WMMA Discussion #29

Do we know if this is a showcase fight, or if there's a women's tournament this year?

Trying to think of Asians other than that ropey Chinese girl that just took out Miki Motono... So Yul Kim would have been cool in the UFC...

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to LUCIA SZABOVÁ's comeback in Oktagon, she seemed like the best Euro prospect a few years ago before being derailed by the same STD that ended Agnieszka Niedźwiedź's career. Hopefully she makes a strong return and a direct UFC contract isn't too far away (no Cantender's BS - if you try that Dana I'm catching a flight out to Las Vegas to make you pay for your crimes once and for all #nocap #4real).

She hasn't fought MMA for 3 years, but was on an impressive 6-0 streak with the last three being:
- a win over Cornelia 'not Holly' Holm!!
- an Armbar win over Olympic Judoka @Larisa. ... I mean, Rizlen Zouak!
- and a Brutal Knockout win by Brutal Headkick Knockout (she's dead, Jim).

The only thing I don't really like is her nickname 'Silent Killer', which is cheesy and lame. But even that could be made awesome if she fully leans into the gimmick and refuses to speak during interviews, instead relying on an interpreter like when The Artist Formally Known As Prince was going through that particularly weird phase.

Not a bad matchup.

There’s a lot to be excited for this weekend, and honestly, Rose vs Ribas isn’t even on the list (should be a fairly easy Rose win, due to her accuracy and Ribas leaving her chin in the air. Emphasis on should )
-a bantamweight bout between two up and comers in UFC
-Deep Jewels has its first card of the year, with a good mix of matchups from microweight all the way up to bantamweight
-Si Yoon Park vs Seika Izawa for the DJ strap is the best Atomweight matchup that could be made right now. The pick is Izawa to win, but anyone with sense is charring for Park, as it’d be better for the division overall.
-Lucia Szabova returns, plus one more bantamweight bout on the Oktagon card, shows the division is getting new life breathed into it on the regional scene.
-RENA vs YuRi Shim on RIZIN Landmark 9. Excited for Shim’s return, and interested to see how Tiger MT has helped RENA.

Also, if you have Netflix, you all have to watch the first four episodes of Physical 100, where Yu Ri Shim is featured, and she has made some waves on social media for it.

Not a bad matchup.

There’s a lot to be excited for this weekend, and honestly, Rose vs Ribas isn’t even on the list (should be a fairly easy Rose win, due to her accuracy and Ribas leaving her chin in the air. Emphasis on should )
-a bantamweight bout between two up and comers in UFC
-Deep Jewels has its first card of the year, with a good mix of matchups from microweight all the way up to bantamweight
-Si Yoon Park vs Seika Izawa for the DJ strap is the best Atomweight matchup that could be made right now. The pick is Izawa to win, but anyone with sense is charring for Park, as it’d be better for the division overall.
-Lucia Szabova returns, plus one more bantamweight bout on the Oktagon card, shows the division is getting new life breathed into it on the regional scene.
-RENA vs YuRi Shim on RIZIN Landmark 9. Excited for Shim’s return, and interested to see how Tiger MT has helped RENA.

Also, if you have Netflix, you all have to watch the first four episodes of Physical 100, where Yu Ri Shim is featured, and she has made some waves on social media for it.

Awesome. I went back and highlighted some of the fights you mentioned. Thanks.

Surprised to see Hong back. She had some family difficulties that forced her into retirement last year. While it’s good to see KAREN building herself up for another title run, beating yet another Korean atomweight at strawweight isn’t gonna help her prepare for another fight against the champ SALT down the line.

Weekend picks.

Amanda Ribas vs. Rose Namajunas. Rose by KO.

Montserrat Rendon vs. Darya Zheleznyakova. Rendon by decision.

RENA

Rendon/Zheleznyakova
I like Rendon because she's pretty and has nice fake boobs (what can I say, I'm a simple guy and Baywatch was the number one show in the world when I was at a formative age). But as a fighter she's pretty horrible. She mostly seems to like to brawl with slow, looping punches (at low output) and clinch a lot and try to get a takedown with a bodylock (with a 99% fail rate). She's billed as a 'Jiu Jitsu' fighter (even though there's very little mat time in her fights, and she doesn't look great when there is) which to me says 'started training BJJ as an adult and somehow ended up a pro MMA fighter with no special skills' (only at WBW...). Zheleznyakova on the other hand is a pretty good, smart, fast, hard striker. On the feet she should massacre Rendon. There is a possible window for Rendon in that Zhelez has a woeful ground game - she reminds me of her compatriot 'Slava Claus' in that she's a good & schooled striker but if you take her down she's completely hopeless. In her 1 loss vs Melissa Dixon, she beat the everloving shite out of Dixon for 3/4 of a round, then got taken down and was finished instantly (with a rather quick stoppage from the ref admittedly). On the other hand she beat the everloving shite out of Liana Jojua ( 😢 ) for 3 whole rounds and was 'smart' in baiting Liana to shoot then wailing on her slow and sloppy shots (Liana looked extra bad in that fight though and hasn't fought since ( 😢 ) ). Anyway I have to pick Darya to win easily here vs a slower, clumsier, old, just plain worse fighter.

Rose/Ribas
When it was booked I thought 'easy win for Rose', now it's TIME I'm a little more hesitant, maybe because there's the ever-present 'what are we gonna get from headcase Rose' vibe but also because I'm suspicious of her grappling and what happens if she gets taken down...? Ribas is so hittable though (hur, hur) it's hard to not picture her getting chinned hard at some point and finished. Poor Amanda. At least one time she gets KO'd she might wake up thinking she's my waifu and that'll be good for both of us happily ever after... right...?

Last edited:
I think I would choose Ribas anyway, but even though I kinda like Rose for what she used to be she seems pretty close to being out of the game already which might actially cause the rose variant of Sausage Carius to bugger off the forums (like SC did when Joanna retired) so for just that I hope Ribas wins by finish. Yes, I am petty.

Rendon due to geopolitics.

Amanda Ribas vs. Rose Namajunas. Rose secured the decision by playing it safe. As the fight went on I was rooting for Ribas as she's laying it all out there trying to perform to the best of her abilities. Rose relied mainly on experience, footwork and top control to get her first win at featherweight.

Montserrat Rendon vs. Darya Zheleznyakova. Darya got the unanimous decision win in her UFC debut, earning rounds 1 & 3 and handing Rendon her first loss. As in her previous fights Darya tends to rely on boxing technique. She can improve on distance management and putting together more combinations.

At Rizin, Rena Kubota got a UD win over Yu Ri Shrim. I haven't yet seen it. Look forward to watching in full.

If Ribas had a better game plan she could've easily beaten Rose. She was doing well in the 1st half of some rounds by kicking the crap out of Rose's legs & body, Rose still has poor low kick defence and it turns out her body kick defence is also pretty bad. Ribas chopped the legs early and slowed Rose down just enough that the fight was still reasonably competitive, but she spent way too much time head hunting and you're just not gonna get her that way until she's been slowed down more. The low kicks also took enough speed & power off of Rose's punches for Ribas to survive them later on in the fight. And then Ribas stopped kicking the legs & body and it was all downhill from there, Rose was allowed to have an outside boxing match and use her top control on the ground to seal the match.

Main takeaway is do your freakin' homework, and game plans are important. Rose has known weaknesses which don't require a top level fighter to exploit, she's weak in the body and has poor low kick defence so it's not too hard to slow her down, her speed is her greatest advantage so you want to take that away ASAP, especially in a 5 round fight. Chop legs, bang body, and use just enough head strikes to keep her honest, that's how you beat Rose.

Back