With Poatan's waves of success, do you think Semmy Schilt or even Badr Hari would thrive in mma today?

filthybliss

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Its no surprise that Poatan is a beast, he climbed to the top of two divisions full of killers with virtually zero ground game. The same happened with Izzy just in MW. Gane is another example of a HW that did but he has some modicum of wrasslin but he seems to lack the success that those other two garnered. Likewise, with Semmy Schilt, who is the GOAT kickboxer, much better than Izzy or Alex was in kickboxing, seemed to struggle in mma against the greats with a ground game like Fedor and Big Nog. But, considering those legends are gone and that Poatan seems to be virtued as the one that can unify having 3 belts, is it crazy to think that he would of been more a killer today than in the past.

Hari is another one, him and Alex seem to be friends but even Hari seems to be way more bountiful in talent in terms of striking. Its still hard for me to see Hari thriving like Alex because he lacks the patience and discipline that Alex has.

Its no surprise that Poatan is a beast, he climbed to the top of two divisions full of killers with virtually zero ground game. The same happened with Izzy just in MW. Gane is another example of a HW that did but he has some modicum of wrasslin but he seems to lack the success that those other two garnered. Likewise, with Semmy Schilt, who is the GOAT kickboxer, much better than Izzy or Alex was in kickboxing, seemed to struggle in mma against the greats with a ground game like Fedor and Big Nog. But, considering those legends are gone and that Poatan seems to be virtued as the one that can unify having 3 belts, is it crazy to think that he would of been more a killer today than in the past.

Hari is another one, him and Alex seem to be friends but even Hari seems to be way more bountiful in talent in terms of striking. Its still hard for me to see Hari thriving like Alex because he lacks the patience and discipline that Alex has.
This actually also shows how MMA hasn't really evolved. Like you said, better kickboxers like Semmy got dominated by Fedor and Nog, yet Poatan is a 2 dividion UFC champ

not sure about guys mentioned
but Rico Verhoeven could try himself at HW and have success. If Gane could Rico definitely would

The reason Alex is popular is precisely because it's very seldom that people can do what he's done. So probably not

Semmy tried and it didn't go well.

What exactly has changed today that would help Semmy succeed?

Absolutely not with Badr. He was far too reckless and off balance with a lot of his shots. I think he fought once in MMA and got taken down and submitted rather easily.

Not sure why you'd bring up Schilt as he was originally an MMA fighter who had way more success in kickboxing because of his height.

It's not black and white. Even in the specialized sports there are different styles. It's just how well to your style translate and how do you modify you style you adapt.

Semmy tried and it didn't go well.

What exactly has changed today that would help Semmy succeed?
no fedor or big nog. i doubt he could cut weight to lhw but at hw, there's still a tonuva tank abbotts scrapping. few top guys like aspinall and pav are there but I think he'd wreck the rest if Gane could.

The reason Alex is popular is precisely because it's very seldom that people can do what he's done. So probably not
can't that go for most champions? my point was i am curious if elite kickboxers some even greater than alex would find success today

no fedor or big nog. i doubt he could cut weight to lhw but at hw, there's still a tonuva tank abbotts scrapping. few top guys like aspinall and pav are there but I think he'd wreck the rest if Gane could.

Don't forget Josh Barnett. What era would he have thrived in?

Don't forget Josh Barnett. What era would he have thrived in?
uh, i am genuinely confused what point you are trying to make here?
he took DC to a decision and he submitted arlovski before retiring. i'd reckon he'd be fine today too. hw talent is abymsally shallow even lhw. even during tito's reign, there were more killers.

It's not black and white. Even in the specialized sports there are different styles. It's just how well to your style translate and how do you modify you style you adapt.

This is the correct answer.

Success in one combat sport does not always translate to success in MMA. Oliveira for example has the most effective BJJ style for MMA despite never having won ADCC, Mundials, or other BJJ championships.

They would if they were fed nothing but stand up fighters and not have to fight wrestlers

uh, i am genuinely confused what point you are trying to make here?
he took DC to a decision and he submitted arlovski before retiring. i'd reckon he'd be fine today too. hw talent is abymsally shallow even lhw. even during tito's reign, there were more killers.

Well you were comparing him to Pereira who is a 2 division champion so I'm assuming you believe he would have won the belt. What era are you saying he would have thrived in? Let's examine who the champion and top contenders were at the time.

Well you were comparing him to Pereira who is a 2 division champion so I'm assuming you believe he would have won the belt. What era are you saying he would have thrived in? Let's examine who the champion and top contenders were at the time.
barnett is a hw and not even a striker. I was comparing alex to semmy and hari moreso. i don't think alex is a champ in the dc and jones era, personally. too riddled with killers like rampage, rashad, machida, gustaffson, rumble johnson, prime glover, etc.

The best version of Schilt, when he was strictly doing kickboxing, weighed closer to 300 than 265 and did not look like the skinny guy that was pounded out by Kharitonov…

Maybe I’m biased because I’ve always been a fan, but if that version of Schilt would have been able to make 265, he would be a champion in any promotion he chose to fight in…

People say Schilt is a 1 dimensional fighter, but he was doing MMA when the sport wasn’t even called MMA and did have experience dealing with grapplers…

barnett is a hw and not even a striker. I was comparing alex to semmy and hari moreso. i don't think alex is a champ in the dc and jones era, personally. too riddled with killers like rampage, rashad, machida, gustaffson, rumble johnson, prime glover, etc.

So what era do you think Semmy would have been a champ in?

Back