Would powerlifters/bodybuilders be able to hit hard with correct technique?

I brokenthat record last week hitting it with my schlong.

Legit lol there.

FoolishAdmirableIncatern-max-1mb.gif

To answer your question. No to bodybuilders and yes to strength athletes (powerlifters, olympic weightlifters and strongman) and yes to rugby/NFL players.

The problem with bodybuilders is that they train in a way that actually makes them worse athletes overall. They train for size and an aesthetic look. As a consequence they focus on isolating muscle groups and they perform slow reps. Strength athletes and NFL/rugby players train to move heavy weight quickly. They focus on explosive movements as well as compound movements that link their muscles together. They at least theoretically should be able to hit harder than anyone else because of their development of their fast twitch muscle fibers. Now the issue comes down to technique more than anything else. There are a lot of little mechanics that go into hitting very hard.

Take someone like Srisaket Sor Rungvisai he fights at superflyweight but he has a ton of power which he developed through proper technique. Smaller fighters need to be more disciplined to develop power as they are less often able to really on brute strength or mass to compensate for their lack of technique. The problem with strength athletes is that they could possibly hit reasonably hard just by relying on their strength or mass so they might get sloppy with the techniques. The other problem is that in order to be able to hit really hard a fighter has to be okay with their power decreasing first. Many of the techniques take time to learn and while a fighter is trying to learn them they may feel that they are hitting less hard which may simply be an indication that they aren't using brute strength anymore. The fighter needs to be disciplined enough to rely on the development of technique and be okay with going through a learning process. That isn't the easiest thing to do when you have ridiculous strength, you can easily let you ego get in the way and go back to sloppy mechanics because it feels like you are hitting harder.

The other potential problem is that some people believe that power punching isn't teachable so they don't study the mechanics and learn how to develop it. If you want to develop it I would look into some of the instructional material by Kenny Weldon, Russell Stutely and Steve Morris

Here are some clips

What does being on steroids have to do with it? Do you think no boxer has ever used steroids for an advantage?

I am talking about the bodybuilder that abuses steroids, not a boxer that doesn't abuse steroids like the picks i posted, as you can see there's a big differences in body types of abusing steroids and not abusing steroids and I can post much worse pictures of people really abusing steroids to the point of looking deformed and paying the price of it with muscle deformity.

Boxers the use steroids don't look like bodybuilders, because they don't abuse steroids like bodybuilders who do because their intention is to gain the most size as humanly possible, but the boxers who use steroids only are looking for that speed and strength and stamina edge, not the size edge. Like that runner who cheated and won the Gold Medal in the Olympics, who beat Carl Lewis. Ben Johnson that's his name, Ben wasn't taking steroids for size but was talking steroids for speed and explosiveness and endurance, like boxers who take steroids.

power comes mostly from your hips and legs. I know this because i once had the world record on the punching bag arcade game at my local dave and busters.

Power also comes from your shoulders and snapping your punches and turning your hand over, this does more damage to the human body because the body is mostly water and throwing your punch snapping it like a ball with a chain does more damage then just getting hit with a ball thrown straight.

This has to due with the bodies absorbing the damage, turning your punches over and snapping them does more damage then punching strait because the human body being mostly water. There's a science video about this but i can't find it.

Power also comes from your shoulders and snapping your punches and turning your hand over, this does more damage to the human body because the body is mostly water and throwing your punch snapping it like a ball with a chain does more damage then just getting hit with a ball thrown straight.

This has to due with the bodies absorbing the damage, turning your punches over and snapping them does more damage then punching strait because the human body being mostly water. There's a science video about this but i can't find it.

