With all due respect to Herb Dean

MMA fans dont care about winning records, or at least thats what the draws of the sport have shown to us...he will fight another day and got to keep his teeth and brain cells (most of them) intact.

The Volkov/Rozenstruik stoppage was ultimately a good one (even though Rozenstruik was only stunned he was on a knee not fighting back eating a 10-piece combo from a fresh heavyweight), but just a few fights earlier he let Menifield elbow Mozharov's head off the canvas like a basketball a half-dozen times before stopping it when the dude was likely done after the second or third elbow.

What's weird is when a guy is stunned by a punch he'll kind of panic-rush in to almost stop it, but when someone is eating hellacious GnP with no chance of escape he's content to let that person get pounded into oblivion without seeming like he's going to leap in and save them from extra punishment.

Just wildly inconsistent depending on the fighter or the situation, you really never know what Herb Dean is going to show up.

I didn't mind last nights stoppage.
It wasn't as bad as people make it out to be. It was a tad awkward looking. But Rozenstruik was hurt bad, ate multiple shots, and was turtling like a kid on the playground. You tie the refs hands when you do that as the recipient. The only thing that made him look ok standing up at the end was Dean stopped Volkov's advance long enough to let rozenstruik stand up. And even when he did he still didn't even look like he was there mentally. The stoppage was fine.

I like how you stopped talking directly to him in your last sentence to speak to your humble audience. I was definitely hooked.

Herb should've been given his walking papers over a decade ago. He's constantly stumbling and fumbling main events. Seriously Steve Mazzagatti was sent packing by Dana White and he was 1000 times a better ref than Herb will ever be. You have to ask yourself what underhanded shit has Herb Dean done for Dana White in the past that allows him to keep being employed doing main event shows for the UFC when he just constantly fucks up?

Now I know some of the shills on here will say the UFC doesn't pay refs and thats partially true. You see the UFC submits the refs they want to work the show they will be promoting. They always put Herb Dean on that list so yes Herb Dean gets paid because the UFC wants him to work their shows. If they exclude his name he would be in the same situation as Steve Mazzagatti working circuit shows which are far less than that of doing UFC shows.

It wasn't as bad as people make it out to be. It was a tad awkward looking. But Rozenstruik was hurt bad, ate multiple shots, and was turtling like a kid on the playground. You tie the refs hands when you do that as the recipient. The only thing that made him look ok standing up at the end was Dean stopped Volkov's advance long enough to let rozenstruik stand up. And even when he did he still didn't even look like he was there mentally. The stoppage was fine.

Yah, he basically managed to stay upright but he was pretty out of it. That was only gonna get worse.

The Volkov/Rozenstruik stoppage was ultimately a good one (even though Rozenstruik was only stunned he was on a knee not fighting back eating a 10-piece combo from a fresh heavyweight), but just a few fights earlier he let Menifield elbow Mozharov's head off the canvas like a basketball a half-dozen times before stopping it when the dude was likely done after the second or third elbow.

What's weird is when a guy is stunned by a punch he'll kind of panic-rush in to almost stop it, but when someone is eating hellacious GnP with no chance of escape he's content to let that person get pounded into oblivion without seeming like he's going to leap in and save them from extra punishment.

Just wildly inconsistent depending on the fighter or the situation, you really never know what Herb Dean is going to show up.

Yea that’s what I’m saying. He’s incredibly inconsistent and when one guy is beating the shit out of another with gnp, he lets it go and that does way more damage then when there standing and he jumps in after one fighter gets wobbled

You can't think of every stoppage as "what if that was Edgar Maynard"

I agree Herb is a bad ref, but that wasn't a bad call. A lot of MMA fans get mad at a fight being stopped just because there's a 1/1000 chance there's some crazy comeback... I'd much rather let these guys live to fight another day. Roz was done, he crouched down and covered up, all the body language of someone who wanted out.
He didnt want out, he wanted his mouthpiece back.

You can't think of every stoppage as "what if that was Edgar Maynard"

I agree Herb is a bad ref, but that wasn't a bad call. A lot of MMA fans get mad at a fight being stopped just because there's a 1/1000 chance there's some crazy comeback... I'd much rather let these guys live to fight another day. Roz was done, he crouched down and covered up, all the body language of someone who wanted out.
Roz said himself after the fight he wasn't done. He was trying to block those shots and then get away to reset. Losing the mouthpiece made it look worse than it was. You could tell the second Herb stopped it that Roz wanted to keep going.

It's a bit of a stretch for an analogy, but I'm reminded of replays in the NFL where people say, "Well why didn't the QB just throw to that receiver? He was wide open!" But he was wide open because the second the pass was thrown to another receiver, the defender of the "wide open" one went there instead of staying, making it look like worse coverage than it actually was.

Rosie looked like he was fine because Volkov had stopped hitting him (due to the stoppage). But prior to that point, he was turtling up, sagging and falling to his knees, and in general looking out of the fight. Herb didn't actually step in until Rosie collapsed, and it was only after Volkov had been pulled away that Rosie could get back to his feet. My gut calls it a slightly early stoppage, but my brain is pretty sure it wasn't.

Roz said himself after the fight he wasn't done. He was trying to block those shots and then get away to reset. Losing the mouthpiece made it look worse than it was. You could tell the second Herb stopped it that Roz wanted to keep going.
Lol yeah, he said that after the fact to give himself an excuse for the loss.

Mouthpiece out or not, you don't kneel down with your guard up like that. He wanted out in that moment regardless of what he says now.

Stoppage was 100% fine, Dean is a great ref, most complainers are retards who just complain regardless of outcome.
Its not like they have 'insight' into anything, they just say "ZOMG THE OPPOSITE SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED!" because they're retards.

Back