Would Crawford be competitive with Canelo?

These threads are reminding me of when Canelo first started moving up in weight, we'd get all kinds of people saying "now that canelo is up to 160... can he beat [heavyweight] ?!?!?!"
i'd like to see how crawford's power fares at 154 before i really jump on the bandwagon

All of us from both sides thought Spence & Crawford would be competitive....But it wasn't at all....So it doesn't matter what we think.
This is why you fight the fights!!!!! To see the outcome.... The suspence....The true test of legacy and greatness.

He should do it and dare to be great. Doesn't matter the outcome. He hasn't taken a ton of damage in his career. He's arguably the most skilled all around fighter in the game. 2 generational talents that ruled around the same 2 weights & could possibly share common opponents. Should find a way to make it work.

Circle of life. Canelo is honestly at the age and mileage where I wouldn't be surprised if in a fight or few he looked as flat as Spence did last night. Like the Bivol fight but worse. That's how this game works. Old lions losing their prides to the younger hungrier lions. I think that tips a lot of things in Crawford's favor that may get overlooked due to Canelo's size and power.

Khan was lucky to walk away from that without permanent damage. Canelo is a weight bully at the best of times - that fight should never have been sanctioned.

Crawford is a top 5 p4p but Canelo is just too big and powerful.

How is Canelo a weight bully? The guys moved up to 175…. He looked flat against bivol but tbh he fought an incredible boxer who had height, reach, and weight advantage.

Come on guys. Canelo is knocking out 168lbers and was still pretty damn competitive against a legit 175lber.
Let's not get too carried away here.

I think the fight with charlo will say a lot. If Canelo goes in there and wins but it’s not decisive I guarantee Crawford takes the fight. Because In his mind he thinks he’ll smoke charlo

If charlo gets destroyed Crawford will not challenge him, he’s already on record saying he’ll never fight Canelo because of weight and he thinks charlo is going to lose at 168 to Canelo

Canelo might be too slow for Bud at this point. He does have a granite chin. It would be a totally different fight, but I think Bud would win a decision.

Amir Khan did pretty well against Canelo in the first 4 rounds, but his chin is made of glass. Not saying Crawford can win, but I think he puts up a really good showing.

To be fair, that shot from Canelo would've dropped heavyweights. I think.

Let's not get carried away. If Bud fought Canelo he'd be a big underdog. He might be competitive at the beginning but Canelo will eventually find him with a big shot and when he does it'll be over. The size & strength difference would almost certainly be too much for Bud to overcome. I don't think Canelo could even make 160 anymore and that's the absolute lowest he'd be able to meet him at. Let's see how Bud does against Boots and at 154.

Let's not get carried away. If Bud fought Canelo he'd be a big underdog. He might be competitive at the beginning but Canelo will eventually find him with a big shot and when he does it'll be over. The size & strength difference would almost certainly be too much for Bud to overcome. I don't think Canelo could even make 160 anymore and that's the absolute lowest he'd be able to meet him at. Let's see how Bud does against Boots and at 154.

In the hypothetical nonexistent world in which Canelo could still make 160, I don’t believe the size and strength would be enough to beat Bud. Size and strength didn’t affect Manny, who came from flyweight to eventually starch welterweights. It didn’t affect Floyd, who dominated Canelo. I mean, there are dozens upon dozens of similar examples in boxing history. When you’re good, you’re good.

In the hypothetical nonexistent world in which Canelo could still make 160, I don’t believe the size and strength would be enough to beat Bud. Size and strength didn’t affect Manny, who came from flyweight to eventually starch welterweights. It didn’t affect Floyd, who dominated Canelo. I mean, there are dozens upon dozens of similar examples in boxing history. When you’re good, you’re good.
You do realize Canelo went up in several higher weight classes and destroyed people too, right?

So now Bud is Pac or Floyd? Okay. It remains to be seen. The current version of Canelo has slipped a bit but he's a different animal than the version Floyd fought which was at a catchweight of 152 lbs. You do realize that the vast majority of great fighters that move up to fight other great fighters that many divisions north lose, right? They generally become less effective. You've given me some exceptions but exceptions will always exist. Again, let's see how Bud does at 154 first. He may never even move up to 160. It'll depend on how he performs at 154. A good big guy beats a good little guy as the old adage goes. Canelo and Bud are both great but that doesn't change the equation.

Canelo can't make 160 and be healthy anymore but if it were the Canelo that fought GGG, then Canelo beats Crawford comfortably at 160. I think Crawford is special enough to make the distance but the size difference is way too much, he'd lose decisively.

So now Bud is Pac or Floyd? Okay. It remains to be seen. The current version of Canelo has slipped a bit but he's a different animal than the version Floyd fought which was at a catchweight of 152 lbs. You do realize that the vast majority of great fighters that move up to fight other great fighters that many divisions north lose, right? They generally become less effective. You've given me some exceptions but exceptions will always exist. Again, let's see how Bud does at 154 first. He may never even move up to 160. It'll depend on how he performs at 154. A good big guy beats a good little guy as the old adage goes. Canelo and Bud are both great but that doesn't change the equation.

When you’re the first man to ever be undisputed in 2 weight divisions in the 4 belt era, you enter rare air. Yes, like it or not, he is in the conversation with Floyd and Pac. Just like those guys, he is the exception to the rule. FFs, he just made the #4 p4p boxer in the world look like he didn’t even belong in the same ring with him.

Canelo is no longer in his prime and is beginning to slow down, but the answer is still no.

When you’re the first man to ever be undisputed in 2 weight divisions in the 4 belt era, you enter rare air. Yes, like it or not, he is in the conversation with Floyd and Pac. Just like those guys, he is the exception to the rule. FFs, he just made the #4 p4p boxer in the world look like he didn’t even belong in the same ring with him.
I'm aware of Bud's accomplishments. I've followed his entire career. Inoue will also be a two-division undisputed champ in about 4 months FYI. Have you ever seen Bud perform at 154 or above? Did he look impressive against the top guys there? When you can answer yes to these questions then we'll revisit this conversation.

I'm aware of Bud's accomplishments. I've followed his entire career. Inoue will also be a two-division undisputed champ in about 4 months FYI. Have you ever seen Bud perform at 154 or above? Did he look impressive against the top guys there? When you can answer yes to these questions then we'll revisit this conversation.

He’s been getting better as he goes up in weight. He’s the best boxer in the world right now, so it’s about time he starts getting the benefit of the doubt like Floyd and Manny used to.

Back