Will Ngannou sell as a champion?

if he wins the belt and then keeps winning decisively he'll sell or whatever

don't know why people are interested in what the ufc makes lol just be interested in the fights. people calling countries or states markets is weird

It's pretty simple actually; more money -> better/more talent -> better fights.

None of this is race bating or anything, it's just a fact at which fighters sell fights.

Yet you left out:
Anderson
Rampage
Rashad
& you added why you 'think' Jones drew (even though he is not white)

Traditionally, the fighters who have sold the best have been white. Lesnar, Rousey, Conor, GSP. Jones sells pretty well, but because he's a polarizing figure. Ngannou will have a tough road because he's a nice guy, he has a strong accent, and he's not white. None of this is race bating or anything, it's just a fact at which fighters sell fights.
What he does have going for him is that "it" factor of looking the part of a monster. The ability to OHKO anyone in the world violently while looking terrifying gives him that Rampage Jackson appeal. He doesn't have the charisma of Rampage, but that could develop over time (as well as his English). If he wins the title and breaks the consecutive title streak, I think he could become the main attraction in the UFC (if they invest the time and resources into pushing him).

The biggest draws as fighters have been, going by the numbers (in no particular order) McGregor, Rousey, Anderson, Jones, GSP, and Lesnar. That's two out of six being black. Statistically, given a tiny sample size (6), that's pretty much even. Moreover, the number of white fighters (and champs) is much larger than the number of black fighters (and champs), so the chances of a black champion being popular is higher than that of a white fighter (ie popular black/total black > popular white/white).

So whether he's a big PPV draw won't have anything to do with his race. Even being foreign might not matter, given that two of the six - GSP and Anderson - aren't American.

And in fact it'll come down to his personality and his ability to stay on top long enough to get name recognition. MMA is a tiny niche sport (even GSP, very popular in MMA terms in Canada, got less than 1% of potential Canadian PPV's - if someone like GSP who was champ for a long time got 1%, think about how little name recognition most MMA fighters get).

The biggest draws as fighters have been, going by the numbers (in no particular order) McGregor, Rousey, Anderson, Jones, GSP, and Lesnar. That's two out of six being black. Statistically, given a tiny sample size (6), that's pretty much even. Moreover, the number of white fighters (and champs) is much larger than the number of black fighters (and champs), so the chances of a black champion being popular is higher than that of a white fighter (ie popular black/total black > popular white/white).

So whether he's a big PPV draw won't have anything to do with his race. Even being foreign might not matter, given that two of the six - GSP and Anderson - aren't American.

And in fact it'll come down to his personality and his ability to stay on top long enough to get name recognition. MMA is a tiny niche sport (even GSP, very popular in MMA terms in Canada, got less than 1% of potential Canadian PPV's - if someone like GSP who was champ for a long time got 1%, think about how little name recognition most MMA fighters get).

Don't forget that those two Aryans (Rampage & Rashad) did over a million buys
That was Evans second million buy PPV

He’s got the Cameroonian market nailed down

He’s also gonna terrify the white American types on here who love to talk about the various perceived differences between “races” and therefore make them even more insecure even though their special races beliefs are all bullshit

Sure. He's giant with a muscular frame and he KO's almost everyone he faces. If he knocks Stipe cold the buzz around him will become a roar.

He has that look he's a huge guy will sell on that alone

Who cares if he sells to some casual dipshits. As long as I get to see him fight it's all good.

Ngannou will have a tough road because he's a nice guy.

ngannou-kos-overeem-ufc-218.jpg

A very nice guy of course!

Look at the crazy hype he has built already after only two relatively highprofile matches against guys with less than notable chins. He could be a huge asset financially to UFC if he beats Stipe. Race doesn't matter nearly as much as some on this forum believe. Nationality is more important and even then it's not a necessity.

I think he could do avg 500k ppv. Wont be a megastar for the sole fact he is a rambler.

Sure he can. Not like Lesnar. But more than Stipe i think. Stipe is dull as fuck, which is not a bad thing for me personally, but its a bit of a fact.

Let’s tread carefully, pretty sure in 2017 it’s illegal to discuss selling and African people in the same sentence

Well he can't be any worse than Cain.

They can actually sell this guy as 'The Baddest Man/HW on the Planet' because he's the one guy who actually looks and fights the part.
Overeem was huge but couldn't stay there. Lesnar was huge and popular and couldn't stay there.

Anderson didn't really sell all that well other than the Chael fights and Weidman 2 (which would have been more because of Weidman than Anderson)

I think it was more that Weidman beat him and people were eager to see the rematch and if it was a fluke. Weidman's never really big a big pull by himself.

Sure he can. Not like Lesnar. But more than Stipe i think. Stipe is dull as fuck, which is not a bad thing for me personally, but its a bit of a fact.

Stipe's hilarious and more entertaining than anyone other than The Black Beast at HW, IMO. He just doesn't do much press other than on the month of the fight.

Time stamped:

Last edited:
Yes. If this dude, who is hard to understand at the best of times, can make over 500 million dollars...

1319215840_mike_tyson_uppercut.gif

...I think Francis has a shot.

giphy.gif

HW's that knock people out will always sell.

My god dude you'e comparing this random French flash in the pan to Tyson?

Stipe's gonna whoop his ass, so no.

Back