That actually makes a lot of sense. makes me wonder more how guys like Triple G generate so much power cuz it looks like he pushes his punches compared to other guys who snap their punches, prime example the kell brook fight, where Brook looked way more refined with his technique. however, brook's weight may have been more of the reason he lost i suppose

That actually makes a lot of sense. makes me wonder more how guys like Triple G generate so much power cuz it looks like he pushes his punches compared to other guys who snap their punches, prime example the kell brook fight, where Brook looked way more refined with his technique. however, brook's weight may have been more of the reason he lost i suppose
___________________________________________________________________________________

Getting hit in the head and the Brain absorbing the damage might be do to a persons genetics, or God given DNA. Because we see fighters get hit flush and it does crazy brain damage and KO"s them, then we see guys get hit with those same punches and they just smile, you could hit them with a basketball bat and they shake it off.

But everyone's brain is floating in water and when getting hit, their brain absorbs impact by hitting the inner skull, shutting their body's down, because of brain trauma. How some peoples brains can just take it and others can't, we don't know yet.

But Scientists and Doctors are studying this and say it might be because of Genetics and this could be the reason that some can take a punch and others can't, some fighters and other sports athletes can take the same brain trauma do to better Genetic DNA, then other athletes in their own sports.

Health & Science
Finding a link between genes and brain injury: Are some people predisposed to trauma?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...71ee10e9bc3_story.html?utm_term=.727e5c5231ce

Scientists studying head injuries have found something surprising: Genes may make some people more susceptible to concussion and trauma than others. A person’s genetic makeup, in fact, may play a more important role in the extent of injury than the number of blows a person sustains.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So more than likely fighters with crazy punching power, is due to genetic makeup and throwing your punches correctly increases your even natural elevated punching power, even higher.

But unnatural bodybuilding, would cause hampering of your natural punching power, do to over increasing your natural muscle growth, due to overuse of Steroids, that can decrease your natural punching power, i would think. Because your doing the opposite of increasing your punching power, by abusing Steroids, by overly increasing your muscle growth to unnatural proportions, limiting your flexibility and natural movement.

So: GGG hits harder then his natural weight class, due to his abnormal elevated Genetic makeup and he is hitting even harder, due to increasing his power with proper punching technique and proper strength training.

While Brooks just hits hard like normal people, but is increasing his punching power, due to proper strength training and proper punching techniques.

That's why someone posted, incredible punchers are born not made.

Bruce Lees students said: he had incredible punching power and speed, like Gorge Foreman and other great boxers, due to his Genetic makeup, or God given unnatural, DNA makeup. They said Bruce could hit you and really hurt you bad, even with a body shot, even wearing protection, even being so small and only weighing 140 to 155 pounds, like Many P. Now we know why Pac hits so hard, even being really small, braking bones in the face, like GGG, it's because of his unnatural Genetic makeup.

It's like a baseball pitcher, he can increase his ball speed and techniques with proper training and strength training, but imagine an unnatural bodybuilder trying to throw a 90 plus mile an hour basketball, they can't do it, unless i am proven wrong with video, i would think, you will never see a baseball pitcher looking like a steroid abusing unnatural bodybuilder, even though you would think his size, strength and increased power, due to strength training and his gains in muscle mass, would turn him into a incredible baseball pitcher, but scientifically it wouldn't, it would due the opposite and decrease his abilities to compete in those sports, because of his improper strength training and unnatural muscle size gains.

I am talking about the bodybuilder that abuses steroids, not a boxer that doesn't abuse steroids like the picks i posted, as you can see there's a big differences in body types of abusing steroids and not abusing steroids and I can post much worse pictures of people really abusing steroids to the point of looking deformed and paying the price of it with muscle deformity.

Boxers the use steroids don't look like bodybuilders, because they don't abuse steroids like bodybuilders who do because their intention is to gain the most size as humanly possible, but the boxers who use steroids only are looking for that speed and strength and stamina edge, not the size edge. Like that runner who cheated and won the Gold Medal in the Olympics, who beat Carl Lewis. Ben Johnson that's his name, Ben wasn't taking steroids for size but was talking steroids for speed and explosiveness and endurance, like boxers who take steroids.

