WMMA Discussion #29

I don’t think someone with Kayla’s background does anything half ass. Also worth noting she’s only been allowed to throw elbows in 1 pro fight & that was a bloody massacre. I am sure she has some serious GnP elbows in her arsenal that are just waiting to be used.
You make a good point about the elbows. I forgot about that. You are getting me excited to see if she can make things interesting again for 135.

Doubt it. Holly did not have much success grappling with the much smaller Shevchenko so I suspect Kayla will do even better, given both skill as well as being jacked AF.
I know that's the prevailing notion. Holly has more experience against quality fighters. Not saying Holly will win, just that I don't feel it's a foregone conclusion. Pacheco pieced Harrison up the last time they met. Holly should still have her boxing skills and strength. We will see.

No. They’ll probably drag it out like they have the last two events
I'd love to support this type of live event but the tickets seemed more than that should be for an event without anyone i recognize. I was all set to go when they had Sarah headlining and then it fell threw and she just retired.

I know that's the prevailing notion. Holly has more experience against quality fighters. Not saying Holly will win, just that I don't feel it's a foregone conclusion. Pacheco pieced Harrison up the last time they met. Holly should still have her boxing skills and strength. We will see.

Well that is the other problem. Holly's boxing skills are shit. Yes, I am aware of her record but have discussed Holly's numerous technical failings extensively before. Fuck it.

Stance: all wrong. Too much weight on the front foot compounded by her regularly leaning forward which:
1. is part of the reason why someone with her athleticism gets hit so much
2. Why her punches have shit for power (or her left, which should be her power punch. She has to lean back slightly to put her hips into the punch because they are behind her shoulders.
3. Limits her movement (meaning she is either going to be off-balance when moving or has to take a brief instant to correct her balance first. No, this does not take even a second but we all know how important small increments are in a fight.

Actual boxing: she does not do it. There is a way a boxer punches and Holly does not use her legs properly (this is amazingly common in MMA but far more so in the women's house). Shevchenko has the same issue. If they actually use their legs like a boxer when punching they would have more power.

Movement (more than stance): Just plain bad. She shuffles from side to side, that is about all. She is fast because she is one hell of an athlete but really all she does is shuffle to one side or the other. No ring-cutting (ok, cage dammit) so she spends time chasing fighters with actual footwork. Sure, she is light on her feet but her technical footwork is just not there.

Set up: She tends to favor standing just outside of kicking range. This would be fine expect when she rushes in (straight line nearly every time) she starts jabbing from this range which means her jab is a throw away shot. Sometimes she will shuffle side kick (perhaps others know this technique by a different name) from this range which would be fine except her stance (she above) is also a little too square, which results in her needing to turn her hips a bit more to actually throw a decent side kick. And she leaves it hanging out there, hopping on one foot with the other in the air. Nunes timed this perfectly and came right over the top with a fight-ending round kick.

Her basic issue would be summed up as "she was never properly taught the basics" and now, well, how she fights is not going to change.

Holly has a basic problem that many women in MMA seem to have: their skills never caught up to her athleticism. Her conditioning is on par with any fighter, she is agile, reasonably strong but, well, she has glaring flaws in her technique.

Friday January 26, 2024

[MUAY THAI/MMA] ONE Friday Fights 49 Bangkok, Thailand
Main Card – YouTube – 7:30am ET / 4:30am PT
Anita Karim vs. Adriana Fusini – MMA

Saturday January 27

[MMA] WEF 130 Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan
Main Card – YouTube – 5:00am ET / 2:00am PT
Anelya Toktogonova vs. Ayim Kulataeva

[MMA] JSC 1 Nimes, France
Main Card – TBD – 1:30pm ET / 10:30am PT
Morgane Dehaye vs. Dilia Suyapa

[BARE KNUCKLE BOXING] BKFC Prospect Series 3
Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
Main Card – YouTube – 9:00pm ET / 6:00pm PT
Brittany Horton vs. Karla Alvarez

[MMA] LFA 175: Lopes vs. Brigagão Cajamar, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Main Card – UFC Fight Pass – 9:00pm ET / 6:00pm PT
Lany Silva vs. Naizi Cantanhede
Preliminary Card – YouTube – 7:45pm ET / 4:45pm PT
Nicoly Pedroza vs. Andreyna Rocha
Gabriela Fujimoto vs. Sabrina Oliveira
Beatriz Consuli vs. Carol Foro
Aieza Bertolso vs. Fabrizia Ketlinn

Sunday January 28

[VARIOUS] ONE 165: Superlek vs. Takeru Tokyo, Japan
Main Card – iPPV – 4:30am ET / 1:30am PT
Itsuki Hirata vs. Ayaka Miura – MMA
Preliminary Card – iPPV / YouTube – 3:00am ET / 12:00am PT

[KICKBOXING] KRUSH 157 Bunkyo, Tokyo, Japan
Main Card – ABEMA TV – 3:15am ET / 12:15am PT
Noriko Ikeuchi vs. Mao

more: https://grabakahitman.com/

in that case, how about a friendly AV or belt bet? I could totally rock a sparkly pink belt :D

Av bet? Round here I only do 'life' bets, amigo
cqYZrqQ.gif

OK, I need a new av to start the year anyway. and IMO, so do you. ;)

At ONE 165, 115: Ayaka Miura (12-5-0, 1 NC) defeated Itsuki Hirata (6-2-0). Miura pretty much tied her up for all three rounds, leading to a clear but uneventful UD victory.

One of the worst fights I've ever seen
I am damn glad I decided againstbuying the PPV, then… Hirata was pretty much the reason I contemplated seeing it in realtime. Old price I would have paid and not been pissed off, but seems like I dodged a 35€ bullet here.

I am damn glad I decided againstbuying the PPV, then… Hirata was pretty much the reason I contemplated seeing it in realtime. Old price I would have paid and not been pissed off, but seems like I dodged a 35€ bullet here.
I haven't finished the whole card yet, but so far it's been pretty poor

Back