world cup vs olympic soccer

rindan***

Blue Belt
Reaction score
educate me on soccer

which is more prestigious

I would guess the world cup of course. Do the same players who play in world cup play in olympics or is that more of an amateur affair a la boxing?

Also when do they start putting together national teams. Do they just cobble together the best players in a country a couple of months before the event or do they start training together further along than that.

Every country has it's own soccer league, so taking the best players from all these local teams to train together would take away from local games, how do they manage that

I know they have off season country vs country games - where do those teams come from?

My non-soccer self would rather watch the Euro Cup than Olympic soccer, so that should tell you something.

Not very prestigious. Olympics are players under 23 + 3 players that are older than 23.

Soccer is overshadowed in the Olympics because you have A level athletes like LeBron playing.

educate me on soccer

which is more prestigious

I would guess the world cup of course. Do the same players who play in world cup play in olympics or is that more of an amateur affair a la boxing?

Also when do they start putting together national teams. Do they just cobble together the best players in a country a couple of months before the event or do they start training together further along than that.

Every country has it's own soccer league, so taking the best players from all these local teams to train together would take away from local games, how do they manage that

I know they have off season country vs country games - where do those teams come from?

World Cup is far more prestigious. At the Olympics all but three players in the squad have to be under 23. It's also just taken far less seriously by the major nations.

National teams get together and play a few times spread out through the season, to qualify for tournaments and also in friendlies. This helps the manager see who gels, what works etc.

Kinda like comparing pro boxing with olympic boxing... Olympic soccer is considered more for amateurs/beginners...

Not very prestigious. Olympics are players under 23 + 3 players that are older than 23.

This.

Plenty of die hard soccer fans don't even pay attention to Olympic soccer that much. It's seen as a youth competition for the most part. There is also typically some regional competition like EURO, Copa America, Gold Cup, etc. going on in the same summer. People have a hard time taking the Olympics that seriously.

Women's soccer in the Olympics is taken far more seriously as it's the full national teams. It's still a secondary competition to the Women's World Cup.

National teams get together and play a few times spread out through the season, to qualify for tournaments and also in friendlies. This helps the manager see who gels, what works etc.

so when do they start training exclusively together

soccer has such an emphasis on teamwork, if I were in charge I would put together a national team of best players at the very least a year prior to world cup and just have them play international matches, rather than have them wasting time on different local teams with different coaches

I think that would get much better results

soccer has such an emphasis on teamwork, if I were in charge I would put together a national team of best players at the very least a year prior to world cup and just have them play international matches, rather than have them wasting time on different local teams with different coaches

Club football is very powerful. The Champion's League also helps create an international flavour to football all year long. They have a similar tournament in South America.

The Olympic tournament was the de facto World Cup until the 1928 Olympics in Amsterdam.

Right now it's pretty much an U-23 World Cup, with a special stipulation of having 3 players over 23 max.

It's nice to win it. After all, an Olympic medal is a huge honor. But in the great scheme, it's pretty much the last stop for those who have been in youth processes before becoming mainstays in their national teams and playing the World Cup and continental tournaments. If they haven't done it earlier.

olympic soccer = noone gives a fuck basically...cause the best players in the world aren't playing on it. it's basically a under 23 world cup. football players usually hit their prime at 27. only 3 of them can play at the olympics and teams don't want to release their players to a pointless competition. so basically the best players over 23 never go anyway.

i dont think you understand.

Club football is the main thing. World cup is just once in a 4 year thing with national teams.

Great idea, only play international matches. and what about the thousands of players who do not get called up for the national teams.

Great idea, only play international matches. and what about the thousands of players who do not get called up for the national teams.

they can play in their country league while the national team is taking 2 years to prepare for world cup and if any of the world team players get injured they can take their place?

since world cup is 4 years apart that still gives the best players 2 years to fuck around on their local club teams

somebody should put me in charge of this shit

they can play in their country league while the national team is taking 2 years to prepare for world cup and if any of the world team players get injured they can take their place?

since world cup is 4 years apart that still gives the best players 2 years to fuck around on their local club teams

somebody should put me in charge of this shit

LOL, that is the stupidest shit I have ever read.

teams like Barcelona, Real madrid, Man utd etc would have no players left to actually play.

LOL, that is the stupidest shit I have ever read.

teams like Barcelona, Real madrid, Man utd etc would have no players left to actually play.

they would have no players to play for 2 years out of 4 while the national team takes two years to prepare and wins the world cup

my shit is good

they would have no players to play for 2 years out of 4 while the national team takes two years to prepare and wins the world cup

my shit is good

or you could just leave it as it is.

They already have around 10 international games a year outside of the world cup and nearly 10 weeks training as a group.

Back