Brazil In Turmoil: Jailed for corruption, ex-President Lula registered for presidency bid again

No they will not. Operação lava jato is solid enough and has support for EVERYONE.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, proved against Temer.

And EVEN if he was crooked, at least he has the right ideas to take the country out of the hole it is in.

Anyway, you are from california and i am from brazil. Want to exchange places? i would give ANYTHING to have been born in a decent country. Unfortunately i was born in a continent doomed by leftists measures.

If you can leave then do it. Move somewhere else and be a good immigrant. And btw, you made it sound like the left is in charge for decades. We had a fucking military dictatorship not so long ago so stop with that. Brazil was never a decent country!

No they will not. Operação lava jato is solid enough and has support for EVERYONE.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, proved against Temer.

And EVEN if he was crooked, at least he has the right ideas to take the country out of the hole it is in.

Anyway, you are from california and i am from brazil. Want to exchange places? i would give ANYTHING to have been born in a decent country. Unfortunately i was born in a continent doomed by leftists measures.
Immigrating is not impossible. My whole family moved out of uruguay and brazil 15 years ago.

@Arkain2K is there a concise explanation for what Rouseff did wrong? the charges seem to vague and the actions against her seem so swift.

When that secret recording is leaked, it confirm my personal view that many crooked politiicians who topped Rousseff done so not for the future of their country, but to save their own corrupted ass, and many patriotic Brazilians with good intentions who protested on the street still haven't realized that they're being used as pawns. What can you do when there isn't a single politician with a semi clean record in the entire nation of Brazil?

For all new-comers to the thread, I would recommend this great read from last month:

The great betrayal
Dilma Rousseff has let her country down. But so has the entire political class
Apr 23rd 2016

20160423_LDD002_0.jpg

BRAZIL’S Congress has witnessed some bizarre scenes in its time.

In 1963 a senator aimed a gun at his arch-enemy and killed another senator by mistake. In 1998 a crucial government bill failed when a congressman pushed the wrong button on his electronic voting device. But the spectacle in the lower house on April 17th surely counts among the oddest.

One by one, 511 deputies filed towards a crowded microphone and, in ten-second bursts broadcast to a rapt nation, voted on the impeachment of the president, Dilma Rousseff. Some were draped in Brazilian flags. One launched a confetti rocket. Many gushed dedications to their home towns, religions, pet causes—and even Brazil’s insurance brokers. The motion to forward charges against Ms Rousseff to the Senate for trial passed by 367 votes to 137, with seven abstentions.

The vote comes at a desperate time. Brazil is struggling with its worst recession since the 1930s. GDP is expected to shrink by 9% from the second quarter of 2014, when the recession started, to the end of this year. Inflation and the unemployment rate are both around 10%.

The failure is not only of Ms Rousseff’s making. The entire political class has let the country down through a mix of negligence and corruption. Brazil’s leaders will not win back the respect of its citizens or overcome the economy’s problems unless there is a thorough clean-up.

Ditching Dilma

Sunday’s vote was not the end of Ms Rousseff, but her departure cannot now be far off. Brazil ought not to mourn her. Incompetence in her first term in office, from 2011 to 2014, has made the country’s economic plight incomparably worse. Her Workers’ Party (PT) is a prime mover behind a gargantuan bribery scheme centred on Petrobras, the state-controlled oil company, which channelled money from contractors to politicians and parties. Although Ms Rousseff has not been personally implicated in the wrongdoing, she tried to shield her predecessor as president, Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, from prosecution.

What is alarming is that those who are working for her removal are in many ways worse. If the Senate votes to put her on trial, probably by mid-May, Ms Rousseff will have to step aside for up to 180 days. The vice-president, Michel Temer, who comes from a different party, will take over and serve out her term if the Senate removes her from office (see article). Mr Temer may provide short-term economic relief. Unlike the hapless Ms Rousseff, he knows how to get things done in Brasília and his Party of the Brazilian Democratic Movement (PMDB) is friendlier to business than the PT.

