Rewatched Unbreakable last night for the first time in ages

Split was created to boost the dvd/bluray sales of Unbreakable.

Earlier in the thread I made the comment that it's a superhero movie for people who don't like superhero movies.

You should check it out and report back. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts.

That is a really good description tbh. A really great movie that even an "adult" that doesnt give a shit about movies like Superman or Guardians of the Galaxy can enjoy. Its honestly a really great fucking movie and I'm not sure how anyone could not enjoy it.

That is a really good description tbh. A really great movie that even an "adult" that doesnt give a shit about movies like Superman or Guardians of the Galaxy can enjoy. Its honestly a really great fucking movie and I'm not sure how anyone could not enjoy it.

Yeah. Really, while the superhero element is ever-present throughout the film, it's just as much a family drama about the rigors of marriage and a psychological drama about the importance of man finding his purpose.

I loved this movie when it came and still to this day. It is a superhero origin movie and what I think the second half of Hancock was trying to do.

I think you definitely hit the nail on the head in that people were dumping on M Night for being a "bad director." He's not. He's a fantastic director and a mediocre screenwriter.

Being a filmmaker is my dream, so I consider it a mixture of research and art appreciation.

In what capacity do you want to work on movies? One of my best friends is starting to make a name for himself writing. Most recently he wrote a film that debuted at SXSW this year which got great reviews:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/tragedy_girls_2017/

It's taken him a LOT of hard work and persistence to get this far, but he's stuck with it and it's finally paying off for him.

The director is also a friend of mine, but the writer has been among my 5 closest friends I've ever had. I'm proud of what he's finally doing with his career.

He's a fantastic director and a mediocre screenwriter.

I see this claim a lot that his screenwriting skills are questionable, but I have to wonder, when you say he's a mediocre screenwriter what do you mean exactly?

Just remember that all of his films except Airbender and After Earth were entirely original concepts. It was his screenwriting abilities that produced the twist in The Sixth Sense. It was also his screenwriting capabilities that brought all of Unbreakable to life from the ground up.

If you mean that his dialogue is occasionally a bit hammy then I agree with you. But remember that screenwriting is so much more than just dialogue. It's building a story scene-by-scene.

In what capacity do you want to work on movies? One of my best friends is starting to make a name for himself writing. Most recently he wrote a film that debuted at SXSW this year which got great reviews:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/tragedy_girls_2017/

It's taken him a LOT of hard work and persistence to get this far, but he's stuck with it and it's finally paying off for him.

The director is also a friend of mine, but the writer has been among my 5 closest friends I've ever had. I'm proud of what he's finally doing with his career.

Wow 100% on RT. That's quite an accomplishment for your friend!

To answer your question, I want to write and direct. I've made a few student-level short films and also done a tiny bit of entry-level video production work (making promotional videos for a law firm). Frankly, I should be further along than I am at this stage of things, but for a variety of reasons I am not. I'm working on it, though.

My goal is to make both narrative films and documentaries. Once I've made a handful of professional-grade shorts then I will start focusing on making a feature.

I re-watched it recently as well, solid movie but I felt it ended too abruptly.

I see this claim a lot that his screenwriting skills are questionable, but I have to wonder, when you say he's a mediocre screenwriter what do you mean exactly?

Just remember that all of his films except Airbender and After Earth were entirely original concepts. It was his screenwriting abilities that produced the twist in The Sixth Sense. It was also his screenwriting capabilities that brought all of Unbreakable to life from the ground up.

If you mean that his dialogue is occasionally a bit hammy then I agree with you. But remember that screenwriting is so much more than just dialogue. It's building a story scene-by-scene.

Perhaps "mediocre" isn't the correct term but he's hit-or-miss on some of these. The Village was a great concept but probably would have worked better as a short story (The voice over, in particular, self-spoiled the twist for me.) The Lady in the Water seemed awkward with a false finish. All of his movies are shot beautifully and paced well. He obviously reveres Hitchcock and dials that up to 11.

Perhaps "mediocre" isn't the correct term but he's hit-or-miss on some of these. The Village was a great concept but probably would have worked better as a short story.

I've already expressed my love for The Village earlier in the thread so I won't retread that ground. But as a point of trivia, since you bring up the short story thing, allegations were actually made that he ripped the idea off from a YA novel called Running Out of Time:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running_Out_of_Time_(Haddix_novel)

Whether that's true or it was just a coincidence, only M. Night knows.

(The voice over, in particular, self-spoiled the twist for me.)

You mean the part where everything is being explained to Ivy by her dad? As I see it, that is where the twist is really revealed.

The Lady in the Water seemed awkward with a false finish.

Yeah, I think it's a good movie for the first two acts and then just kind of loses its way at the end.

I love Unbreakable. I don't know shit about cinematography and all that. I just thought it was really good.

UB is definitely my favorite MNS movie.

Village was crap.

@Peteyandjia, don't you have a love in your heart for this one?

Missed this thread somehow.

Anyway yeah, GOAT superhero movie. GOAT M. Night film. And it's in my all-time top 10

Needles to say I was over the goddamn moon at the end of SPLIT.

I watched it again a couple of weeks ago and saw Bruce's cameo at the end. Now I can't wait for the last episode of this trilogy.

Saw M. NIGHT do a cameo in Unbreakable. He's a decent actor.

Saw M. NIGHT do a cameo in Unbreakable. He's a decent actor.

He has cameos in almost all of his movies, including SPLIT. Yeah he's not bad. His best cameo performance imo was probably in Signs. Luckily for M. Night the bar for modern director cameos was set incredibly low with Tarantino, compared to him M. Night is fucking DDL.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltonmjr
Back