WMMA Discussion #29

Mann needs a new camp/coach/corner. A lot of fairly basic things do not occur with respect to controlling distance and timing and her cornering advice last night was shit.

I feel bad for Liang but she needs the same things. As well as a decent S&C coach.
Yeah I feel many in the sport don't have high quality coaching or training teams. I was surprised by Mann's lack of basic distance control. Also after two rounds Liang's coaches basically told her to relax. They should have been substantive. Like you had success striking in round one. You must avoid takedowns at all costs and aggressively get the striking going again. Along with a specific way that would help her in that moment.

Yeah I feel many in the sport don't have high quality coaching or training teams. I was surprised by Mann's lack of basic distance control. Also after two rounds Liang's coaches basically told her to relax. They should have been substantive. Like you had success striking in round one. You must avoid takedowns at all costs and aggressively get the striking going again. Along with a specific way that would help her in that moment.

The are also a few issues specific to women. In striking arts the talent pool is often little more than a puddle, particularly boxing where the talent in each division can barely fill an over-turned contact lens. This is why the few good strikers among the women dominate the stand up.

In certain areas, particularly Japan, S&C training for women was heavily discouraged. Lifting is still not as emphasized as it should be and S&C training for MMA still often lags behind established sports and not just for women. That being said, for women it is even worse in MMA with respect to strength training.

Also, a woman coached by her significant other is generally not a good combination for either fighting or relationships and this is far more common among female fighters.

Anyone following the women selected for Oktagon project Y

It looks like they’re having their ring girls train for matches against each other
Nope, its reality show with amateurs without mma/combat experience. Like every girl from Germany could have signup and they selected few of them and they will be provided with training and etc...

Only whats interesting about this is that first fights will be in Frankfurt - Deutsche Bank Park stadium (50.000 attendance) - could be biggest event outside of Pride/UFC ever...

Last edited:
Thursday May 2, 2024

[MMA] ARES FC 21 Aubervilliers, France
Main Card – UFC Fight Pass – 2:00pm ET / 11:00am PT
Alexandra Tekenah vs. Alice Pisciotta
Stephanie Evans vs. Lynne Kàrmàn

Friday May 3

[MMA] ONE Friday Fights 61 Bangkok, Thailand
Main Card – YouTube – 8:30am ET / 5:30am PT
Chloe Cooke vs. Hanna Palmquist – MMA

[MMA] LFA 183 Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Main Card – UFC Fight Pass – 8:00pm ET / 5:00pm PT
Naizi Cantanhede vs. Yasmin Guimarães
Preliminary Card – YouTube – 6:30pm ET / 3:30pm PT
Adriele Castro vs. Natalia Alves
Preliminary Card – YouTube – 4:00pm ET / 1:00pm PT
Kauã Fernandes vs. João Lucas da Costa
Gabriela Fujimoto vs. Claudia Alves
Beatriz Consuli vs. Patrícia Batista
Leidiane Fernandes vs. Djulia Ariana

[VARIOUS] ONE Fight Night 22: Sundell vs. Diachkova Bangkok, Thailand
Main Card – Prime Video – 8:00pm ET / 5:00pm PT
Smilla Sundell vs. Natalya Dyachkova – Muay Thai
Chihiro Sawada vs. Noelle Grandjean – MMA
Nanami Ichikawa vs. Bianca Basilio – Grappling

Saturday May 4

[MMA] OKTAGON 57 Frankfurt, Germany
Main Card – DAZN / iPPV (OKTAGON.TV) – 12:00pm ET / 9:00am PT
Mallory Martin vs. Anita Bekus
Sandra Peterhoff vs. Laura Kirtzel
Haifa Reso vs. Erika Tomm – Free on YouTube

[MMA] UFC 301: Pantoja vs. Erceg Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Main Card – iPPV (ESPN+) – 10:00pm ET / 7:00pm PT
Preliminary Card – ESPN2 / ESPN+ – 8:00pm ET / 5:00pm PT
Karolina Kowalkiewicz vs. Iasmin Lucindo
Preliminary Card – ESPN+ – 6:00pm ET / 3:00pm PT
Dione Barbosa vs. Ernesta Kareckaite

more: https://grabakahitman.com/

Mel Zeman (1-3-1) vs Brittany Bickhart (1-0)

Keeping an eye on Bickhart, as she’s from my area

I can’t even remember who the regular Strawweight champion is, that Kuziutina is defending the interim title at this point.

Last edited:
Mel Zeman (1-3-1) vs Brittany Bickhart (1-0)

Keeping an eye on Bickhart, as she’s from my area

I can’t even remember who the regular Strawweight champion is, that Kuziutina is defending the interim title at this point.

Kinda surprised PFLator let Bruna Ellen go off of a win. I guess it's good for her though since she can drop to 115 now. She always looked so small at 125.

Anyone remember what happened between her and the UFC?

Good question. According to Fight Finder she lost her last fight in the UFC and won her previous two.

RESULTFIGHTEREVENTMETHOD/REFEREERTIME
LOSSViviane AraujoUFC Fight Night 230 - Yusuff vs. Barboza
Oct / 14 / 2023
Decision (Unanimous)
Mark Smith
VIEW PLAY-BY-PLAY
35:00
WINCasey O'NeillUFC 286 - Edwards vs. Usman 3
Mar / 18 / 2023
Decision (Unanimous)
Herb Dean
VIEW PLAY-BY-PLAY
WINMaryna MorozUFC Fight Night 215 - Nzechukwu vs. Cutelaba
Nov / 19 / 2022
Decision (Unanimous)
Jacob Montalvo
VIEW PLAY-BY-PLAY

Jennifer Maia re-signing with Invicta is a head scratcher... maybe they offered the best money outside of PFL, whose schedule sounds grueling.

this week I'm going a Brazil two-fer, Barbosa and Lucindo (while secretly hoping that KK 2.0 scores the upset)

Back