But the PMDB is hopelessly compromised, too. One of its leaders is the speaker of the lower house, Eduardo Cunha, who presided over Sunday’s six-hour impeachment spectacle and has himself been charged by the supreme court with taking bribes through the Petrobras scheme. In announcing their “no” votes, some of Ms Rousseff’s allies denounced Mr Cunha as a “gangster” and a “thief”.

The taint of corruption is spread across many Brazilian parties. Of the 21 deputies under investigation in the Petrobras affair, 16 voted for Ms Rousseff’s impeachment. About 60% of congressmen face accusations of criminal wrongdoing.

There are no quick ways of putting this right. The roots of Brazil’s political dysfunction go back to the slave-based economy of the 19th century, to dictatorship in the 20th and to a flawed electoral system that both makes campaigns ruinously expensive and also shields politicians from account.

In the short run, impeachment will not fix this. The charge that is the basis for trying Ms Rousseff—that she manipulated accounts last year to make the fiscal deficit look smaller than it was—is so minor that just a handful of congressmen bothered to mention it in their ten-second tirades. If Ms Rousseff is ousted on a technicality, Mr Temer will struggle to be seen as a legitimate president by the large minority of Brazilians who still back Ms Rousseff.

In any other country, such a cocktail of economic decline and political conflict might be combustible. Yet Brazil has remarkable reserves of tolerance. Divided as they are over the rights and wrongs of impeachment, Brazilians have kept their anger in check. The past three decades suggest that theirs is a country which can endure a crisis without resorting to coups or collapses. And here, perhaps, is a shred of hope.

The fact that the Petrobras scandal has ensnared some of the country’s most powerful politicians and businessmen is a sign that some institutions, especially those that enforce the law, are maturing. One reason politicians are in such trouble is that a new, better-educated and more assertive middle class refused to put up with their impunity. Some of the statutes now being used to put away miscreants were enacted by Ms Rousseff’s government.

One way of capturing this spirit would be for the country to hold fresh elections. A new president might have a mandate to embark on reforms that have eluded governments for decades. Voters also deserve a chance to rid themselves of the entire corruption-infested Congress. Only new leaders and new legislators can undertake the fundamental reforms that Brazil needs, in particular an overhaul of the corruption-prone political system and of uncontrolled public spending, which pushes up debt and hobbles growth.

Second best

True enough, the path to renewal through the ballot box is strewn with obstacles. Given its record, Congress is unlikely to pass the constitutional amendment required to dissolve itself and hold an early general election. The electoral tribunal could order a new presidential ballot, on the ground that Petrobras bribe money helped finance the re-election of Ms Rousseff and Mr Temer in 2014. But that is far from certain.

There is thus a good chance that Brazil will be condemned to muddle on under the current generation of discredited leaders. Its voters should not forget this moment. Because, in the end, they will have a chance to go to the polls—and they should use it to vote for something better.

http://www.economist.com/news/leade...-so-has-entire-political-class-great-betrayal

If you can leave then do it. Move somewhere else and be a good immigrant. And btw, you made it sound like the left is in charge for decades. We had a fucking military dictatorship not so long ago so stop with that. Brazil was never a decent country!

Even our military dictatorship was not found of the free market. They were quite interventionist in the economy.

The only dictator in the entire continent that had a classic liberal approach to the economy was Augusto Pinochet. And despite being a horrible human being he laid out the foundations for Chile success.

When that secret recording is leaked, it confirm my personal view that many crooked politiicians who topped Rousseff done so not for the future of their country, but to save their own corrupted ass, and many patriotic Brazilians with good intentions who protested on the street still haven't realized that they're being used as pawns. What can you do when there isn't a single politician with a semi clean record in the entire nation of Brazil?

For all new-comers to the thread, I would recommend this great read from last month:

Well surprise surprise.

In a fresh leaked phone conversation between the ex president Sarney and the president of Transpetro ( an oil transport company) Sarney said Dilma was directly involved in a bribe case.

