Would Deontay Wilder have a good chance of beating Ngannou in an MMA fight?

I'll be happy to take as much money as you want to lose that Wilder doesn't get a KO in anything even remotely close to 10 seconds of they fought in mma which ill never happen.

Your thread is retarded and it is clear you are clueless. There have been a lot of dumb boxing vs MMA threads but this one is shortbus special.
Why would I bet you at evens when I could get 3/1 or whatever from the bookies? And it would be about like 3/1, not 100/1 as you idiots seem to think.

Why would I bet you at evens when I could get 3/1 or whatever from the bookies? And it would be about like 3/1, not 100/1 as you idiots seem to think.
I'm just trying to take your money because you seem exceptionally dumb.

Wilder has a chance but it isn't a good one. Punching range is different in MMA, he could try for a quick big shot and end up in a scramble and on the ground within seconds.
In percentage terms how big a chance would you give him? 0.1% is "a chance", technically. So is 30%.

Wilder is like 40lbs lighter, Ngannou took down Gane and Stipe. Also armbarred Hamilton. Francis is strong as fuck and unless Wilder starched Ngannou immediately or Ngannou decided not to mix it up... Ngannou would be able to put Wilder on his back and either get a tko or submission.

What if 4oz gloves Wilder nails him on the chin/temple/forehead in the first 10 seconds?
A heavy hitter has at least a very small puncher's chance in any fight..we all know that. The odds of it happening are VERY low, though.

Ngannou's chin isn't proven in boxing, let alone against very possibly the most dangerous straight right hand KO artist ever. Sylvia's chin held up fine in MMA, zero KO defeats before he fought Mercer.

48399c339a265113e82f441fd674ac08.gif

LinedQuaintAnteater-max-1mb.gif

giphy.gif

Not saying Timmeh wasn't tough or anything, but his chin had been found wanting quite a few times years before he fought Mercer. And that was when he was actually training and winning. The bloated mess that was Timmeh towards the end of his career was just terrible...

3IyjLVl.gif

And let's not forget Mercer could absolutely CRACK!!!

E4aQQ_.gif

Wilder is an odd choice. Prime Foreman or Lennox Lewis (much more solidly built strong guys) would be better choices if we're assuming they at least a fight camp to learn basic grappling. They wouldn't be physically bullied like Wilder. A 6'7" guy who weighs around 215 is just begging for a double leg..and it doesn't take a great grappler to get him on the ground. He could lose a street fight to a rugby or college/NFL player, as they'd instinctively close the distance quickly and take him to the ground. (I'm assuming neither one has trained in MMA and Wilder would get pounded out on the ground or just cry uncle).

Last edited:
And let's not forget Mercer could absolutely CRACK!!!

E4aQQ_.gif
Mercer wasn't a big puncher by high level boxing standards. Tommy (who was a bit chinny) gassed and Mercer caught him tangled in the ropes, in the corner, with a combination. That was also a prime Mercer, not the fat, beyond shot Mercer that Sylvia fought. Mercer's absolute best performance was against Lewis, when he was in the midst of a 6 fight streak without a stoppage or knockdown. Ngannou has a better chin than Sylvia sure (though how much has it been tested? He didn't want to have it tested by MMA KO artist Lewis) but Wilder's power is on a completely different level to even prime Mercer's.

Ngannou is also 36 now: is the chin quite as strong as it was a few years ago? And my hypothetical entailed Ngannou getting KO'd early in a boxing match by Wilder first, which would add mileage too. If Ngannou was able to eat Wilder's right hand easily in boxing then the MMA fight would almost be a foregone conclusion.

Last edited:
Wilder is an odd choice. Prime Foreman or Lennox Lewis (much more solidly built strong guys) would be better choices if we're assuming they at least a fight camp to learn basic grappling. They wouldn't be physically bullied like Wilder. A 6'7" guy who weighs around 215 is just begging for a double leg..and it doesn't take a great grappler to get him on the ground. He could lose a street fight to a rugby or college/NFL player, as they'd instinctively close the distance quickly and take him to the ground. (I'm assuming neither one has trained in MMA and Wilder would get pounded out on the ground or just cry uncle).
The difference is that Wilder is alive as a fighter in the same era as Ngannou. He could actually fight him, it's not just some hypothetical fantasy matchup.

Prime Foreman was not much heavier than Wilder. Ngannou likely rehydrates above 265 but even assuming he's 265, he'd be at least 37 lbs heavier than 70's Foreman and could ragdoll him. Lewis was 245-250 lbs so Ngannou is still a lot heavier. A fight camp wouldn't remotely cut it, Gane's had years training his grappling and was taken down pretty easily. Foreman and Lewis would get finished, punchers chance aside.

Wilder also has a considerable advantage over Foreman and Lewis, even beyond the more explosive right hand: he's faster than those guys. Being 220 lbs is a disadvantage in grappling but none of them could win a grappling match with Ngannou. But it does give Wilder the footspeed and handspeed to have a better chance of landing the shot.

A rugby/NFL player could potentially take Wilder down but could they hold him down? Do they have the technique? Wilder certainly isn't weak, don't let Fury 2 and 3 fool you. I'm not taking any rugby or NFL player over Wilder in a street fight, one shot and they are done and he's good at landing it against high level boxers, let alone a rugby player.

A rugby/NFL player could potentially take Wilder down but could they hold him down? Do they have the technique? Wilder certainly isn't weak, don't let Fury 2 and 3 fool you. I'm not taking any rugby or NFL player over Wilder in a street fight, one shot and they are done and he's good at landing it against high level boxers, let alone a rugby player.
In a street fight they'd throw punches, elbows, head butts or whatever they wanted. I grew up in an era before MMA and saw good "street boxers" (one at my high school was almost Jon Jones-ish with his height/reach) win a bunch of fights before a football player or just big stocky guy took them down and pounded them or simply said "I could really hurt you...don't do that again" (in a case when the guys were friends).

I'm talking a hypothetical fight where neither guys has grappling training but the football/rugby players has more mass and is violent/roided enough to start throwing punches as soon as they're on top.

In MMA? No chance but a punchers chance
Sure but how big is the punchers chance? Most technically overmatched fighters have one but they vary enormously, Wilder's punchers chance is greater than anyone else's. Is it 1%? 10%? 25%? 49%?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back