Job change and pay advice

SSgt Dickweed

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Update - June 26, 2018

I applied to a job thru Linkedin, whose description I really like three weeks ago. I got an email yesterday of an HR person asking for my availability for an interview, but upon review of the JD, it says that it is an entry level job. The company is a relatively new e-commerce retailer. I can't imagine that it would pay me a bump up from what I am currently making.

I want to ask what salary they are offering through email. Is this a good idea?

Update - May 14, 2018

I have two job interviews tomorrow. I am still currently in the same job as my OP, Tech Support in an insurance company. One is for another Tech Support job in a startup environment. Another is in Procurement for an online retailer.

Tech Support job seems good enough but I worry about the salary being low. The job ad gives the monthly salary range. Even if I push for the maximum salary according to the ad, they should also have at least half the monthly cash benefits as my present job to even meet my current salary. I don't even count the Pension fund that my current job gives (yuge), although the job ad says they offer a Mutual Fund option. Closer drive than my current work, and this job will give me chances to travel abroad.

Procurement job ad didn't even have a salary range. The job must be fairly simple according to the ad, what worries me is that I don't have a formal background in Procurement OR ANY Retail for that matter. But I do have budget handling experience in my admin tasks. Since the company is new, I may or may not be able to ask a bump in salary which I want.

Similar cliffs as OP:

-Low basic pay (w/ recent increase) + excellent benefits + stability + work and environment doesn't match skills/personality.

vs.

Potentially higher pay + unknown benefits + startup environment + I am stoked for the new challenge and learning opportunities.

Dark Horse:
I think I might have a lucky break. I recently applied for a job a former colleague works at. I knew he was there and had previously asked him if there was an opening last year. Although when I applied two weeks ago, I didn't know it was his dept that I was applying to.

He contacted me earlier asking me if I applied and I told him exactly what I did. How do I go forward with this now? I don't want to pressure/beg him to hire me but I would love to get an offer.

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/creative-ways-to-land-a-new-job.3598549/page-3#post-141037917

Update - Nov. 11, 2017

After signing up to a new jobsite, I have had two phone interviews and an actual interview. One phone interviewer merely asked my salary expectations and didn't call back, the other said straight up that what I ask was more than they can give me. The interview I had two days ago went great except for the part when the interviewer said "I'll try to fight for your what you ask to my manager". I just got an email saying they regret to inform me .....

So all three seem to have a problem with my salary demands. I might be missing something but the amount of increase I ask is not that big of a leap compared to my current package. It could be because the benefits of my current company is so good that my current total package is disproportionately large considering my relatively low experience level.

Still, I don't want to leave my current company without that raise. And I don't want to stay in my current company any longer than a few more months. Any other job within the vicinity of my qualifications, I''ll take for as long as I can leave this job for a better paying one.

What should a Staff Sergeant do?

*******************************************************************************************************

Cliffs:
-Low basic pay (w/ pending increase) + excellent benefits + stability + work and environment doesn't match skills/personality.

vs.

Potentially higher pay + unknown benefits + startup environment + I am stoked for the new challenge and learning opportunities.

I am on the verge of my most important career decision yet, but who needs a career coach with years of experience, when you got SD Mayberry?

My current job has a low base pay but really good benefits and a pension program some people would cut their right arm for. But because the nature of the job and work environment is just not a fit for me, have been actively seeking better employment.

I have been contacted by a potential employer who got my resume by a job ad site I am a member in. I was pleasantly surprised that they'd consider me because even if I had the right credentials for it, my experience level is not nearly what they need as stated in the job ad. I have been interviewed and it went very well.

By it's description, I REALLY WANT this job. It will use all the skills I have been building up for myself and will give me such good learning opportunity.

The head guy of the company interviewed me himself and he was kind enough not to ask me my salary expectation right away. I could just email him the details, which just goes to show the environment they have in that company. To me, that's a sign of how much I'd fit in the company because I have issues with how I was hired in this current company I am in and they way of moving up the ladder (very bureaucratic).

If it is a question of how much I want to relocate, I really want this new job. But the stability route is to stay with this current company since it has been and likely will be around forever. The new potential employer has only been around for two years, albeit with a good business strategy and partners.

Here's my "catch 22": I could be getting a huge pay raise in this company I am in. The amount that I have put in my job ad when I was contacted by the potential employer is higher, but I don't really know the benefits. They may not provide as much because they're new. I can ask about pay and benefits through email.

To be descriptive, let me make up numbers:

My current salary is 45k, with potential of going up to 50k. The salary I put in my job ad is 52k. The extent of the salary in the job ad is 60k. I can ask for the max of 60k but I feel that's greedy because I don't have the experience they seek. They may know my asking salary is 52k, but I think I should ask them for at least 55k, and a partial amount of benefits that I have in my current job.

I definitely don't want to price myself out of an offer from them but I feel I should ask for the highest base pay I can.

Last edited:
If you plan on doing one or the other for the rest of your career take the one with the pension plus that "new" company sounds shady. And those salary gaps aren't that vast. I also believe enjoying your job is equally important so there is that. Maybe you should write down the pros and cons of each. Or maybe just don't ask my drunk ass for life changing advice at 3 am. Cheers!

Last edited:
Priorities. Are you single? It would be harder for me to risk my family's future if I'm sick of the grind. Although I did transfer to a lower paying job before just because I think the company was cool & I was getting tired of my old job.

If you're single, do what you think would make you happy or stir your interest.

The 2nd option sounds like a MLM scenario tbh

If you plan on doing one or the other for the rest of your career take the one with the pension plus that "new" company sounds shady. And those salary gaps aren't that vast. I also believe enjoying your job is equally important so there is that. Maybe you shold write down the pros and cons of each. Or maybe just don't ask my drunk ass for life changing advice at 3 am. Cheers!

In truth, the base pay could be twice as much for the new employer, but again the benefits and the pending increase definitely makes it go up.

Priorities. