Will we ever see the return of Marcelo?

Technique matters a lot more in BJJ then being at your absolute physical peak.

So?
Technique matters a lot more in BJJ then being at your absolute physical peak.

And Kron at 22 wasn’t in his technical prime? Dude had been training for what, 15 years? So your argument is that kron got exponentially better at 27 cause he had 4 more years of training?

Yea but the problem is if everyone has world champ - level technique, then stuff like physical peak matters. Or can make up for some gaps in technique.

World champions aren't equal in technique. Far from it. Even if you look at a lot of the all time greats like Rafa they have bad serious technical improvements even since the days where they started to dominate. When Roger is showing stuff he often show new variation of his main weapons (like he has discovered a much better closed guard armlock in the last few years).
I wouldn't be surprised if people hit the physical peak at a different time. Like Lovato got a lot more jacked after hitting 30.

World champions aren't equal in technique. Far from it. Even if you look at a lot of the all time greats like Rafa they have bad serious technical improvements even since the days where they started to dominate. When Roger is showing stuff he often show new variation of his main weapons (like he has discovered a much better closed guard armlock in the last few years).
I wouldn't be surprised if people hit the physical peak at a different time. Like Lovato got a lot more jacked after hitting 30.

Yeah lovato got more jacked after hitting 30s because the chicken diet started to kicked in right...

I think Marcelo's actually 36 years old. He still trains regularly with all of his top guys, as well as the top grapplers that visit him.

Even while retired, he has helped train some of the top ADCC guys for their matches- and more than holds his own against them during these hard training sessions.

I don't think he stands to gain anything from competing again, but I know a lot of people would love to see it.

(I'm super fortunate to be close to him...and during all this time together, I don't think I've ever asked if he was coming back to compete again)
Yeah in fact I've seen him do better in the training room against guys he lost to at adcc before.

I think he only stands to lose from competing again. Unless he develops a burning desire to get back out there for a superfight or something I just don't see why he'd want to do it. He's accomplished about as much as one can do and is one of the GOATs.

Yeah in fact I've seen him do better in the training room against guys he lost to at adcc before.

I think he only stands to lose from competing again. Unless he develops a burning desire to get back out there for a superfight or something I just don't see why he'd want to do it. He's accomplished about as much as one can do and is one of the GOATs.

I think he still has a lot of fans that would love to see him compete again, and it would be good promotion for his school and website. Competing in an event like Quintet with his students would be really cool.

I’d also love to see a no gi rematch against Renzo. Both are legends with gyms in New York, and their match at ADCC was epic. Marcelo took it right to him, but Renzo hung tough and then started to come on near the end.

Maecelo: I'm coming out if retirement!

Terere: #metoo! I've stopped drugs, been hitting P90X, doing yoga, on a juice cleanse, and ready to go!

Marcelo: I've decided to focus more on coaching, growing my academy and website, and my family.
<Dany07>

I think he still has a lot of fans that would love to see him compete again, and it would be good promotion for his school and website. Competing in an event like Quintet with his students would be really cool.

I’d also love to see a no gi rematch against Renzo. Both are legends with gyms in New York, and their match at ADCC was epic. Marcelo took it right to him, but Renzo hung tough and then started to come on near the end.

Renzo is in his fifties and Marcelo is in his mid-thirties....

Back