You kids seem confused, Usman and Colby best WWs ever and they would destroy GSP under today's rules

The old hardcore true fans of the sport who are not casuals will never accept that all sports evolve and competitors today would whoop the competitors of a decade ago. Neil Magny and Abubakar Nurmagomedov would probably be top 5 title contenders back in GSP era
It makes 0 sense to. The elite back then would still be elite. Especially in mma “ specifically ufc”considering we aren’t talking that long ago. Elite fighters are special for their time and that shit will always translate. GSP probably pioneered a lot of shit he doesn’t get credit for. Specifically normalizing cross training in not just aspects of martial arts with some of the best camps but also movement sports such as gymnastics at a high level. If you dropped that fighter into today he would learn any technique and master any new theory and rule set as he did then. He would still be among the elite. A lot of elite fighters of today wouldn’t be where they are without the GSPs of yesterday. When talking about the best of any era they would still be among the best of your precious era ou grew up in. It’s people’s own biases that cloud their judgment in these arguments.

Submission game Usman has a better win with Burns under his belt who is a BJJ world champion.
Uh

“MY GREATEST MOMENT IN MY WHOLE CAREER IS WHEN I BECAME THE FIRST NON-BRAZILIAN TO WIN THE BRAZILIAN JIU-JITSU WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP,”
-BJ Penn

I don’t think people understand how great BJ Penn was because of the weird stuff he did at the end of his career and him getting flatlined by a fat guy when he was drunk af.

The old hardcore true fans of the sport who are not casuals will never accept that all sports evolve and competitors today would whoop the competitors of a decade ago. Neil Magny and Abubakar Nurmagomedov would probably be top 5 title contenders back in GSP era

There is little or no difference in the overall skill level now vs a decade ago. In fact some divisions were stronger a decade ago.

MMAs evolution was rapid in the 90s, then the 00s it was the talent pool getting deeper, fighters starting to resemble serious full time pro athletes more and more until it became the standard, guys getting more athletic and fluid in mixing things up etc etc until that became the standard. By the end of that decade the MMA skillset had already been basically refined to its maximum potential.

Neil magny was in the ufc losing to scrubs during GSP's reign lol

This evolution is literally the most overrated bullshit I've heard on sherdog. What evolution? GSP is literally more well rounded than Usman, Colby and Leon

Dude was 1-2 in the UFC around the time of GSP's last fight before leaving for 4 years. Please tell me more about that evolution!

Last edited:
Colby is awful, can't finish anyone and has a really crap resume, his best win was a decision against old RDA many many many years ago, Colby has barely beat any top 20 fighters. Has no KO ability, no submission ability.. he is just crap. One of the most overhyped fighters ever. GSP resume is on a different universe.

Colby's career will never be remembered in 10 years time, all everyone will remember is what a vile low class human he is with no dignity.

You're talking with delusional hardcore fans. They will never admit fighting field is filled with bigger and more athletic competition.

How do you think Shields would have done?
Jake Shields is a hard one... he is a better grappler than either Colby or Usman... but could he take it down? I want to guess no.... and his striking was bad but it always actually seemed to work... good question lol Jake Shields is also one of those guys I find extremely hard to rank all time... he has so many great wins ... but watching him fight was painful sometimes... the dude tapped out Robbie Lawler, beat Dan Henderson and Yushin Okami.... then arguably lost to Martin Kampmann...

You're talking with delusional hardcore fans. They will never admit fighting field is filled with bigger and more athletic competition.
They aren't bigger or more athletic... do you have eyes? Kumaru Usman moves like a robot and Colby has no muscle

Jake Shields is a hard one... he is a better grappler than either Colby or Usman... but could he take it down? I want to guess no.... and his striking was bad but it always actually seemed to work... good question lol Jake Shields is also one of those guys I find extremely hard to rank all time... he has so many great wins ... but watching him fight was painful sometimes... the dude tapped out Robbie Lawler, beat Dan Henderson and Yushin Okami.... then arguably lost to Martin Kampmann...

Shields "win" over Okami was way more controversial than vs Kampann.
Even the American audience in attendance booed the decision in favour of the American fighter
Kampmann was very good and underrated btw

I don't think GSP could handle colby's pressure, at least, we do not know if he could because we never saw him face anyone like colby in the cage.
It would look like Colby vs Leon, except Colby more busted up from jabs to the nose

Another debate brought this up when someone dared to say Merab had fought someone as good as colby. Merab's BEST fight just happened... vs a 37 year old cejudo who took 3 years off in his prime. Stop cappin as you kids like to say. Now none of that is merab's fault but it doesn't change the facts.

Now could GSP win, of course, but anyone who thinks GSP is better than Usman or Colby is biased. I love GSP too, the MMA rules back then were hilarious. You could get your ass kicked for an entire round, land one takedown, and you win the round. I made some good money betting back then because of that. The oddsmakers had no idea what they were doing and the mma rules were trash tho a lot more predictable than today in good and bad ways.

But, if you think GSP ever fought anyone as good as Usman or Colby then go ahead and post that name here. I'd love to hear about this mystery fight that is not on GSP's record...there is not a single name on there even close to the animals usman and colby still are even just outside their prime maybe.

Be real with yourself here.

Lmfao...belt checks out

Size difference is too big for GSP today. GSP is more suited for Volk. I would love to see that.

GSP ate fighters like Colby for lunch.

Prime Usman is a tough fight but I think GSP has much better fundamental boxing and I'd assume the wrestling would cancel eachother out. It might end up looking like the Hendricks fight.

Leon might be his toughest matchup. He seems to have very underrated wrestling and is one of the best strikers WW division has ever had. But it's tough doubting GSP, I have a feeling he would be able to put him on his back.

Back