WMMA Discussion #29

Aldana only shines when she brawls in the pocket, she doesn't have the talent to be an elite technical striker.

Durability and strength are her best weapons.

UFC

Lipski wins by submission armbar in round two. She opened with crisper striking and continued looking more confident on the ground. O'Neil was forced to tap 'cause her arm was getting hyperextended.

Aldana gets the UD 29-28 victory over Rosa in a bloody exciting battle. What a scrap. Great way to close out the year in ufc wmma.

UFC 296 Bonuses: Aldana vs. Rosa Takes Home Fight of the Night Honors​

FacebookTwitterReddit0Email

TYLER TREESE DEC 17, 2023
The Ultimate Fighting Championship awarded four fighters performance bonuses following the UFC 296 card.

Fight of the Night went to Irene Aldana and Karol Rosa. The duo's prelim scrap was a back-and-forth war that lasted 15 minutes. Both women kept coming forward despite the damage taken, and fans were appreciative of their efforts. Aldana would take a unanimous decision win with three 29-28 cards given in her favor.

The three other Performance of the Night bonuses were well-earned. Josh Emmettearned an extra $50,000 for his shocking knockout of Bryce Mitchell, which left the featherweight convulsing on the floor afterward. The "Queen of Violence," Ariane Lipski, also received a bonus for her impressive armbar submission win over Casey O'Neill. Finally, Shamil Gaziev picked up a bonus for his TKO win over Martin Buday.

UFC 296 Bonuses:​

Irene Aldana - $50,000
Karol Rosa - $50,000
Josh Emmett - $50,000
Ariane Lipski - $50,000
Shamil Gaziev - $50,000

Good fights in the UFC prelims - Lipski has been steadily improving and has climnbed out of the "damn attractive, BUT" hole she was in to the rare "damn attractive, AND" category :D Glad she "decided" to pick up the bonus too, Lipski means business when you give her a limb to crank on. The angle of the elbow did not look fun. (also, I wonder how much Onlyfans is paying her to just post regular MMA content on a free page still and promote the site by wearing Onlyfans gear on other social media - doesn't seem like there are any revenue strreams for anyone in that, but maybe they are (again) trying to buy legitness)

Well deserved FOTN for Aldana & Rosa too. The Just Bleeds were delivered, and great stuff that Aldana not only dragged herself out of the embarrasing Nunes fight, but also here turned the tables after losing the 1st. That leg must hurt now, tho...

I think that was the 8th women's fight to win the FOTN bonus on a numbered card, Aldana's 2nd after Pudilova on 227.

Anyone going to mention the Lipski eyepoke that set up the big right? She looked good though.

Anyone going to mention the Lipski eyepoke that set up the big right?

Screenshot 2023-12-17 at 13.58.27.png
Did not go in. Three fingers missed eye completely and the pinky is around the eyebrow only. I'm no KazDibiase so no gif-wizardry but that's the closest of an "eyepoke" there was before she punched her. So no, probably nobody but you is gonna mention "the Lipski eyepoke"

It was obvious even live that there was no eyepoke.

View attachment 1017902
Did not go in. Three fingers missed eye completely and the pinky is around the eyebrow only. I'm no KazDibiase so no gif-wizardry but that's the closest of an "eyepoke" there was before she punched her. So no, probably nobody but you is gonna mention "the Lipski eyepoke"

It was obvious even live that there was no eyepoke.

Yes I know it didn't go in but Casey reacted to it, which left her open for the follow up right.

My theme of the card: Low kicks - no can defend. It was pretty funny watching half the fighters on yesterday's event get gimped by low kicks.

Lipski finally became what we hoped she'd be when she came over from KSW. She finally found a good balance of being aggressive without getting overly reckless, she's trusting her TDD & ground game while doing good work in the standup. What I really liked was the clinch work, she went hard to the body with knees and always tried to get free hits in when breaking the clinch, far too many fighters simply reset instead of getting in the free hits. Always get the free hits in, this was a Joanna trademark during her run. Also liked the left kick to end her combos, none of them landed clean until she had Casey hurt, but once again, it doesn't hurt to get free hits in if the opponent is still in range. Overall, I'm liking how she's finally developing as a fighter, whoever's training her is doing a good job.

