Television X-MEN '97 (First Official Trailer, post #292)

Do I need to rewatch the old stuff to start this? I saw some of the first episode while cooking. It didn’t seem like it started fresh

3rd episode was not as great as the first two episodes but it was still enjoyable.

What I didn't like was how rushed the story progressed and concluded. In the comics, we had "Inferno" to explain the Madelyne Pryor and her transformation. Here, it just felt too out of nowhere and forced.

Do I need to rewatch the old stuff to start this? I saw some of the first episode while cooking. It didn’t seem like it started fresh

Not really.

I never saw the last 2 seasons and had no problem with it. If you are familiar with the X-men just think as this taking place some time after the og series and you are good to go.

Your right but you can't get too deep with this stuff or none of it makes sense. Lets be real every time the hulk transforms we should be seeing his massive hog swinging across the screen as well but thankfully the writers have spared us that.
More like the writers ROBBED us of that.

I personally didn't like they way he used his beams to propel himself, like I get it's a force beam, so that kinda makes sense, but then how does he stop himself from being propelled when he's using it to blast people? (Also how does he not snap his neck using this "recoil" feature?)

A Wizard did it. ;)

Not really.

I never saw the last 2 seasons and had no problem with it. If you are familiar with the X-men just think as this taking place some time after the og series and you are good to go.
The new wolverine voice is throwing me off. I guess it's like nostalgia as a kid kicking in for me.

Really? Cmon, that's just lazy. I was guessing he was just immune.

Takes away her black window kinda flaw.
He uses an electro magnetic shield.
In the comics, there was an alternate timeline where Rogue and Magneto were married. Rogue absorbed Polaris' powers (Magneto's daughter) and she gained her powers permanently. Having those magnetic powers made it so her and Magneto's powers cancelled each other.

She is sometimes able to control when she activates the power. With Gambit, he has an energy field similar to Magneto, and Rogue can wear one of those collars that turn off her powers when she's getting her cheeks clapped.

How is this a clone of Jean Grey when she doesn't faint after the slightest exertion? lol

For those that don't get the joke...

Hopefully this won't be a trope repeated in '97, because in the comics Jean Grey is one of the more useful members of the team. In the OG series, she was minimally useful before she passes out... while moaning sexually.

I may have given the impression I put the OG series on a pedestal, but it did have several distinct flaws besides how the format and audience of the show required extensive storylines from the comics be summarized into one or two episodes, and censored for children.

Number of people stabbed by Wolverine in 78 episodes of the OG series : Zero.

Ok just watched the 3rd episode and holy shit that was good. As a very long term X-men fan annoyed by today's stuff I hope they can keep this up. That was great.

Third episode was fantastic. I'm watching the old ones over as well and this is about as good as you can get IMO. I think the animation looks great.

It's the same voice actor. They're even using the same studio as the original series:

He sounds somewhat different. Let me check old cartoons. Maybe I am confusing his voice with the capcom video games

Edit: I just double checked. It is different from the original. The new voice isn’t the same.

Last edited:
He sounds somewhat different. Let me check old cartoons. Maybe I am confusing his voice with the capcom video games

Edit: I just double checked. It is different from the original. The new voice isn’t the same.
Doesn't quite do the voice the same I agree, but it is the same exact voice actor.

Interesting fact about Forge, who made his '97 debut at the end of the 3rd episode with Storm.

I previously thought his only appearances in the OG series were in 'the future' with Bishop either sending him to the past or greeting when he returns from the past.

His younger self was present in the Season 3 episode immediately after The Dark Phoenix Saga, the lone appearance of Iceman when he, Cyclops, Wolverine, Beast, & Jubilee fight X-Factor.... which Forge is a member of.

It'd be interesting to learn see if X-Factor makes an appearance in '97, or if they've disbanded.

Additional interesting fact about the OG X-Men & Spider-man 90s series I recently learned - The animation was produced in Japan. Its difficult to tell the difference in Season 1&2, but with Season 3&4 the episode list went from 12 each season to 20, and there's a distinct change in the animation. Wouldn't say its an outright 'downgrade' but it definitely becomes more 'Japanese' especially with the palate of colors they chose.

What would be an interesting discussion is the possible change of the regular line-up of the X-Men.

*Xavier being away with Shi're Empire.
*Magneto is a temporary leader.
*Storm losing her powers, temporary.
*Bishop going back to the future. (Wasn't a regular member, and its still a question why he was back in the present anyway)

I like the concept of a rotating cast of temporary members that stick around for a while, serve a purpose, and moves on.

For a reminder of the regular members in the 90s comics -

R.f5d6dee857bf3a6845e9ded4a079ea90

*Iceman was only in 1 episode of the OG series, and it'd be interesting to see him return to the team for a while.
*Nightcrawler was only in 1 episode of the OG series, and had never been a member of the X-Men.
*Collossus was in 2 episodes. Never a member of the X-Men.
*Psylocke was in only a few episodes of Season 4, which I consider to be the series finales. She was merely a side-character, unfortunately.
*Archangel made several appearances throughout the entirety of the OG series. Never a regular member.

Perhaps Morph changing into Archangel, Collossus, & Psylocke were just cameos.

As for excuses for regular member absences, a famous arc for Wolverine in the 90s was when his adamantium was stripped out of his body... extremely painfully. He had perhaps one of the most interesting arcs for how he adapted to live without it.

I'd be fine with any excuse for Jubilee to have a long absence from the show.

Anyway, this is just me spitballing thoughts.

Back