How do YOU guys deadlift..

BornPure87

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
..and how much?

It'd be interesting, and fun at the same time, to see the stats on here. Would be swell if everyone who'd like to show (off) their prowess to do it in the following format. Here's mine:

Body weight: 183 lbs (83 kg)
Height: 6'2" (188 cm)
MAX lifted (4 reps): 250 lbs (113 kg)
MAX lifted (1 rep): --haven't tried--

I'm a rookie when it comes to the exercise as I'm doing it on/off for a couple of months now. Also, what technique do you incorporate? What would be the optimal amount for me to deadlift as it's mostly recreational. I've read the "Dead Zone" by Dave Tate (awesome stuff), and I'm trying to work my way up.

Here's a GIF on my technique:

deadlift-gif-side.gif

Another thing; today one of the gym instructors approached me and said: "You need to go all the way down in full-squat, and then lift the weight up." He basically wanted me to do an Olympic deadlift. He insisted that the way I was doing it was bad, and didn't like my shoulders being slightly over the bar. Your thoughts?

Don't be shy, homie(s)!

..and how much?

It'd be interesting, and fun at the same time, to see the stats on here. Would be swell if everyone who'd like to show (off) their prowess to do it in the following format. Here's mine:

Body weight: 183 lbs (83 kg)
Height: 6'2" (188 cm)
MAX lifted (4 reps): 250 lbs (113 kg)
MAX lifted (1 rep): --haven't tried--

I'm a rookie when it comes to the exercise as I'm doing it on/off for a couple of months now. Also, what technique do you incorporate? What would be the optimal amount for me to deadlift as it's mostly recreational. I've read the "Dead Zone" by Dave Tate (awesome stuff), and I'm trying to work my way up.

Here's a GIF on my technique:

deadlift-gif-side.gif

Another thing; today one of the gym instructors approached me and said: "You need to go all the way down in full-squat, and then lift the weight up." He basically wanted me to do an Olympic deadlift. He insisted that the way I was doing it was bad, and didn't like my shoulders being slightly over the bar. Your thoughts?

Don't be shy, homie(s)!

Just wanted to say that instructor has no idea what he's talking about, and is completely wrong. Since I'm posting, my best was 370@166 lbs, until SI dysfunction struck.

""Another thing; today one of the gym instructors approached me and said: "You need to go all the way down in full-squat, and then lift the weight up." He basically wanted me to do an Olympic deadlift. He insisted that the way I was doing it was bad, and didn't like my shoulders being slightly over the bar. Your thoughts?""

That is very common deadlifting advice among people who do not know how to properly deadlift.

Just wanted to say that instructor has no idea what he's talking about, and is completely wrong. Since I'm posting, my best was 370@166 lbs, until SI dysfunction struck.

I did have my doubts about him; he also wanted to discourage me of lifting the amount I was, and said it was too much. Best course is as you said to strike those remarks out.

I wish I get to reach that, thanks for sharing!
Sorry to hear that, is it treatable? Godspeed!

""Another thing; today one of the gym instructors approached me and said: "You need to go all the way down in full-squat, and then lift the weight up." He basically wanted me to do an Olympic deadlift. He insisted that the way I was doing it was bad, and didn't like my shoulders being slightly over the bar. Your thoughts?""

That is very common deadlifting advice among people who do not know how to properly deadlift.

Indeed. Seems quite prevalent. :)

Are you lifting pain free? Are your numbers going up? If yes to both, you dont need to be particularly finicky about anything, just keep truckin

You should explain to the trainer how he is completely wrong. Reference the entire sport of powerlifting as an example, as well as the Dave Tate instructional.

Tate actually has an anecdote where HE was doing "light" deadlifts for high reps with 500lbs at a random gym. He was travelling so he just popped in somewhere random. The local instructor told him he was doing it wrong. I think he held a world record at the time, or maybe an American record.

Did you fix your si joint issues? If so, what did you do?

I've been having SI joint problems off and on for over a year now.

Are you lifting pain free? Are your numbers going up? If yes to both, you dont need to be particularly finicky about anything, just keep truckin

I'm not as crisp/fast when I do my max as opposed to 180 lbs. I've noticed that my lat ached after the workout (holding the bar with mix-grip), but I should probably start utilizing a belt as well - is this an indicator that my back is not arched enough? What accessory exercise do you do for glutes/hamstrings?

You should explain to the trainer how he is completely wrong. Reference the entire sport of powerlifting as an example, as well as the Dave Tate instructional.

Tate actually has an anecdote where HE was doing "light" deadlifts for high reps with 500lbs at a random gym. He was travelling so he just popped in somewhere random. The local instructor told him he was doing it wrong. I think he held a world record at the time, or maybe an American record.

That's funny, didn't know that :)
I wonder how Dave must have smiled inside after being told that.

As for the gym instructor, I did actually ask him about Dave Tate (snuck in a litmus test, was curious); he vehemently shook his head and said he never heard of him and continued bashing my posture.

Did you fix your si joint issues? If so, what did you do?

I've been having SI joint problems off and on for over a year now.

Speedy recovery to you two! Had to wikipedia that stuff, very hard to detect apparently.

Conventional. Just pulled 340lbs at 220lbs tonight. I think that is my max. My form sucks and my grip has been the limiting factor since I started.

Conventional. Just pulled 340lbs at 220lbs tonight. I think that is my max. My form sucks and my grip has been the limiting factor since I started.

My form is nothing to be proud of either; but that's a good number.
The weight I'm aiming to reach, eventually, is 400 lbs. It might take a year or two to get there, but I'm fairly certain I need to hit more lower back/glute/ham exercises, as it feels, at the moment, like I've hit my limit.

Sumo. 160kgs @ 68kgs bodyweight, and it's currently going up.

Hips as high as possible, hips as close to the bar as possible for sumo dead, as long as you can keep a rigid back (rigid as opposed to extended)

Sumo. 160kgs @ 68kgs bodyweight, and it's currently going up.

Hips as high as possible, hips as close to the bar as possible for sumo dead, as long as you can keep a rigid back (rigid as opposed to extended)

Haven't tried sumo lift at all. I'd need to read and watch proper technique for that, but the movement itself I'm familiar with. That's an amazing figure for your BW. And if you're improving, hespect!

Sumo. 515lbs at 185lbs bodyweight. I just found out the record in my area is 610lbs. I think I might get a shot one day.

Sumo. 515lbs at 185lbs bodyweight. I just found out the record in my area is 610lbs. I think I might get a shot one day.

That's fuckin' impressive, it'll be a big milestone if/when I hit 400 lbs. But you sure got some hips on you! Good luck breaking that record :icon_chee

Pull sumo. All-time PR is 215kg at about 80kg bodyweight. Currently probably 190-200ish, but not sure either way. I've pulled 200kg conventional as well, but sumo suits me better.

I only do RDL.

If I had to pick an exercise I do seldom, that would be the one.

Pull sumo. All-time PR is 215kg at about 80kg bodyweight. Currently probably 190-200ish, but not sure either way. I've pulled 200kg conventional as well, but sumo suits me better.

Why exactly does it suit you better? I'm interested to know since I might switch it up.

That's a great personal best. Are you working your way up again, or did you decide to stay in that range? That's pretty close to passing the 500 lbs mark.

200kg, conventional, weighing 82kg at the time.

If you're talking about going for an APU record, don't put it off. It'll only get harder - while the current 83kg and 93kg record holders aren't competing at this time, I'm pretty sure they'll be broken soon.

Yes I was talking about the APU 83kg record. Guess I should get working then!

Back