Would US Sherdoggers Support A Mars Mission For 1.5 Trillion Dollars

I'm curious about space and exploration. But I also believe I priorities like fixing and investing in earth. I.e. renewable energy fixing global warming deep sea ocean exploration.

So trillion dollars to go into space at this point would not be a higher priority for me.

Why can't we invest that money into comet detection and destruction before it crashes into earth
a part of it is selfishness too, I will admit.
I wasn't alive when the moon was landed on and I'd like to see something like that.
I hope I can walk on the moon before I die.
I don't see why we don't have a moon hotel yet.

Yes can someone please explain this concept

It's one thing to get to Mars how will you feed people there

If we were to find a planet in the future rich in resources and capable of sustaining life, Mars would be a good colonizing test run.

True, but that will eventually all be discovered. What next? And why are you so anti space exploration?
You didn't read this thread otherwise you wouldn't say that

It's about priorities

I'm curious about space and exploration. But I also believe I priorities like fixing and investing in earth. I.e. renewable energy fixing global warming deep sea ocean exploration.

So trillion dollars to go into space at this point would not be a higher priority for me.

Why can't we invest that money into comet detection and destruction before it crashes into earth

I do not disagree that your goals are good goals. I just believe in the benefits of going to space, exploring the origins, pushing the boundaries.

The most visible legacy of the Apollo program comes from the pioneering brilliance of the NASA scientists and engineers who figured out how to successfully accomplish the then-unimaginable — in less than a decade.

Gomez is a physicist, and his enthusiastic explanation of the breakthrough technology used in Apollo missions is best offered to other scientists who have an ear for such detail. In short, the new and then-somewhat cumbersome technology involving "integrated circuits" was the beginning of conveniences we now take for granted.

"One concrete thing we live with every day is the technology we carry in our pockets — smart phones and tablets — and it has changed our entire culture, the way we relate to each other," Gomez said.

"I appreciate my cell phone very much, and chances are, if it weren't for the Apollo (technological breakthroughs), we would have (eventually) developed something like that," he said. "But it really helped jump-start an entire industry, and it is a result of the huge technology investment that went into developing the Apollo program that we have this."

Cline said it was not only the technology that came from the space program, but its rapid development due to President Kennedy's determination to put American astronauts on the moon within a decade.

"Most people understand the many technological advances that came from the U.S. space program and how they impact our daily lives: computer technology, cell phones, advanced networking, GPS, satellite communications and so forth," Cline said. "What the Apollo program did was to greatly accelerate the development of that technology.

"The goal of putting a man on the moon in less than 10 years compressed what might normally have been done in 20, 30 or even 40 years into less than a decade," Cline said. "And that formed the basis for the technological explosion in the '70s, '80s and '90s that is unprecedented in human history."

http://www.citizen-times.com/story/local/2014/07/17/legacies-apollo-years-moon-landing/12802617/

If we were to find a planet in the future rich in resources and capable of sustaining life, Mars would be a good colonizing test run.

That's true, but the issue with that is the planets we've discovered with the best shot at sustaining life are many, many light years away. Even if we could get to them, it would take millions of years for a space craft to reach them. Longer than humans have even been alive as a species.

Would push technology forward greatly and is a hell of a lot more beneficial than blowing hundreds of billions on the bloated military. Could be a joint project with all the global space agencies.

Fix home base before trying to colonize another. I think they would spend it on something else rather than wisely.
dumbest approach ever. The future of our species is in the expanses of space and exploration. There will always be problems on earth to "fix"...

Would push technology forward greatly and is a hell of a lot more beneficial than blowing hundreds of billions on the bloated military. Could be a joint project with all the global space agencies.
lotta wisdom here...you're probably old and have a sick long white beard.

im sorry, but i really want this to happen in my life time. i mean we are making a warp drive which would bring new benefits

I think energy generation and storage technology is more important at this point in time.

Although, I also think there are technologies that are being suppressed in this realm, so off to mars we go.

I think energy generation and storage technology is more important at this point in time.

Although, I also think there are technologies that are being suppressed in this realm, so off to mars we go.

lol well we could energy from space as well. So again this could be linked to space, a lot of our answers are in space.

when the asteroids come we just have to go into our underwater bunkers! genius
Let's move the entire planet based on less probable events with less probability of survival

I am not a US citizen, but I would definitely be in favour of my government contributing to a Mars mission. Space colonization is necessary to ensure humanity's long-term survival and I think a Mars mission would be a big step in the right direction.

I could support colonizing Mars. If we'd let a computer pick the best candidates with ratio of 10 women for each male our new Mars colony would be blossoming within a century.

Nothing boosting technological development like large state-driven projects.

Back