WWE WrestleMania 38 Night Two Live Discussion

Who should go over in the main event?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
WOW! Wasn't expecting Adam Cole to make an appearance

c89k647ezer81.jpg

Yeah, and that's why the last time he took a stunner should have been the last time he took a stunner.

That's why I, a huge Stone Cold fan, wasn't a big fan of the concept of his returning for one last match. Its cheap & hollow nostalgia. Apparently that's what WWE has to rely on, right?

BTW, I rewatched Austin's match from last night and my biggest issue with it wasn't KO having to go easy on Austin due to his compromised physicality, but that it wasn't the right Steve Austin.

It was the 'Steve Austin the Podcast host.' It wasn't even the Steve Austin that gave than passion-fueled promo with CM Punk to promote a WWE video game from 10 years ago.

'Stone Cold Steve Austin' didn't show up, the black-trunks, black vest, BMF-walking, and impassioned brawler we all knew and loved.

And it just came off as a 'Buy Steve Austin's beer' commercial.

It reminded me of the Triple-H/HBK/Kane/Undertaker match from a few years ago. Three of the four men clearly were shadows of their former selves.

Actually, scratch that last point, because at least those four legends went out there and tried to have an old school match. I really didn't see any effort Austin put into the match last night, aside the impressive suplex onto the concrete. He really didn't even put much effort into his facial expressions when he was buying&selling moves. There was no PASSION. It was 'I'm happy to be here. You're all happy I'm here. I don't have to put any effort into this whatsoever.'

Well shit, I said I wasn't going to give my thoughts on it, and I did it anyway. If you disagree, then I wish I had your POV on the match.

I saw an older Stone Cold on the first night, but I saw Stone Cold regardless, and still saw a Stone Cold who was able to control the crowd. Austin and Owens brawled around the arena and had the audience, hook, line and sinker, for the entirety of it. It was a basic fight, but aside from the mudhole stomps (which to me, always looked a bit hokey even during his prime, but at least the audience liked it), the match and the promo beforehand was still highly entertaining and engaging. Was it a technical marvel? No, but it still delivered, especially if you were one of the millions of Steve Austin fans around the world.

His appearance on the second night? Not a fan of him smiling all the way through it, and McMahon utterly fucked up his part of that stunner, but the audience loved it all the same. I'd rather have not seen him, and the McMahon/McAfee bit at all on the second night, to be honest. I don't think that it was at all necessary, as McAfee did very well to captivat the audience. The audience still liked the Austin bit though, so it is what it is.

Austin ignited and maintained passion throughout those two nights, and passion is what wrestling is all about. It's nice to have technically excellent matches, sure, but it's nothing without the crowd being ignited first.

I don't think that the Roman V Lesnar match was bad, just that Lesnar isn't enough of a face and I find Reigns to be capable, but bland character wise. There wasn't anything to engage in emotionally. Wrestling is supposed to be about getting people emotionally invested in someone and supporting them against the great evil. There was no real underdog in that match, and that's why it underdelivered.

McAfee was great, but I didn't see much in Theory. I didn't like the McMahon interjection at all and although Austin popped the roof off yet again, I don't like the entire thing overshadowing what McAfee had created.

I didn't care about the women's tag, or The New Day/Sheamus and Ridge, and I couldn't get through AJ V Edge.

For some reason, all the bullshit with Knoxville and Zayn just worked. I was entertained. Wee Man showing his midget strength popped me huge. Was like Cesaro and the Big Show.

Second night wasn't a disaster, but the first one was far better.

I didn't watch night 2, night 1 was enough, but I did wake up to a bloated, chubby, botox riddled Vince McMahon take the greatest stunner of all-time. Thank you Vince, you always bring the entertainment to me.

Yeah, and that's why the last time he took a stunner should have been the last time he took a stunner.

That's why I, a huge Stone Cold fan, wasn't a big fan of the concept of his returning for one last match. Its cheap & hollow nostalgia. Apparently that's what WWE has to rely on, right?

BTW, I rewatched Austin's match from last night and my biggest issue with it wasn't KO having to go easy on Austin due to his compromised physicality, but that it wasn't the right Steve Austin.

It was the 'Steve Austin the Podcast host.' It wasn't even the Steve Austin that gave than passion-fueled promo with CM Punk to promote a WWE video game from 10 years ago.

'Stone Cold Steve Austin' didn't show up, the black-trunks, black vest, BMF-walking, and impassioned brawler we all knew and loved.

And it just came off as a 'Buy Steve Austin's beer' commercial.

It reminded me of the Triple-H/HBK/Kane/Undertaker match from a few years ago. Three of the four men clearly were shadows of their former selves.

Actually, scratch that last point, because at least those four legends went out there and tried to have an old school match. I really didn't see any effort Austin put into the match last night, aside the impressive suplex onto the concrete. He really didn't even put much effort into his facial expressions when he was buying&selling moves. There was no PASSION. It was 'I'm happy to be here. You're all happy I'm here. I don't have to put any effort into this whatsoever.'

Well shit, I said I wasn't going to give my thoughts on it, and I did it anyway. If you disagree, then I wish I had your POV on the match.
I liked it for what it was but you're right about this not being 1998 Steve Austin. This was 2003 mostly comedy Sheriff Steve Austin with the four wheeler

Read the night 2 review and watched Vince botch the stunner.. seemed like there were maybe 2 matches worth having on night 2 and a lot of filler.

Imagine if Austin hadn’t come back then Ronda and Horsey would have mainevented one of the worst WMs ever.

Still waiting for Roman to have an amazing mania moment. Last year's match was nice but wasn't some epic thing. Every other face of the company has memorable mania moments/matches.... except roman

Still waiting for Roman to have an amazing mania moment. Last year's match was nice but wasn't some epic thing. Every other face of the company has memorable mania moments/matches.... except roman
Well it's tough when he's been forced into boring victories since 2015.

Getting pinned in the heist of the century is my memorable Roman moment

They're throwing out some zingers again today on Busted Open. LaGreca said since HHH jobbed at WM so many times, he was overall a very unselfish wrestler in this career. Then Bully Ray said it does not matter whatsoever whether you win or loss in pro wrestling, booking simply does not matter at all, never has, never will ...

Only watched rollins vs rhodes, austin segment, austin segment 2, brock vs our tribal chief and that was enough. Lol the rest can kiss my ass

Only watched rollins vs rhodes, austin segment, austin segment 2, brock vs our tribal chief and that was enough. Lol the rest can kiss my ass

Only great thing you missed was the other Austin. Theory / McAfee was match of the weekend.

Only great thing you missed was the other Austin. Theory / McAfee was match of the weekend.
Eww im okay missing it, i was fast fowarding to the main event when i saw vince so i backed it up when the match was over. The austin suprise was a treat. Glad i stopped.

Back