All your tale just crumbled to pieces. Dilmas is as crooked as her mentor, Lula.
No, i will not translate the quote, do it for yourself:

http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/poder/...hadora-de-ponto-100-diz-sarney-em-audio.shtml

''Sarney:Nesse caso, ao que eu sei, o único em que ela [Dilma] está envolvida diretamente é que falou com o pessoal da Odebrecht para dar para campanha do... E responsabilizar aquele [inaudível]''

Immigrating is not impossible. My whole family moved out of uruguay and brazil 15 years ago.

I have a graduation to finish, and , more important than that ,a girlfriend that i cannot see myself leaving behind.

The idea is to leave the country after she finishes her own graduation.

Well surprise surprise.

In a fresh leaked phone conversation between the ex president Sarney and the president of Transpetro ( an oil transport company) Sarney said Dilma was directly involved in a bribe case.

All your tale just crumbled to pieces. Dilmas is as crooked as her mentor, Lula.'

My "tale" of corrupted Brazilian elites throwing each other under the bus to compete for power and wealth in a country where a clean politician does not exists to replace them, has "just crumbled to pieces" with yet ANOTHER damning leaked phone recording?

We would laugh at the absurdity of it all, if it wasn't so damn sad looking in from the outside.

The worse part is, nothing is ever gonna change in your country if you still continue clinging to this fantasy that there's a "good guy" versus a "bad guy" base on left/right party lines. There are crooks on the Left, there are crooks on the Right, and they're pitching passionate and patriotic people like you against each others for their own selfish gain.

They're not going to stop their plundering until you wise up and learn to stop flinging mud over Leftwing vs. Rightwing narratives and focus solely on Corrupted vs. Non-corrupted.

Putting all the blame on one politician/party is easy, but if you really want to shake up this sickly system and rid of it from the cancer of corruption, you gotta do it all the way instead of keep exchanging one crook for another.

Mexico has no hope left, but I believe Brazil still has a chance.

Start searching high and low for a good clean leader who is corruption-free and still cares more about Brazil than lining their pockets and offshore bank accounts, NOW, and then make sure ALL the sick ones are caught by the on-going coruption probe before they could infect him.

Goodluck with that, by the way.

Last edited:
Rise like Lions after slumber
In unvanquishable number.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you—
Ye are many—they are few.

From Dictatorship to Democracy — summary
TL; DR: Competent strategic planning of political defiance is necessary in order to take down a dictatorship. To be as effective as possible, this strategy must target the dictators’ most important sources of power at their weakest points.

Why strategy is essential:

You are more likely to end up where you want to go

Need to maximize resources since the dictatorship has so much more

Ensures that the current dictator isn’t just replaced by a new one

Keeps you on the offenses instead of just responding to whatever the dictatorship does

Otherwise may just be wasting energy; just doing whatever you feel like doing isn’t likely to be enough to take down the dictatorship. It may even increase the dictatorship’s strength.

PROTIPS:

The movement must be nonviolent.

By using violence, you attack the dictatorship at its strongest point (i.e. military).

Don’t worry about infiltration.

Since it’s bound to happen whether you strive to maintain secrecy or not, you gain more from including as many people as possible than being closed off and allowing paranoia to destroy the resistance group.

Can’t plan just to dismantle the dictatorship; have to also plan the democratic system that will replace it or else another dictator will.

The dictatorship’s power lies in:

Authority: the belief among the people that the regime is legitimate and that they have a moral duty to obey it.

The assistance of the people

Material resources (incl. financial)

Punishment of those who are disobedient

How to dismantle these bases of power:

Delegitimize the regime’s authority (e.g. through symbolic acts)

Overcome the people’s fear and habit of obedience; increase their desire and ability to withdraw cooperation by disseminating stories that illustrate this process

Strengthen social groups independent from dictatorship (isolated individuals not members of groups usually are unable to make a significant impact)

Use strikes, boycotts, economic autonomy, etc. to restrict dictators’ material resources

https://jacklindstrom.wordpress.com/2012/03/01/from-dictatorship-to-democracy-the-executive-summary/

http://www.aeinstein.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/FDTD.pdf
Useful stuff, that's a light in the dark for someone as hopeless as i am. People here gotta take action before its too late, i'll do my part to change things.

