• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What's goin' down at Tocco's (video):

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dig it, but I don't feel nearly as proud as John does, his trainer.

It does speak well about Tocco's, though, which is always good. Now Floyd himself knows he can get quality work out of here. Another kid John trains, Chris Harris, silenced that Gym the other day by giving some kid Hell. I'll feel proud if the re-match comes off and I can get Daijon in there. It's already pretty solidified, but I'll feel pretty awesome if it actually comes to pass.

I dig it, but I don't feel nearly as proud as John does, his trainer.

It does speak well about Tocco's, though, which is always good. Now Floyd himself knows he can get quality work out of here. Another kid John trains, Chris Harris, silenced that Gym the other day by giving some kid Hell. I'll feel proud if the re-match comes off and I can get Daijon in there. It's already pretty solidified, but I'll feel pretty awesome if it actually comes to pass.

Oh your not his trainer? You guys have alot of trainers under the same roof?

We have around 8 total I think. Me, a black dude, a white dude, a Dominican, a Cuban, a Puerto Rican, a Jamaican, and a Mexican.

We have around 8 total I think. Me, a black dude, a white dude, a Dominican, a Cuban, a Puerto Rican, a Jamaican, and a Mexican.

So you, a Dominican, a black dude, a white dude, a Cuban, a Puerto Rican, Jamaican, a Mexican, a priest and a rabbi all walk into a bar...

No, I ducked!

Damn, you guys even got a black dude! :icon_chee Ive honestly never seen that many coaches in 1 gym before, maybe its more common in the US or Vegas. BTW I just realized Daijon and J Flash are not the same person lol... Daijon is your student right?

It's pretty common in Vegas. More trainers than facilities.

And yes, Daijon is my student.

Sinister a pretty random question but just out of interest how oldschool or not are you in your conditioning training?
Do you mostly work on technique and let your guys do all the conditioning and strength stuff themselves? Do you tell them what to do or let them do whatever they want? Do you tell them to lift weights or to stay away from weights or do you each guy do his thing?

I'm sure you mostly do technique with your guys but obviously that's not all they do?

Also about the weight classes they fight in do you just strongly advise them in which weight class to compete or do they "have" to compete where you want them? And how do you pick the weight class obviously you will roughly look at their height and weight but especially since you only have amateurs do you try to get them as low as possible or how do you decide which weight class they should compete in?

Sinister a pretty random question but just out of interest how oldschool or not are you in your conditioning training?
Do you mostly work on technique and let your guys do all the conditioning and strength stuff themselves? Do you tell them what to do or let them do whatever they want? Do you tell them to lift weights or to stay away from weights or do you each guy do his thing?

I'm sure you mostly do technique with your guys but obviously that's not all they do?

Also about the weight classes they fight in do you just strongly advise them in which weight class to compete or do they "have" to compete where you want them? And how do you pick the weight class obviously you will roughly look at their height and weight but especially since you only have amateurs do you try to get them as low as possible or how do you decide which weight class they should compete in?

Without giving away too many secrets, we do conditioning at the gym at programmed times. He also suggests extra curricular conditioning if we can. I lift and do all sorts of conditioning shit on my own to work the different energy systems. Sometimes leaves me flat in the gym, but it's a balancing act.

For weight classes, I tell Sinister what I weigh and how my diet has been. He picks a number and we get there (or sometimes don't but that's our fault.) He could give more info on how he picks...

Yeah, it's a bit of both. I like them to either run, bike, or swim on their own, and some of them hit up regular Gyms at different times in the day as Mike indicated above. However, I have a say in what they do because I don't want anything detracting from their fighting.

The in-house conditioning programs I run are very very sport-specific. I'm not with the modern "strength is strength, speed is speed" philosophy, because I've seen too many strong and fast cross-over athletes suck at boxing endurance. Tennis players, soccer players, football players, lifters, every last one of them gas out in boxing Gyms.

I'm not sure if you remember this HL but it's on the first page of this thread, it shows some of the conditioning we do:

The lifters and a couple MMA fighters in the video are athletes I've either helped with directly, or done their nutritional plans.

Last edited:
I've been doing a ton of these interviews lately:

The History of Johnny Tocco's.

BTW That's Bleu and Daijon in the photo.

Speaking of Daijon, couple of good rounds between he and Jeremiah.

Damn, I didn't know a lot of that about Tocco's. Interesting read.

Those were good rounds. What should Daijon have done about Jeremiah throwing those right hands so that he was moving into them? If I had to guess I would say go to his right hip first (possibly with an attack) when the jab came instead of his left or maybe use some pulls instead of slipping/ducking every time, but those punches looked really tough to deal with.

Pivot right.

Makes sense, I was thinking that the reason he didn't pivot right is because of the jab feint and foot position of Jeremiah. Like I thought Jeremiah was trying to bait him to move left which kept him in the path of the right hand. Should have realized the best answer is to just go the other way. Thanks!

Edit: I believe this is an example of tactical thinking leading me astray.

Well, if he thought Jeremiah was baiting him to his own right, he'd need to threaten before the pivot is all. Jeremiah is good, but fairly cautious unless you just stand still. He can be distracted.

Yea threatening before the pivot is sort of what I had in mind when I said move to his right hip first, except I was thinking of the pivot as an afterthought.

There's a lot of news to post, and I'm waiting on a couple more vids from other people. But for now, some of you had asked about Christian (new pupil of mine, former pupil of Alvaro Morales) sparring, here's he and Joseph gettin' down. What's funny about this is how many times I have to put the camera down because they were catching so many punches they kept untying each other's gloves:

There's a lot of news to post, and I'm waiting on a couple more vids from other people. But for now, some of you had asked about Christian (new pupil of mine, former pupil of Alvaro Morales) sparring, here's he and Joseph gettin' down. What's funny about this is how many times I have to put the camera down because they were catching so many punches they kept untying each other's gloves:

Nice sparring. They look good!

Thank you. Christian is still a little rusty. At the top of his game he usually takes people out with that right uppercut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back