Your team can lift you off the ground and help you to the stool?

As per unified rules:
Interference from a mixed martial artist’s corner or seconds; a. Interference is defined as any action or activity aimed at disrupting the fight or causing an unfair advantage to be given to a corner’s combatant. Corners are not allowed to distract the referee or influence the actions of the referee in any fashion.

How the fuck does that apply to what happen? They didn't disrupt a fight because it was between rounds, and they didn't distract or influence the actions of a referee.

There have been a million fighters helped to their corner in some degree. If a cornerman wants to carry their fighter to the corner to save them energy or something, who cares?

This is at least the second thread about this but no there is no rule against this. It’s questionable and maybe it should be in the rules, but it currently is not against the rules

That was business as usual, the weird thing, im not sure who he was...there was a guy talking to Ortega in spanish during those Ref/fighter interactions, like, why? Ortega's first language is English.

See above, i think it was a case of being stunned, the crowd and the guy talking with him in spanish with Herb talking in English.

Ye, legit think the guy speaking Spanish was a cornerman of his, was not the Dr and that is super weird, as, I've never seen anyone from their corner get to stay and ask additional questions

Read some replies, and people say translator. That is super weird.

To be fair ... Ortega got eye poked multiple times and headbutt twice.

Herb Dean did nothing about those either except a do nothing "warning" to Volk. He is the worst and most horrible ref overall and somehow gets nearly all the main events.

Did you watch what happened? They didn't check him and move on, they sat there fumbling over how he failed every test and couldn't decide on what to do.

Again, you haven't seen many fights if you think these types of in-fight exams are always clean and quick.

The rules are liberally applied in main events since forever. You're not wrong.

There's a lot of examples of these.

I think if Vitor and Randy's eyelid cut happened tomorrow it'd be fight on.

I may be wrong but didn't Herb asked him something in english and Ortega answered in spanish?

And that guy translated it for Herb.
I had to rewatched it because it was weird.
I think that just caused confusion and made it look worst than what it was for Ortega, cause the guy's Spanish wasnt perfect either, just like Ortega, 2 mexican-americans talking in spanish with a ref that only knows English.

In a more calm scene you can see that in the embedded show when Ortega is playing like an interview with his GF, who also speaks spanish but as a spanish native you can tell its not their first language.

Herb doing what he's paid extra to do as usual. Does the same with Conor and did the same with Ronda.

Dude, there was so much fucking wacky shit going on in Ortega's favor it was bizarre. Not only that, but the doctor didn't know whether to let him fight after that brutal round so Herb stepped in and tried to do the doctors job and not only could Ortega NOT answer any of the questions right, he could barely stand up straight and was looking all over the place. Volkanovski deserved to have that fight either end right there or they should have got things going right away so that he had a fair chance to follow up on his work in the previous round. That's bullshit how you can whip on a guy like that and the doctor and ref wait until the last second to check on him and drag out how much more time he has left to recover, which is unfair to Volkanovski. Honestly, just incompetence all around.

I agree, but to play devils advocate, maybe he was resting and could have gotten up had herb said "get up or im stopping it"

Maybe he thought he was allowed to rest like that.

Personally, i thought he was completely fucked up and it should have been stopped.

Yep, the doctor and referee gave Ortega like an additional 2 minutes to recover.. it was terrible.
I actually timed it earlier today and the gap between buzzer going at end of round 3 and then start of round 4 was 2mins7secs.

So ortega got over a minute extra.

Herb Dean was the ref. He seemed intent on helping Ortega as much as possible.

Herb's consistently involved in almost every mishap like this. Kind of weird

Some of you weirdos just look for the smallest dumbest things to bitch and cry about

Literally trying your hardest to find something to complain about

Ortega looked unwilling/unsure as to even try and answer the questions, and with long pauses and turning his head in all directions. They spent 2 minutes with him until deciding he was clear. Ortega barely even looked like he wanted to continue. Combine that with him being firmly planted on his back until being airlifted by his corner, he shouldn't have been cleared.

Even my GF who had 200 to win from an Ortega parlay said the fight should have been stopped at the end of the third.

This fight sealed it for me that Herb Dean's referring has become unacceptable.

He gave Ortega so much time between rounds to recover while farting around inefficiently with the ringside doctor

Herb Dean giving Ortega extra time between rounds was the only BS I saw. He even tried it again after round 4 and then Volk started rightly complaining. Absolute incompetence.

Dude, there was so much fucking wacky shit going on in Ortega's favor it was bizarre. Not only that, but the doctor didn't know whether to let him fight after that brutal round so Herb stepped in and tried to do the doctors job and not only could Ortega NOT answer any of the questions right, he could barely stand up straight and was looking all over the place. Volkanovski deserved to have that fight either end right there or they should have got things going right away so that he had a fair chance to follow up on his work in the previous round. That's bullshit how you can whip on a guy like that and the doctor and ref wait until the last second to check on him and drag out how much more time he has left to recover, which is unfair to Volkanovski. Honestly, just incompetence all around.

Herb and the doctor knew Ortega was just Aljoing his way out, and they were having none of that shite, so they sent him back there to get the rest of the half-finished and well-deserved ass whooping.

Seriously now, when that situation occurred, I wondered if the doctor that stopped Diaz vs Masvidal (Dr. Nitin K. Sethi) still doing fights for the UFC? Right or wrong, I kind of respect his decision, as not every doctor would stop the BMF title fight because he didn't want to compromise a fighter.
In this case, all is good, and Ortega will live another day, but this is the kind of thing that might get someone killed in the octagon. In boxing, towels are thrown, fights stop at the stool, and referees stop semi-lucid-standing-up-fighters mid combat, yet here it's only good when they are almost beaten to a pulp.
Then again, this is a sport where the tide can turn very quickly, and the lust for blood/violence is high...

Back