You sir, are no Carnal Salvation...

Thanks, this helps. The lab result says:
Free Testosterone(Direct)
High

My doc is VERY easy going, but it would be a bridge too far for him.

if those measurements are in nanomoles and not nanograms, if so then that’s in the middle of normal.

Low would be 13 or less, although I also read 10 is normal, but would guess that range was regardless of age.

You can probably find an online clinic that would prescribe HRT/TRT as a means of anti-aging. Seems like US has a fair number of those.

if those measurements are in nanomoles and not nanograms, if so then that’s in the middle of normal.

Low would be 13 or less, although I also read 10 is normal, but would guess that range was regardless of age.

You can probably find an online clinic that would prescribe HRT/TRT as a means of anti-aging. Seems like US has a fair number of those.

Thanks! I made an appointment with my doc to talk it over.

Dec 18 Sun

TRAIL HIKE with hills

About 40 minutes with 3 big cardio zone hills.

Guys, In terms of working out, I'm just trying to make it through the holiday and end of the year in one piece.

Last edited:
Since the last post:

Hike x 6
Judo x 1

One of my instructors told me it's time to consider going for shodan (black belt) promotion at the end of the year.
This is the first time it's been explicitly stated.
The unspoken message was:
It's time to stop dicking around. Time to shit or get off the pot.
A judo class here or there, hiking, and a little hot yoga isn't going to cut it. Not even close.
Go for it, and the belt is possible within a year.

Feb 17, Friday

Immediately:
Up Judo class attendance. BJJ also. Start Nage No Kata training per instructor.
Put down the beer and shitty, fatty, greasy food. Get back on the sports nutrition diet.
Start upping the intensity of hikes: steeper, longer, burn the lungs, kill the legs.
Attend Hot Yoga but never in place of Judo, BJJ, or cardio training.
Begin weight training in some capacity.

As the year progresses:
Increase class attendance as recovery allows.
If there are decent old guy divisions (preferably 55+, but I'd go as low as 45+), compete in two Judo tournaments. Consider a BJJ tournament.
Travel occasionally to Phoenix Dojos for additional training (randori with different people) and consider attending a camp.
Get down to a walk-around weight of 175 lbs.

Last edited:
Feb 18, Sat

TRAIL RUN

Lime Kiln, 4 miles
Felt better than I thought it would, but I was still moving pretty damn slow. This trail is one of my markers for progress. When I can briskly run the whole thing, feeling light and fleet-footed, I'll know my cardio has gotten pretty decent.

This week's planned schedule:
Sun: Hot Yoga
Mon: Hill Training
Tues: Hot Yoga
Weds: BJJ
Thurs: I usually would drive up to Judo in Flagstaff, but a robust winter weather system is forecast, and you don't want to be on I-17 in shitty weather at night.
Fri: Judo, instructors garage gym, local. Starting Nage No Kata training.
Sat: Monster hike

Since the last post:

Hike x 6
Judo x 1

One of my instructors told me it's time to consider going for shodan (black belt) promotion at the end of the year.
This is the first time it's been explicitly stated.
The unspoken message was:
It's time to stop dicking around. Time to shit or get off the pot.
A judo class here or there, hiking, and a little hot yoga isn't going to cut it. Not even close.
Go for it, and the belt is possible within a year.

Awesome bro, get after that shodan. As a fellow old guy and forever Judo brown, shodan is on my bucket list too but it's not going to happen at my current gym where everyone is a BJJ/MMA guy. Judo and BJJ are the same damn martial art but you rarely find guys who train both. It's pretty great that you're doing that.

Awesome bro, get after that shodan. As a fellow old guy and forever Judo brown, shodan is on my bucket list too but it's not going to happen at my current gym where everyone is a BJJ/MMA guy. Judo and BJJ are the same damn martial art but you rarely find guys who train both. It's pretty great that you're doing that.

Thank you fellow Judo brethren! I've lived in a smallish town without Judo for a long time, the nearest club being an hour away, so I feel your pain.
2023 is going to put a lot of miles on my car!

Back