My "tale" of corrupted Brazilian elites throwing each other under the bus to compete for power and wealth in a country where a clean politician does not exists to replace them, has "just crumbled to pieces" with yet ANOTHER damning leaked phone recording?

We would laugh at the absurdity of it all, if it wasn't so damn sad looking in from the outside.

The worse part is, nothing is ever gonna change in your country if you still continue clinging to this fantasy that there's a "good guy" versus a "bad guy" base on left/right party lines. There are crooks on the Left, there are crooks on the Right, and they're pitching passionate and patriotic people like you against each others for their own selfish gain.

They're not going to stop their plundering until you wise up and learn to stop flinging mud over Leftwing vs. Rightwing narratives and focus solely on Corrupted vs. Non-corrupted.

Putting all the blame on one politician/party is easy, but if you really want to shake up this sickly system and rid of it from the cancer of corruption, you gotta do it all the way instead of keep exchanging one crook for another.

Mexico has no hope left, but I believe Brazil still has a chance.

Start searching high and low for a good clean leader who is corruption-free and still cares more about Brazil than lining their pockets and offshore bank accounts, NOW, and then make sure ALL the sick ones are caught by the on-going coruption probe before they could infect him.

Goodluck with that, by the way.
Spot on, everyone here is losing their minds over "left vs right" and don't see the bigger picture. You have to see how they defend sides so blindly, is almost like seeing real zombies. The population is brainwashed to the extreme and use their energy and power to worthless things. This country needs unity, but people here want to take part and fight each other over who's wrong who's right, meanwhile they keep fucking up the country and slaving us.

Brazil's anti-corruption Minister Fabiano Silveira quits over damning recordings
May 30, 2016​

r

Brazil's interim President Michel Temer reacts during a meeting of the presentation of economic measures, at the Planalto Palace in Brasilia, Brazil, May 24, 2016.​

BRASILIA, May 30 (Reuters) - Brazil's Transparency Minister Fabiano Silveira resigned on Monday after leaked recordings suggested he tried to derail a sprawling corruption probe, the latest cabinet casualty impacting interim President Michel Temer's administration.

Silveira, the man Temer tasked with fighting corruption since he took office on May 12, announced his plans to step down in a letter, according to the presidential palace's media office. No replacement for Silveira has yet been named.

Silveira and Senate President Renan Calheiros became the latest officials ensnared by leaked recordings secretly made by a former oil industry executive as part of a plea bargain. The same tapes led to the resignation last week of Romero Jucá, whom Temer had named as planning minister.

Jucá's resignation dealt a blow to Temer's efforts to build a stable government in the wake of the May 12 suspension of leftist President Dilma Rousseff.

A government source had told Reuters on Monday that Silveira would stay in his job "for now," without elaborating.

In parts of the recordings, aired by TV Globo late on Sunday, Silveira criticizes prosecutors in the probe focused on state-controlled oil company Petróleo Brasileiro SA, known as Petrobras, which has already implicated dozens of politicians and led to the imprisonment of top executives.

In the conversation, recorded at Calheiros' home three months before Silveira became a Cabinet minister, Silveira advises the Senate leader on how best to defend himself from the probe into Petrobras.

The former head of the transportation arm of Petrobras, Sergio Machado, who is under investigation as part of the graft probe and has turned state's witness, recorded the meeting and conversations with other politicians to obtain leniency from prosecutors. Silveira was a counselor on the National Justice Counsel, a judicial watchdog agency, at the time of the meeting.

In the report, Globo TV also said some audio indicated that Silveira on several occasions spoke with prosecutors in charge of the Petrobras case to find out what information they might have on Calheiros, which he reported back to the Senate leader.