So in essence it's not the fact that they are doing steroids, because plenty of 'natural' bodybuilders takes steroids too but the fact they get really big that's the issue. So it's not the steroids at all because as you admitted boxers also have been known to take steroids to increase their power. Just like tour de france riders who aren't stereo typically big use steroids because of the power and strength advantage it gives them. So really steroids aren't the problem but what you do with them is more the issue.

That actually reminds me of the perspectives on striking in Systema. They talk a lot about how that form of punching actually damages the internal organs. Here is an example of this form of striking

Also even though this can come across as pure BS on first glance, understanding pressure points and the angles you to attack them are relevant. When you understand this areas to attack and the angle to attack them you can understand what leads to someone getting knocked out or dropped by a body punch. Go watch a bunch of knockouts after and see how many are caused by hitting these regions on these angles. As a note this video doesn't do a great job of explaining how to punch these areas and which punch to use but you can use your imagination or just watch some fights to see how it translates.

Basketball players make the easiest transition to boxing.

So in essence it's not the fact that they are doing steroids, because plenty of 'natural' bodybuilders takes steroids too but the fact they get really big that's the issue. So it's not the steroids at all because as you admitted boxers also have been known to take steroids to increase their power. Just like tour de france riders who aren't stereo typically big use steroids because of the power and strength advantage it gives them. So really steroids aren't the problem but what you do with them is more the issue.

steroids improve any form of athletics and that is why they are banned. You last sentence encapsulates it. Bodybuilders don't train to be athletic so their muscles are almost useless in any real world application. They don't develop their tendon strength, their muscles are excessively large and require too much oxygen to operate so they fatigue quickly. They also isolate their muscles which means that they don't necessarily work well together. This means that they often move slowly because their muscles are competing with each other rather than working together. They also train slow movements which makes them move slowly.

See this article for a detailed explanation http://www.criticalbench.com/muscle-fiber-type.htm

A big component of power generation is actually neurological. The variables are peak contractile force and the speed of transmission through the nervous system. The brain sends a message to the muscles to contract and if the nervous system has been trained properly then it will send the fastest message to reach peak force as quick as possible. Muscle size has less to do with power than the neurological system. Take for example a chimpanzee they are very strong relative to their size and research has suggested that they are much stronger than humans. Now take someone who works as a mover or on a construction site or some other form of physical labor. They are often very strong but can appear very small relative to a bodybuilder. The key difference is tendon strength and the development of the nervous system. That is why you may hear the term functional strength because that form of strength is applicable in a wide range of domains. Whereas the strength attained is most bodybuilding exercises has restricted uses.

If you want to get good at any sport then don't waste your time with bodybuilding. The mast majority of its techniques will actually make you a worse athlete.

steroids improve any form of athletics and that is why they are banned. You last sentence encapsulates it. Bodybuilders don't train to be athletic so their muscles are almost useless in any real world application. They don't develop their tendon strength, their muscles are excessively large and require too much oxygen to operate so they fatigue quickly. They also isolate their muscles which means that they don't necessarily work well together. This means that they often move slowly because their muscles are competing with each other rather than working together. They also train slow movements which makes them move slowly.

See this article for a detailed explanation http://www.criticalbench.com/muscle-fiber-type.htm

A big component of power generation is actually neurological. The variables are peak contractile force and the speed of transmission through the nervous system. The brain sends a message to the muscles to contract and if the nervous system has been trained properly then it will send the fastest message to reach peak force as quick as possible. Muscle size has less to do with power than the neurological system. Take for example a chimpanzee they are very strong relative to their size and research has suggested that they are much stronger than humans. Now take someone who works as a mover or on a construction site or some other form of physical labor. They are often very strong but can appear very small relative to a bodybuilder. The key difference is tendon strength and the development of the nervous system. That is why you may hear the term functional strength because that form of strength is applicable in a wide range of domains. Whereas the strength attained is most bodybuilding exercises has restricted uses.

If you want to get good at any sport then don't waste your time with bodybuilding. The mast majority of its techniques will actually make you a worse athlete.

