World Bank Study: ISIS recruits are more educated than their average countrymen

The narrative of "it's poverty' garners them sympathy and engenders us to understand their plight ; ISIS recruits do not deserve that sympathy...even if they were poor.
It is poverty! It is young people! It is lack of opportunity!

That's why the Arabian peninsula is so modern and free of terrorists.

They are so smart that they strap bombs to their body and blow themselves up. lol

Are they more educated than Syrians or the average person of their home country?

They are so smart that they strap bombs to their body and blow themselves up. lol
The Kamikaze pilots weren't dumb. Special Forces soldiers aren't dumb and they venture into situations that have a very high probability of death . For some people, even smart folks, ideology means more than self preservation.

Are they more educated than Syrians or the average person of their home country?
The average person in their home country and sometimes much more educated than the average person from their home countries.

Education doesn't necessarily make one impervious to fanaticism.
Exactly, just take a look at our colleges and universities.

There are usually two types of radicals; the idiot easy to manipulate one and the intellectual and influential one. The ones we should fear more are the intellectual types.

Quran-school is not education.
As far as I know most of them aren't religiously educated.
Education doesn't necessarily make one impervious to fanaticism.
In this case I think it makes them more susceptible to fanaticism. I've said it before, the Islamists are in many ways like feminists and Marxist. This is often an ideology young, idealists run into in their college years. Like those other ideologies it promises sweeping change and a utopia so its attractive to the usual suspects like student activists, academics, and certain professionals who gravitate towards political activity
It then begs questions like, Who is teaching them? And what is being taught?
If I'm not mistaken they're often educated in STEM fields.

In this case I think it makes them more susceptible to fanaticism. I've said it before, the Islamists are in many ways like feminists and Marxist. This is often an ideology young, idealists run into in their college years. Like those other ideologies it promises sweeping change and a utopia so its attractive to the usual suspects like student activists, academics, and certain professionals who gravitate towards political activity.

Most prominent features of youths is that they don't understand nuances and think worldwide changes are bound to happen in their lifetime, due to their activism. Former is the consequence of inexperience, latter of vanity.

Last edited:
Most prominent features of youths is that they don't understand nuances and think worldwide changes are bound to happen in their lifetime, due to their activism. Former is the consequence of inexperience, latter of vanity.
I've actually experienced a bit of an opposite twist on what you say. I used to believe nothing could ever change, but as I age I become more and more sure that the world will of course change in my life time. My difference is that I don't presume to know how or why.

In the past 200 years, what generation hasn't experienced major world changes? There have consistently been rapid and life altering technological developments. National boundaries have changed through war and politics, whole new countries have even been created. Women were unable to vote in many places within this century, and still can't vote in places today. Slavery was not so long ago.

I think it's arrogant to think that the world won't change in our life time.

I've actually experienced a bit of an opposite twist on what you say. I used to believe nothing could ever change, but as I age I become more and more sure that the world will of course change in my life time. My difference is that I don't presume to know how or why.

In the past 200 years, what generation hasn't experienced major world changes? There have consistently been rapid and life altering technological developments. National boundaries have changed through war and politics, whole new countries have even been created. Women were unable to vote in many places within this century, and still can't vote in places today. Slavery was not so long ago.

I think it's arrogant to think that the world won't change in our life time.

Well, it all depends on how you define "change".

The highly educated lean left? You don't say.

The article points out the fact that having too many left leaning professor's has caused some concern over indoctrination because there are too many professors with a similar outlook.
Having too many people in an institution of higher learning who believe the same thing can lead to indoctrination because there is no counter-view to balance things out.

The reason the "educated" left have far more radicals is because they tend to be indoctrinated in leftist biased institutions. It would be more accurate to say that the highly indoctrinated lean left.

Last edited by a moderator:
It then begs questions like, Who is teaching them? And what is being taught?
Their religion is their core philosophy.

Experience to western culture would increase conflict, we cant assume that western culture will actually break their core philosophy 100% every time.

A lack of education, poverty and socioeconomic factors have long been go to excuses for Islamic apologists but as we can see, this is not the case and the apologists have got it wrong as usual.

What will it take for people to just admit that Islam is the problem?

Well if we never invaded Iraq, there be no ISIS today.

Liberals pander.

They see them as weak, so therefore so is their culture.

Education cant change who you are, it can only influence. Even then college/university is something that you do from the ages of 18-22, still lots of maturing to do. Am i wrong in thinking the liberal idea of education being key too moulding and warping young minds is only moderately successful. I mean you could have muhummud loving the drugs, booze, girls, disney land, movies etc etc then when hes late 20s he starts seeing it all as rather shallow. Slowly but surely the call of Islam becomes stronger.

Whats the average age of these islamists from these esteemed universities, or at what stage are they turning to the dark side ?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luciusaugustus
Back