Your team can lift you off the ground and help you to the stool?

You haven't seen many fights if you've never seen a guy with potential vision problems get thoroughly examined by the ring doc and the ref between rounds.

Right but in this case Ortega wasn't even answering their questions he was do out of it. In the end he's just mumbled I'm fine and they let him fight again after all that

Yep, the doctor and referee gave Ortega like an additional 2 minutes to recover.. it was terrible.
That was business as usual, the weird thing, im not sure who he was...there was a guy talking to Ortega in spanish during those Ref/fighter interactions, like, why? Ortega's first language is English.

Right but in this case Ortega wasn't even answering their questions he was do out of it. In the end he's just mumbled I'm fine and they let him fight again after all that
See above, i think it was a case of being stunned, the crowd and the guy talking with him in spanish with Herb talking in English.

You haven't seen many fights if you've never seen a guy with potential vision problems get thoroughly examined by the ring doc and the ref between rounds.

Did you watch what happened? They didn't check him and move on, they sat there fumbling over how he failed every test and couldn't decide on what to do.

Ortega was the marketing favorite in this fight. Herb Dean was the ref in this fight. They certainly don't put Dean there for his "ref skills" lol. Same as with Conor fights, O'Malley fights, etc. Herb is the only guy that refs those fights it seems. The corruption is so transparent it hurts.

I think Herb should just graduate and call fights for the favored guy before any strikes land in the 1st 10 seconds. That's the only way he could make it even more obvious, and I'm betting a chunk of Sherdog would defend even that.

Herb being extremely corrupt / fixing fights aside though... amazing amazing fight that made me forget about how corrupt Herb is if for only a few minutes.
100% agree.
It’s gotten so blatantly bias it’s pretty hard to overlook. The obvious favoritism is there and it’s gross to watch.

Dude, there was so much fucking wacky shit going on in Ortega's favor it was bizarre. Not only that, but the doctor didn't know whether to let him fight after that brutal round so Herb stepped in and tried to do the doctors job and not only could Ortega NOT answer any of the questions right, he could barely stand up straight and was looking all over the place. Volkanovski deserved to have that fight either end right there or they should have got things going right away so that he had a fair chance to follow up on his work in the previous round. That's bullshit how you can whip on a guy like that and the doctor and ref wait until the last second to check on him and drag out how much more time he has left to recover, which is unfair to Volkanovski. Honestly, just incompetence all around.
I was saying very similar thoughts last night. The doctor needs to check him out while he’s being worked on in the corner. You don’t get rewarded for being hurt. If he can’t continue, then fine, stop the fight. I’m not upset with the prioritization of fighter safety, I’m upset with the incompetence and the lack of foresight. The guy got his head pushed through the canvas. The doctor should be in the ring immediately. Not minutes after the round ended.

Ortega got extra time to recover after multiple rounds, it was ridiculous. He milked it too, not giving straightforward answers so the conversation would continue rather than just immediately saying he was good to go. That shit should be happening during the break if it needs to happen, not after a minute has gone by and they should already be back to fighting. The extra rest allowed him to stay in there.

Dude, there was so much fucking wacky shit going on in Ortega's favor it was bizarre. Not only that, but the doctor didn't know whether to let him fight after that brutal round so Herb stepped in and tried to do the doctors job and not only could Ortega NOT answer any of the questions right, he could barely stand up straight and was looking all over the place. Volkanovski deserved to have that fight either end right there or they should have got things going right away so that he had a fair chance to follow up on his work in the previous round. That's bullshit how you can whip on a guy like that and the doctor and ref wait until the last second to check on him and drag out how much more time he has left to recover, which is unfair to Volkanovski. Honestly, just incompetence all around.
Lmao that shit was funny.

Herbs like “how many fingers?” Puts up 1 finger

ortega.. waits a few seconds... “ 2!!..... uh 1!!!!” Herb walks away and fight starts.

Boxing teams are much more mindful of their fighters. Ortega should not have been allowed to continue after that disastrous ending to the 3rd. Luckily Volk eventually tired from beating on him non-stop.

This, Volkanaski noticed this too and commented that the officials just waited until Ortega answered right lmao. Ortega got like 2 extra minutes recover

The commentary was so goddamn bias too. Its all too obvious everyone wanted Ortega to win, especially the UFC

Last edited:
At the end of round 3.. Ortega was lying on the canvas, his corner then picked him up and helped him back on to the stool. I think that should of been ruled a TKO. If a fighter is unable to continue at any moment in the fight, the fight should be called off. This includes in between rounds.

Had he not been able to pick himself back up, there's a good chance the ref would of called the fight off. So his team assisting him back on to the stool influenced the refs decision.

As per unified rules:
Interference from a mixed martial artist’s corner or seconds; a. Interference is defined as any action or activity aimed at disrupting the fight or causing an unfair advantage to be given to a corner’s combatant. Corners are not allowed to distract the referee or influence the actions of the referee in any fashion.
Agreed

One could say Herb broke the rules aswell and helped Ortega deliberately with those mini pauses so he could survive.

All and all... it ended up being a banger and Volk won like a champ anyway so quit ur whining

Not incompetence, just corruption. Dean is Dana’s guy and “gets it” if you catch my drift. Not deliberate fixing but influencing the fight to keep it entertaining

I'm not sure that's influencing the actions of the ref, particularly if they are allowed to tend to their fighter between rounds.

It's probably within the rules, and will stay that way unless the rules are changed to describe that the cornermen are only allowed in a certain physical space in the cage (e.g. only allowed to stay in the corner) or unless the types of help they can/cant provide are specified.

IMO if a fighter can't get to the corner it should be a TKO, I'm just not convinced that's what the rules say.

Not incompetence, just corruption. Dean is Dana’s guy and “gets it” if you catch my drift. Not deliberate fixing but influencing the fight to keep it entertaining
just another reason why corners need to be more liberal with throwing in the towel

All and all... it ended up being a banger and Volk won like a champ anyway so quit ur whining

No, this is a serious issue and it needs to be looked at because it can possibly affect outcomes of fights. Giving a Ortega alot of extra time even though he kept answering wrong is ridiculous. They literally waited until he answered right. Ffs they even brought in a translator asking in Spanish even though Ortega is fluent in English lol.

Even worse, Ortegas Corner literally peeled him off the ground at the end of a round…..
If a guy cant stand on his own, it should be done obviously.

Alot of shady stuff went down in this fight

That was business as usual, the weird thing, im not sure who he was...there was a guy talking to Ortega in spanish during those Ref/fighter interactions, like, why? Ortega's first language is English.

See above, i think it was a case of being stunned, the crowd and the guy talking with him in spanish with Herb talking in English.
Lol yeah, I was like why does he need a translator

Yeah.. it was a TKO win for Volkanovski.

I'm not mad because I had money on the fight going to decision and also I didn't mind Ortega getting beaten even more.

Back