Movies Your most depressing movie

Requiem For A Dream
Chained
Grave Of The Fireflies
The Pianist
Jacobs Ladder
Kids
Basketball Diaries

Grave of the Fireflies... no one else comes close. Not even Hachiko, and other dog movies that used to be in my #1 spot.

Every time I see a picture related to this movie, the depression starts to hit me again

fireflies_5-1280x600.jpg

This. Grave of the Fireflies is the saddest damn movie ever. You keep watching and thinking the kids will eventually catch a break because it’s a cartoon right? Wrong. Seriously fuck this movie I'm getting depressed just thinking about it.

Last edited:
UP (Just for that one scene)
Come and See
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928)

Outside of UP, all of those are cold, dark and hopeless movies and I love them.

Dancer in the dark is the most depressing thing I've ever seen.

Sling Blade is both depressing and heartwarming, happy and sad. Both to incredible degrees.

I'm not all religious but passion of the Christ was pretty damn depressing
That movie was the worst piece of shit I've ever seen. Just creepy. And I say that knowing the star of the film.

Your list in the OP was solid, though.

Visitor Q was a bit messed up from what I remember.

Change my vote from leaving las vegas to Mandy. What an artsy piece of crap movie. My gosh, how did this get good reviews? One of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Did anyone mention Jojo Rabbit?

I fucking lost it during the shoes scene. Done.

Titanic. Seriously. The second half just makes me think about what the actual people went through during the sinking and the helpless, hopeless feeling so many had. Just such a fucking tragedy. Then after the movie I think about how fucked up the survivors had to have been. Especially back then when I imagine they’d not get the proper therapy to help with their issues.

Lots of stuff with Blue in the title....

Betty Blue
Three Colours Blue
Blue is the Warmest Colour

Although I wouldnt view those films as "depressing" or even something like A Short Film About Killing, their sad but made in an emphatic way.

Depressing films would probably be something like Dogtooth or Hard To Be a God although even that I think is made to allow you to empathise somewhat with the characters.

Last edited:
Back