Good post. I used to box and I also weight trained a fair bit with power lifting. I wasn't interested in size just strength. It worked fairly well as I definitely hit harder the problem was it pushed me up so that I had to compete at a higher weight class than I would have naturally. Guys in that weight class had size and reach on me. So in essence it was a bit of a trade off. But definitely much better than being a body builder trying to box.

I used to spar with a pretty heavy weight lifter, his punching power wasnt all that eventhough he outweighed me by 20lbs, but he did take a pre workout before every sparring session and his pace was pretty good, I would often tire myself out trying to outbox him because had a high workout rate and I know pre workouts are very big in the weight lifting world, anybody else experienced pre workouts and boxing together?? It would never work in a professional level let alone amateur because of dehydration and cramping but for sparring it defintiely is a big boost for a good workout.

That actually reminds me of the perspectives on striking in Systema. They talk a lot about how that form of punching actually damages the internal organs. Here is an example of this form of striking

Also even though this can come across as pure BS on first glance, understanding pressure points and the angles you to attack them are relevant. When you understand this areas to attack and the angle to attack them you can understand what leads to someone getting knocked out or dropped by a body punch. Go watch a bunch of knockouts after and see how many are caused by hitting these regions on these angles. As a note this video doesn't do a great job of explaining how to punch these areas and which punch to use but you can use your imagination or just watch some fights to see how it translates.

Pressure points are real i study Martial Arts and i can say 100% fact that pressure points are legit and work and hurt like hell, bu some teachers exaggerate about pressure points, just like everything else, to make money.

I have had my arms put to sleep by my teacher using pressure points, trying to hit him and i have been put in serious pain getting taught pressure points, if done correctly.

There's even pressure points to knock you out on your chin and the side of your face.The same places you train to hit as a boxer and also the temple area.

chart-1.JPG

There's more Pressure points then this, you can buy books on this and look for better charts.

I took a year off from boxing and got in to weightlifting. I came back and barely survived a circuit training which was effortless until I switched to weightlifting.

I also lacked muscle endurance, lactic acid came quick. The benefit was not my power but the fact that boxing is a catabolic sport and prolong practice will make you kind of flat in term of athletic ability. So weightlifting is good to do in short phases to replenish natural testosterone.

One of the best ways to increase your power is Isometric exercise, Bruce Lee use to do this regularly along with his strength training and Bruce was experimenting with everything, he was doing things that trainers are using today.

People are getting confused with bodybuilding, steroid use and enhancing athletic abilities and endurance and strength and using steroids . The two are totally different steroid usage. Ben Johnson using steroids are totally different then Mr. Olympia using steroids. One uses steroids for size and the other uses steroids for endurance being more explosive and increasing strength, speed.

Bodybuilder using steroids only for muscle mass gains.
coleman-after.jpg

V%C3%ADctor-Mart%C3%ADnez-Steroid-Cycle.png

Track Olympics cheat using steroids, Ben Johnson, only using steroids for increasing athletic abilities, such as strength endurance and speed, explosiveness.
5058615.jpg

Mr. Olympia is not throwing a 90 mile an hour fastball, not becoming Heavyweight champion, or running the 100 yard dash braking world records or any records.

But Ben Johnson could be a great boxing champion, if he doesn't get busted and probably play baseball, with his speed alone, stealing bases and could probably hit a fastball.

I don't know why people are getting confused with the different usage of steroids.

But a natural bodybuilder can complete and be great at sports and punch with insane power, because he's just doing sculpted muscle strength training and not using and abusing steroids to gain oversized unnatural muscle mass, like the pick above. This man looks like any athlete competing in baseball and boxing and football. The bodybuilder is doing strength training and it's no different from doing pull-ups and push-ups, then doing bench-press and curls with dumbbells, the only differences is trainers taboos like in boxing. But there's no differences in working your shoulders using weights or just body weight exercise. MMA fighters pick up huge dumbbell weight and tires to train their shoulders and bodybuilders use dumbbell weight to train their shoulders while boxers, some of them use strictly light dumbbells and push-ups.But it's all resitance training and this builds strength no matter what exercise is being used. Evander Holyfield squashed this myth when using bodybuilding to gain size and strength. Because no boxing trainers would allow weight training using non body weight resistance ,but they will use dumbbells and some trainers still won't let their fighters use equipment to strength train, only a few.