Silveira is heard saying prosecutors were "totally lost."

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0YL1SB

Last edited:
I have a graduation to finish, and , more important than that ,a girlfriend that i cannot see myself leaving behind.

The idea is to leave the country after she finishes her own graduation.

Broads come and go homie. Follow the heart and higher power.

I did the mistake of looking at news headlines regarding Brazil today, after 30+ Brazilian men gang-raping a 16 year old and then posted the vid on Twitter.

What's even more disgusting are the excited responses with glee instead of condemnation from other Brazilians on Twitter. What the fuck Brazil?!

Lol

But aren't you against neoliberal economic policies? That's basically what the shift in government will lead to. Temer might make Brazil more attractive to foreign investors but will that necessarily lead to prosperity for the average Brazilain?

To be fair I don't think its wrong to support Policy A for country X and Policy B for country Y since circumstances will be different and could require very different solutions but in a place as unequal as Brazil(Latin America in general really) I'm not sure economic policies that increase wealth inequality is the right way to go.

Might not matter either way since both parties are pretty corrupt but setting that aside for a minute I wonder what your take is in the Latin American context.
I did the mistake of looking at news headlines regarding Brazil today, after 30+ Brazilian men gang-raping a 16 year old and then posted the vid on Twitter.

What's even more disgusting are the excited responses with glee instead of condemnation from other Brazilians on Twitter. What the fuck Brazil?!
That's some MENA level shit right there.

Last edited:
It is on a promising path, this is the blister popping and releasing all that pus, Brazil will undoubtely leave this recession with pretty strong political institutions.

Meanwhile here in Mexico corruption blister is filling up as long as there is money to bribe thanks to the exports market and the US remittances, shit is not going to be fixed.

Yup, Mexico is awful.

it seems like there wasn't any rape. she's keen on using drugs and she likes that kind of sex. and in an interview she contradicted herself many times and even her mother said that she likes orgies

if she keeps lying she's gonna wake up dead

Lol

But aren't you against neoliberal economic policies? That's basically what the shift in government will lead to. Temer might make Brazil more attractive to foreign investors but will that necessarily lead to prosperity for the average Brazilain?

To be fair I don't think its wrong to support Policy A for country X and Policy B for country Y since circumstances will be different and could require very different solutions but in a place as unequal as Brazil(Latin America in general really) I'm not sure economic policies that increase wealth inequality is the right way to go.

Might not matter either way since both parties are pretty corrupt but setting that aside for a minute I wonder what your take is in the Latin American context.

That's some MENA level shit right there.
Yeah, I can't proclaim to know what SA countries should do. I don't know the intricacies of what's happening there. As a general rule, I'm against neoliberalism, but that is all in context. I don't mind some supply-side policies as long as it's done in a sort of Keynesian counter-cyclical manner. So I'm against tearing down regulations in America that allows for TBTF banks to become even bigger, and a massive outsourcing of jobs. Plus it doesn't help that douchebags like Grover Norquist are trying to force supply-side policies no matter what the consequence. Supply-side is only half of the equation and only focusing on tax cuts and less government, in the context of America, is insane imo. There are times the government needs to increase/decrease taxes and spending. Removing the ability for the government to do that is purposely handicapping our nation for some quixotic view of how our government should be. In a country like Venezuela, though, I think more supply-side policies could be a good thing. They do need a freeing of the market and less government influence on everything.

tl;dr - it's all relative.

A Way Forward for Brazil
By Jon Lee Anderson
June 1, 2016

Anderson-AWayForwardforBrazil-1200.jpg

The litany of ironies that has accrued from the May 12th congressional vote that suspended Brazil’s President, Dilma Rousseff—on the grounds that she faked government budget figures and wrongly transferred state money, to win reëlection, in 2014—is growing rapidly. The man who is now the acting President, Michel Temer, moved with alacrity to transmogrify Brazil’s left-of-center government into an unabashedly right-wing one. In doing so, he has made a series of appalling choices.

