those weaknesses beats them regardless of weight class
I used Nate Diaz as an example for weightcutting, he's a "tweener" between LW and WW and makes a very unhealthy cut to LW and looks like death each time he does. The point wasn't how he does as a fighter or what his fight style is, autist.

I used Nate Diaz as an example for weightcutting, he's a "tweener" between LW and WW and makes a very unhealthy cut to LW and looks like death each time he does. The point wasn't how he does as a fighter or what his fight style is, autist.

So you use him as an example, but get mad when it’s pointed out that it’s a bad example?

So again you really think someone like Nate wouldn’t get dominated n his weaknesses exposed at 165 the same way they were exposed at lw n ww?

Again it’s only 5 point difference from a already established weight class.

Most ww will be able to make the move down n some will just cut even more to get there.

So all the same guys will still dominate that weight class as well

Personally I am against it. I like fewer weight classes. We should go back to the days where there were only two weight classes: under 200 and over 200.

I think they need to make female 155, 170, 185, 205, and HW, and probably female atomweight before they split up what are probably the two deepest and most populated divisions in all of MMA.

So you use him as an example, but get mad when it’s pointed out that it’s a bad example?
Yes, because you are talking about his style. Another example is Kevin Lee who is a wrestle boxer and has trouble making it to 155 and advocates for a 165 division.

Yes, because you are talking about his style. Another example is Kevin Lee who is a wrestle boxer and has trouble making it to 155 and advocates for a 165 division.

But his style is the reason he loses...

N of course gatekeepers advocate for new divisions. That’s the only way they’ll get to fight for a title or potentially get $ fight with Conor

Even if tomorrow ufc introduced 165 divisions, not too long after there’s gonna be another gatekeeper asking for 160 division

But his style is the reason he loses...

N of course gatekeepers advocate for new divisions. That’s the only way they’ll get to fight for a title or potentially get $ fight with Conor

Even if tomorrow ufc introduced 165 divisions, not too long after there’s gonna be another gatekeeper asking for 160 division
The point was about his unhealthy weight cut and why he feels the need to go down to LW. The LW champion himself struggles to make 155 and has failed the cut.

The point was about his unhealthy weight cut and why he feels the need to go down to LW. The LW champion himself struggles to make 155 and has failed the cut.

N now thinks 165 instead of 170 gonna make a big difference?

He’s gonna get destroyed at 165 the same way he was at 170

Back