http://www.sportsci.org/news/news9709/hatfield.html

TRAINING STRATEGY FOR EVANDER HOLYFIELD
Chest
A workout
bench press
B workout
add dumbbell bench press
C workout
add incline dumbbell bench press
Shoulders
A workout
seated dumbbell presses
B workout
add frontal dumbbell raises
C workout
add lateral raises
Back
A workout
bent rows, back extensions
B workout
add modified pull-ups
C workout
add pull-downs
Arms
A workout
EZ curls, pushdowns
B workout
add hi, moderate and low rep system
C workout
add dumbbell curls, dips
Legs
A workout
safety squats, keystone deadlifts
B workout
add lunge walking, glute-ham raises
C workout
add twisting squats, leg curls
Midsection
A workout
Russian twist
B workout
add pre-stretched crunches
C workout
add sidebends

All natural bodybuilder, doing sculpted body strength training to get great body cemetery, to win a trophy but,it's still strength training, all this other talk is nonsense, unless your using steroids to gain unnatural muscle size.
natural-bodybuilding-guide.jpg

Y did u choose bodybuilders out of every other sports...
why not a sport that has something to do with strength like powerlifting/strongman competitions... as obviously, bodybuilders don't try to get stronger/faster with their training programs.

Because they're body BUILDERS.

What the fuck, man.

These guys are building their bodies up to be impenetrable, indestructible fortresses.
So it makes sense to choose them.

Strongmen? Oh great.... someone who can pry off the lid to the pickle jar after I already loosened it with my efforts, while the 'strongman' takes the praise.

A strongman is just trying to be strong. They're not building up their bodies to literally be mobile fortresses (think Metroplex from Transformers).
An indefatigable, merciless, supremely powerful MetroPlex.

You enjoy your pickle jar lid removers.... I'll take a bodybuilder ANY day over that.

To answer your question. No to bodybuilders and yes to strength athletes (powerlifters, olympic weightlifters and strongman) and yes to rugby/NFL players.

The problem with bodybuilders is that they train in a way that actually makes them worse athletes overall. They train for size and an aesthetic look.

Fuckin fake news, dude.

The ONLY problem with bodybuilders is that they have to put up with this kind of hogwash. They have to listen to straw-necked, paste lickers tell them how they're really not a mobile fortress of muscle and athleticism.

Listen, when I go down in my basement and bang out a quick 20 rep set with my 65lb dumbbells my arms feel so intense that I just start shadow boxing. And I can tell that my punches are tighter, crisper, and deadlier than if I was just some floundering and hapless power lifter or mma guy.

Justin Fortune was a powerlifter apparently and hits like a god damn truck.

Fuckin fake news, dude.

The ONLY problem with bodybuilders is that they have to put up with this kind of hogwash. They have to listen to straw-necked, paste lickers tell them how they're really not a mobile fortress of muscle and athleticism.

Listen, when I go down in my basement and bang out a quick 20 rep set with my 65lb dumbbells my arms feel so intense that I just start shadow boxing. And I can tell that my punches are tighter, crisper, and deadlier than if I was just some floundering and hapless power lifter or mma guy.

not-sure-if-trolling.jpg

Basketball players make the easiest transition to boxing.

Good footwork and they are very coordinated. I would not be suprised if soccer eas a great background too. Akeem was a soccer plater.

I think that bodybuilding makes it really hard to create linkages. The muscles are out of balance so some will be contracting more strongly for the same perceived effort. Just like how you can tell if someone who has weak hanstrings conpared to their quads by watching run. Inbalance screws up the linkages. I don't think you can balance the motion without during that motion.

I would be interested in knowing Roy Jones's training. That guy had huge biceps compared to his triceps. Maybe, he figured it out. Maybe, weights help hooking.

Back