In a country where half of the population is female and a similar percentage has African or indigenous ancestry, Temer named an all-white, all-male Cabinet. He got rid of the Ministry of Women, Racial Equality, and Human Rights, ordering it to be subsumed into the Ministry of Justice—which he promptly handed over to Alexandre de Moraes, a former security official from São Paulo who is accused of deploying death squads to fight crime in that city. (His former office has denied the accusations.) This came at the same time as news of a horrifying case in which a sixteen-year-old girl in Rio de Janeiro was gang-raped by as many as thirty-three men, some of whom filmed their abuse and posted it to social media. Under pressure from the public, Temer declared his intention to form a special task force to investigate crime against women.

Brazil’s Ministry of Culture was also slated for elimination by Temer, but, after a week of nationwide protests and building occupations by musicians, artists, and other activists, he reversed that decision.

Temer’s choice for agriculture minister, meanwhile, was a portly billionaire senator named Blairo Maggi, who cast the deciding vote in the Senate to unseat Rousseff. Maggi, the former governor of the state of Mato Grosso, made his fortune by cutting down millions of acres of Amazonian wilderness. In a 2007 piece for National Geographic, the journalist Scott Wallace wrote, “Maggi is ‘O Rei da Soja, King of Soy, the world’s largest single producer. Maggi acquired a less flattering honorific when Greenpeace gave him its Golden Chain Saw award in 2005.” For a number of years while he was governor, Mato Grosso led Brazil in deforestation. In 2010, Maggi was elected to the Senate, and, with the support of the powerful bancada ruralista, Brazil’s agribusiness lobby, he became head of the environmental committee, where he helped push through a set of environmental regulations known as the Forest Code. Among other things, the Forest Code gave amnesty to landowners who had previously engaged in illegal wilderness clearances. Alex Cuadros, in his forthcoming book “Brazillionaires,” about Brazil’s nouveaux super-rich, writes of the law, “Even as it ordered landowners to preserve eighty percent of their rain forest properties, it freed them from the obligation to restore areas they’d illegally cut down. Many interpreted this as a green light to slash and burn again, since another amnesty might come at a later date, absolving them of any fresh violations.” In an interview with Cuadros, Maggi said, “The people who criticize me are antidevelopment.”

Temer also appointed several officials who are under investigation for corruption, including some who have been implicated in the far-ranging so-called Car Wash scandal, involving the state-owned oil company Petrobras, in which dozens of government officials and legislators are suspected of taking bribes and kickbacks. In the latest twist, this week, in a newly leaked recording, Brazil’s brand-new transparency minister, Fabiano Silveira—in other words, its anti-corruption czar—can be overheard discussing with other politicians ways to avoid prosecution in Car Wash. Silveira said he was only speaking in a “generic” sense. He has since resigned. (I wrote about the first resignation, of Temer’s planning minister, Romero Jucá, last week, after he was also recorded in conversation with one of the implicated senators, and heard to be talking about a “pact” that he suggests could halt the Car Wash investigation.)

Understandably, many Brazilians are angry and confused about what is happening to their country. Thirty-one years after the restoration of democracy following two decades of military dictatorship, Brazil is teetering on the brink of disaster. To reëstablish order, as well as the public’s trust, Brazil’s judicial investigation into official corruption should be expanded to include the evidence that has also emerged suggesting that Rousseff’s impeachment might have been engineered, in some measure, to stifle corruption investigations such as Car Wash. If any members of Brazil’s high public offices, past or present, are found guilty of these or other offenses, they should be charged and sentenced as ordinary citizens would be. That might sound obvious, but such prosecutions will not be possible unless Brazil’s Chamber of Deputies and Senate vote to repeal the laws of parliamentary immunity that currently protect their own members. For Brazilians to restore their democracy to full health, elected public office must no longer be allowed to be a sanctuary for scoundrels.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/a-way-forward-for-brazil

Back