Rewatched Unbreakable last night for the first time in ages

The Village is pretty divisive but it's my personal favorite of all of M. Night's films.

Defend this position please...

because Village was the most underwhelming "Twist" ending of all time.

I mean, I kinda got what Shamalayn was going for..."the blind woman actually sees better than most..."

but I have Unbreakable, Signs and Sixth Sense way post the Village.

going back to the OP..

Unbreakable is grossly underrated. it was a beautifully shot film...with great performances.

Did anyone else like Lady in the Water? Ill admit I had no idea what the hell i was watching but i still enjoyed it. Sometimes I like movies like that where im totally lost but i just sit back and enjoy the cinematography. Kinda like Valhalla Rising

I mean, I kinda got what Shamalayn was going for..."the blind woman actually sees better than most..."

going back to the OP..

Unbreakable is grossly underrated. it was a beautifully shot film...with great performances.

I didn't see the twist coming. Was it underwhelming nonetheless? Maybe a bit, but I still found it interesting.

For me though, what really makes The Village a masterpiece--and I don't use that word lightly--comes down to the ideas that are explored and the way those ideas are explored.

First, as someone who is constantly uneasy about the ever-increasing ways that technology is dominating our lives, the idea of withdrawing from modern society to seek a simpler, more community-based, less technological way of living is an intriguing one.

Second, I feel like the film does a great job of exploring the concept of innocence: what it is, how it can be lost and whether or not an age of innocence can be recaptured once it is gone.

And finally, beyond the film's ideas and themes, I think the performances, cinematography and score are all top notch.

I feel like, by bringing all of these elements together in the way that he did, M. Night created an experience that is entirely unique. I can't think of another film that reminds me of The Village.

Did anyone else like Lady in the Water? Ill admit I had no idea what the hell i was watching but i still enjoyed it. Sometimes I like movies like that where im totally lost but i just sit back and enjoy the cinematography. Kinda like Valhalla Rising

I rewatched that one about a year ago.

It has a lot going for it--great performances, a nice look, and an interesting and original story--but it falls apart on a narrative level near the end.

It is neither a great film nor as bad as some people pretend it is.

6.5/10

The Village is pretty divisive but it's my personal favorite of all of M. Night's films.

i hated the village because the trailer made it look way cooler than it was. it made it look like a scary monster movie but it was just a pilgrim movie with a dumb twist

i hated the village because the trailer made it look way cooler than it was. it made it look like a scary monster movie but it was just a pilgrim movie with a dumb twist

This seems to be the most common criticism: "The movie wasn't what the trailer said it would be."

I often wonder how it would've been received if the trailer had not sold it like a horror movie and people just judged it for what it is, not what they wanted it to be.

Personally, I think the film is far more interesting than it would be if it were actually a monster movie.

going back to the OP..

Don't bother, he has a horrible taste in movies.

Seen it twice and each time I ask myself what is so special about this. I find it extremely hard to sit through the entire movie without falling asleep

Seen it twice and each time I ask myself what is so special about this. I find it extremely hard to sit through the entire movie without falling asleep

It's a quiet movie but I think that quietness creates a mood and a feeling that is more entrancing than it is dull or boring.

With that said, even while watching it last night I was thinking to myself that I was sure some people found the movie to be slow.

I gotta watch Unbreakable again. It's been years. Maybe that's why I didn't thin of a connection between it and Split

For those who have already seen Split:

Here's a funny conversation I had last night with a friend who just watched Split (this is actually why I rewatched Unbreakable):

Him: Watched Split. Really good movie but the ending was pretty predictable. Expected something more off the wall from M. Night.

Me: I thought it was pretty good. You do understand the ending ties it into Unbreakable, right?

Him: No. Never seen it.

Me: . . . well that's why the ending didn't seem like a big fucking deal to you.

I just saw Split the other day and I thought it was really good.

Unbreakable is one of those movies that I have only seen bits in pieces of over the years (I really need to sit down and watch it in full) but I still understood the ending of Split. I thought it was brilliant.

I just saw Split the other day and I thought it was really good.

Unbreakable is one of those movies that I have only seen bits in pieces of over the years (I really need to sit down and watch it in full) but I still understood the ending of Split. I thought it was brilliant.

You definitely need to give Unbreakable a proper watch. It's such a different take on the superhero genre.

I cant decide if I want to rewatch Village or not. Its been forever since I seen it and I remember very little, next to nothing really. I love horror/thriller movies. I kind of want to, but I have 50+ movies in my list to get to..

You definitely need to give Unbreakable a proper watch. It's such a different take on the superhero genre.

I found the parts I did see to be interesting and it did seem to be a little different. Super Hero movies aren't a genre that I normally gravitate too. I always enjoy them after I'm through watching them, but I usually gravitate towards the Psychological Thrillers or man Dramas (Gangster, sports, prison etc...)

I cant decide if I want to rewatch Village or not. Its been forever since I seen it and I remember very little, next to nothing really. I love horror/thriller movies. I kind of want to, but I have 50+ movies in my list to get to..

Like I said, I love it. I think it's a very misunderstood film. I've seen it more than any other M. Night movie and continue to revisit it every few years.

I found the parts I did see to be interesting and it did seem to be a little different. Super Hero movies aren't a genre that I normally gravitate too. I always enjoy them after I'm through watching them, but I usually gravitate towards the Psychological Thrillers or man Dramas (Gangster, sports, prison etc...)

Earlier in the thread I made the comment that it's a superhero movie for people who don't like superhero movies.

You should check it out and report back. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts.

Back