You sir, are no Carnal Salvation...

Feb 20th, Monday

HILL DAY

5 hills. Huffing and puffing There was no running going on; I just trudged up, then back down, and repeated. Another marker, in that, being able to run up five times will mean I've probably reached a pretty good cardio level.

Diet / Nutrition Plan

2200-2300 cals
210g carbs
87g fat
170g protein
40g fiber

Supplements include things like Vitamin D, creatine, nitric oxide, protein powder, caffeine, tart cherry, magnesium, and electrolytes.
Shooting for protein, carbs, and fat with every meal.
3 meals a day with 2-3 snacks.
Nothing really off limits, most things in moderation, lean meats preferable.

Three goals of diet:
1. Lose fat
2. Maintain muscle mass
3. Support training at an optimal level

Feb 21, Tuesday

HOT YOGA

Extra hot room tonight, and the instructor pushed us hard.
I go through about 32 ounces of water with one stick of Liquid I.V. in it.
In the book ENDURE, the author cites a study that shows the colder the hydration in a hot environment, the better the physical and cognitive performance. It seems obvious. So I sometimes add ice cubes to my water bottle.
Sweat pours off you. I have a hot yoga-specific mat (as does most of the class) that absorbs the sweat, so you're not slipping all over the place.
There's a wide variety of people, but it's usually an 80:20 female-to-male ratio. BJJ guys occasionally show up.
It's not as smelly as you might think, though now and then, you end up next to a ripe, off-grid bohemian type, and you have to gut it out.

Last edited:
Feb 25, Sat

6 MILE HIKE

Sedona. I went with a friend who was dragging ass, so it wasn't really the kind of workout hike I was looking for.
Regardless, a slow hike is better than no hike.

Recap of the week: met most goals, although both Judo classes got canceled because of snow.
I replaced one of the classes with Hot Yoga and turned the other into a needed rest day.

It's looking like Judo might get snowed out next week also, but we'll see.
Here's what I'm planning:

Sun: Rest
Mon: Hill work
Tues: Hot Yoga
Weds: BJJ
Tues: Judo
Fri: Strength & Conditioning
Sat: Lung searing, leg shaking hike.

Should be upping the Judo and BJJ in the next few weeks.

Feb 27, Mon.

HILL WORK

5 hills.
1.75 mi (2.8k) total
41:05 mins
Max heart rate hit 156 a couple of times, which is about normal for a guy my age. But I'm curious how high I can push it. I was gasping for air and barely hanging on at 156. :( Resting heart rate is about 68 these days. I know I can get that down.
Overall though, this hill day was noticeably better than last week's.

The workout schedule is kind of falling apart this week due to inclement weather impeding travel to the high country, my hot yoga instructor going into surgery, and a neighbor I owed a favor to needing an unexpected ride that took the whole evening yesterday. I'll try to cram everything into the next 3 days for the week.

And, even though I mentioned firing up the Judo training, it looks like I can't really get going again until the 21st or 23rd of March, since spring break is next week and it's a college club. I'll try to up the BJJ for now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back