world cup vs olympic soccer

In Brazil, people give a shit because it is the only main competition the CBF team hasn't won.

Once they do, it'll not be given that much attention.

World Cup(International Football) - European Championship(International Football) - Champions League(Club football) - Premiership/La Liga/Serie A/Bundesliga League titles(Club football)

^ The Grand Slam of Footballs most prestigious 4 Major football Tournaments right there

Olympic football even falls below domestic Cups such as the FA Cup

World Cup(International Football) - European Championship(International Football) - Champions League(Club football) - Premiership/La Liga/Serie A/Bundesliga League titles(Club football)

^ The Grand Slam of Footballs most prestigious 4 Major football Tournaments right there

Or Copa America for the South Americans. I can't believe Argentina last major title was Copa America 93 in Ecuador. The 2007 Argentina team that lost the Copa America to Brazil is one of the most entertaining teams I have see.

educate me on soccer

which is more prestigious

I would guess the world cup of course. Do the same players who play in world cup play in olympics or is that more of an amateur affair a la boxing?

Also when do they start putting together national teams. Do they just cobble together the best players in a country a couple of months before the event or do they start training together further along than that.

Every country has it's own soccer league, so taking the best players from all these local teams to train together would take away from local games, how do they manage that

I know they have off season country vs country games - where do those teams come from?

World cup is by far more prestigious. Olympic soccer is mainly a youth team with 3 over 23 players. You probably wont see too many stars on those teams compared to the ones you will see in the world cup.

When it comes to building a national squad it depends on the tournament or the game. Sometimes you want to field a team with your best players for world cup matches. Other times you might want to experiment or field a different side to give players international experience or try out different tactics.

For example in the 2007 copa america: The Brazilian side lacked a few super stars like Robihno, Pato and Ronaldahino. This was because Dunga was more defensive oriented.

Dunga experimented with unknown brazilians rather then superstars. I know Klinnsman liked to use different players to test out formations.

So it really depends on the availability of the player and the importance of the game they are going to play. Some times they do camps other times they dont.

With regards to local games it depends on the player and the team. Again I imagine it is harder to convince Barcelona to let go for Messi from a Champions League match so he can travel to play with Argentina. Then it to convince a local team to give up its star for a local game.

it is up to the player and the team. But usually they organize it pretty well so for important games the national team has their best possible line up. Local games do lose some but usually it is okay. Also they tend to organize games in the summer so they dont conflict with league schedules that much.

However for MLS whose schedule is in the summer they normally have a 2 week break to accommodate for the world cup.

Or Copa America for the South Americans. I can't believe Argentina last major title was Copa America 93 in Ecuador. The 2007 Argentina team that lost the Copa America to Brazil is one of the most entertaining teams I have see.

We have to talk about Libertadores da América too. Our continental club competition.
For a lot of brazilians, it's only under the World Cup in importance, and for a few, more important than World Cup.
One of happiest days of my life was when Corinthians won the Libertadores.

There is an article talking about how CBF turned the national team into a entertainment for the brazilian families, disconnecting it from the football fans themselves (if I can find it, i'll post it later), and because of it, a good part of brazilian football fans don't care about the national team, and only love (and truly, radically, hopelessly and a lot of time dangerously love) their clubs

Even I'm more into Corinthians than the national team, It still gets me excited. And I really want to see Brasil winning the Olympics (and the World Cup at least three times more).

Its kinda like boxing. Olympics are more amateur level, young players....

Prestige wise its the world cup. But from a quality point of view the World Cup is pretty bad also.
It cant compete with Premier league, Bundesliga, Seria A etc.
Because national teams simple don't have the time to train together in order to get a good system going, compared to lets say the last 8 of the champions league.

the real question in the u.s is which is more prestigious? the world cup or the local softball beer league?

World Cup. It's the greatest prize in international football.

The Football Tournament of the Olympic Games is unfortunately insignificant. The teams are only allowed to select players 23 or under, except 3 senior players who can be any age. Both the selection of senior and junior players is limited due to professional footballers not wanting to risk sustaining injuries in a tournament nobody cares about. Especially when the players are capable of winning honours at club level- ie. domestic titles & cups, and continental competitions like the Champions League or Euro Cup, which are all more prestigious than The Football Tournament of the Olympic Games.

Champions League is the best IMO

Back