Rewatched Unbreakable last night for the first time in ages

I enjoyed unbreakable.
Underrated movie, IMO.

Earlier in the thread I made the comment that it's a superhero movie for people who don't like superhero movies.

You should check it out and report back. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts.

I watched this movie shortly after you made this thread and I thought it was great. M. Knight has made a couple of turds here and their, but he has also made some great films. He kind of gets the Adam Sandler treatment were it's almost trendy to hate on him.

The Sixth Sense
Signs
The Village
The Visit
Split
The Happening

Are all of the M. Kinght movies I have seen and I thought they were all good. The Happening was a little corny (because it was supposed to be) but I still found it enjoyable.

Last edited:
He has cameos in almost all of his movies, including SPLIT. Yeah he's not bad. His best cameo performance imo was probably in Signs. Luckily for M. Night the bar for modern director cameos was set incredibly low with Tarantino, compared to him M. Night is fucking DDL.

Wow I didn't know that about M. NIGHT doing cameos in all his films. Have to watch for his appearances now.

Tarantino's Mr. Brown scene in Reservoir Dogs was great. Other than that his acting is mediocre.

From when it first came out and even to this day; the love I have for this film is Unbreakable.

Wow I didn't know that about M. NIGHT doing cameos in all his films. Have to watch for his appearances now.

Tarantino's Mr. Brown scene in Reservoir Dogs was great. Other than that his acting is mediocre.

Personally I think Tarantino's acting is beyond mediocre, it is just plain bad. And it seems to have gotten worse with age, his few seconds in Django Unchained seemed like 10 minutes. Brutal.

I could be wrong but I think the only M. Night films he doesn't cameo in are Wide Awake, After Earth, & The Visit.

I watched this movie shortly after you made this thread and I thought it was great. M. Knight has made a couple of turds here and their, but he has also made some great films. He kind of gets the Adam Sandler treatment were it's almost trendy to hate on him.

The Sixth Sense
Signs
The Village
The Visit
Split
The Happening

Are all of the M. Kinght movies I have scene and I thought they were all good. The Happening was a little corny (because it was supposed to be) but I still found it enjoyable.

Nice! Glad to hear you got a chance to check it out start to finish.

Agreed that it's trendy to hate on M. Night. People like to do that though. The biggest targets are those who are on top of the world, and he was on top for a while in the early 00s. As soon as he made a less-than-great movie people turned on him. He's one of my favorite filmmakers though.

And I agree with your list. The Happening wasn't great, but it has some fun moments. I certainly wouldn't call it a great film, but it's better than it often gets credit for (since it usually gets no credit at all). John Leguizamo does a good job in it.

From when it first came out and even to this day; the love I have for this film is Unbreakable.

2mzzexd.jpg

Personally I think Tarantino's acting is beyond mediocre, it is just plain bad. And it seems to have gotten worse with age, his few seconds in Django Unchained seemed like 10 minutes. Brutal.

I thought he did fairly well in the coffee scene in Pulp Fiction. I'm sure the fact that the scene is a classic doesn't hurt, but I didn't think his performance dragged the movie down.

I also thought he did okay in From Dusk Til Dawn.

I could be wrong but I think the only M. Night films he doesn't cameo in are Wide Awake, After Earth, & The Visit.

Also noticed Tarantino's hairline seems to be receding like his acting skills. :eek:

Fuck yeah!

2019 is still a good ways away but I'm glad to see that they're committed enough to pushing Glass forward and getting it off the ground that they've already set a release date.

January '19, so not that far away. Time flies...

Yeah the script is done, actors are set, production is only a few weeks away now. M. Night working fast for this one.

January '19, so not that far away. Time flies...

Yeah the script is done, actors are set, production is only a few weeks away now. M. Night working fast for this one.

I wonder if M. Night is rubbing his palms together and thinking, "This is it! This is my chance to be a big filmmaker again!"

I really do hope that this completes his career resurrection and that we get some more legit classics from him.

I thought he did fairly well in the coffee scene in Pulp Fiction. I'm sure the fact that the scene is a classic doesn't hurt, but I didn't think his performance dragged the movie down.

I also thought he did okay in From Dusk Til Dawn.

The Pulp Fiction scene works because the movie and the material is just that good, but Quentin's performance in that scene is still a weird speedbump in an otherwise flawless film. His 'don't fucking Jimmy me Jules, okay, don't fucking Jimmy me' line is some awkward acting school exercise shit.

I love him in interviews, when he's just being his weird self, but it's awkward as hell when he tries to act.

Also noticed Tarantino's hairline seems to be receding like his acting skills. :eek:

I'm not gonna hate on the guy for getting old.

"Nothing fucks a man like time." - Ser Davos

I wonder if M. Night is rubbing his palms together and thinking, "This is it! This is my chance to be a big filmmaker again!"

I really do hope that this completes his career resurrection and that we get some more legit classics from him.

Honestly I don't think M. Night gives a fuck. He was on the cultural shitlist for the last decade, but he just kept doing his thing anyway. It hasn't really stopped him from steadily making movies. Me, I've always said this whole time that directing is a long game. People are too quick to judge a director as a whole for a small string of clunkers, but there are plenty of directors who take decades to find their groove or mojo, and then produce some more great stuff. I always knew he had more stuff like SPLIT in him. Hopefully he goes on a streak now.

Honestly I don't think M. Night gives a fuck. He was on the cultural shitlist for the last decade, but he just kept doing his thing anyway. It hasn't really stopped him from steadily making movies.

I dunno, I've listened to some interviews with him and there were times where I got the impression that he felt genuinely hurt by the way he had been treated by fans/moviegoers/the media/studios.

I think that having the opportunity to return to low-budget, leaner filmmaking has had a positive effect on him--both creatively and psychologically--but I also think that he's the kind of guy who really does crave the love of the fans. He needs the adulation.

And I think he probably also wants the kind of budget that comes along with big studio films as well.

Village does suck. But weve had our arguments already..

Best part of the movie was the battle at the end. The music, the build, and it was just a choke.

Naturally when i heard the Unbreakable soundtrack at the end if Split, my dick got hard. If they did a sequel, it would rebuild Willis.

Btw, Lady in the Water > The Village

I dunno, I've listened to some interviews with him and there were times where I got the impression that he felt genuinely hurt by the way he had been treated by fans/moviegoers/the media/studios.

I think that having the opportunity to return to low-budget, leaner filmmaking has had a positive effect on him--both creatively and psychologically--but I also think that he's the kind of guy who really does crave the love of the fans. He needs the adulation.

And I think he probably also wants the kind of budget that comes along with big studio films as well.

I'm sure it stung, but he got over it pretty quickly and kept plodding forward. Personally & professionally. After Earth was about as big studio as it gets, it's a giant sci-fi space epic. It's not like he's been relegated to making indie films from budgets he gets on kickstarter.

If anything, M. Night's ability to get over perceptions is the only reason Glass is getting made: one thing no one is talking about, I remember Sam Jackson going on an epic rant a bunch of years ago, trashing Shyamalan, for never making a sequel to Unbreakable, and saying that all his movies suck since lol. I'm glad M. Night isn't the type to hold onto a grudge, because not only are they finally doing it now, but he gave Jackson the title character, ha.

Back