As for Aldana, why couldn't she fight like this against Nunes? There's a decent chance she could've melted Amanda, of course, also a decent chance she gets flattened but it beats trying to have an outside striking match with the 2nd best striker in the division. Really nice to see her back and go "fuck it, Just Bleed!!", lots of women have looked broken after losing to Amanda so it's nice to see Aldana isn't one of them. Low kick defence needs work though, she would've been in deep trouble if Rosa had stepped in a bit more to connect with the shin more often instead of her foot. Also, body work. Left hook to the body bailed out Aldana in this fight, it slowed Rosa down, had her hurt, and opened up gaps for the rest of Irene's punches. She needs to keep fighting like this if she wants another title shot.

Finally, Rosa. I don't really remember any of her past fights which is unfortunate because she looked pretty darn good here. She had the right idea of low kicking the shit out of a boxer and it almost worked too until Aldana cranked up the pace & pressure. I think her key mistake was ending her combos with a low kick then resetting for the next sequence instead of immediately following up the kick with more strikes while Aldana was off-balance and out of stance. It'll be interesting to see how she does in her next fight, definitely keeping an eye on her.

Last edited:
Aldana only shines when she brawls in the pocket, she doesn't have the talent to be an elite technical striker.

Durability and strength are her best weapons.
I dunno about that, she has really good precision and placement. If she could just make some adjustments she could basically become the female Alex Pereira. She fought like that because she was incensed by her last, unimpressive performance and had something to prove.

My theme of the card: Low kicks - no can defend. It was pretty funny watching half the fighters on yesterday's event get gimped by low kicks.

Lipski finally became what we hoped she'd be when she came over from KSW. She finally found a good balance of being aggressive without getting overly reckless, she's trusting her TDD & ground game while doing good work in the standup. What I really liked was the clinch work, she went hard to the body with knees and always tried to get free hits in when breaking the clinch, far too many fighters simply reset instead of getting in the free hits. Always get the free hits in, this was a Joanna trademark during her run. Also liked the left kick to end her combos, none of them landed clean until she had Casey hurt, but once again, it doesn't hurt to get free hits in if the opponent is still in range. Overall, I'm liking how she's finally developing as a fighter, whoever's training her is doing a good job.

As for Aldana, why couldn't she fight like this against Nunes? There's a decent chance she could've melted Amanda, of course, also a decent chance she gets flattened but it beats trying to have an outside striking match with the 2nd best striker in the division. Really nice to see her back and go "fuck it, Just Bleed!!", lots of women have looked broken after losing to Amanda so it's nice to see Aldana isn't one of them. Low kick defence needs work though, she would've been in deep trouble if Rosa had stepped in a bit more to connect with the shin more often instead of her foot. Also, body work. Left hook to the body bailed out Aldana in this fight, it slowed Rosa down, had her hurt, and opened up gaps for the rest of Irene's punches. She needs to keep fighting like this if she wants another title shot.

Finally, Rosa. I don't really remember any of her past fights which is unfortunate because she looked pretty darn good here. She had the right idea of low kicking the shit out of a boxer and it almost worked too until Aldana cranked up the pace & pressure. I think her key mistake was ending her combos with a low kick then resetting for the next sequence instead of immediately following up the kick with more strikes while Aldana was off-balance and out of stance. It'll be interesting to see how she does in her next fight, definitely keeping an eye on her.
She was clearly intimidated against Nunes. She fought like this because she wanted to wash her hands of that pathetic performance. She had something to prove.

Honestly, after seeing Aldana not too slowed down by those calf kicks, I'm starting to wonder something. Women in general have much less upper body mass then men, but their lower half tends to be of a more comparable size. The differential between leg strength and arm strength is more pronounced in women then in men. Valentina can't knock out shit out her arms, but her head kicks can put someone out as bad as anyone we've seen been knocked out.

My point is that because women have to carry less weight around on top then men, maybe calf kicks just aren't as effective on women?

Honestly, after seeing Aldana not too slowed down by those calf kicks, I'm starting to wonder something. Women in general have much less upper body mass then men, but their lower half tends to be of a more comparable size. The differential between leg strength and arm strength is more pronounced in women then in men. Valentina can't knock out shit out her arms, but her head kicks can put someone out as bad as anyone we've seen been knocked out.

My point is that because women have to carry less weight around on top then men, maybe calf kicks just aren't as effective on women?

Shevchenko has little power in her hands because of how she throws. Never uses her legs or sits down on any of her shots. Differences in upper/lower body power between genders become less pronounced through training. References available upon request/when I get home from work.

Back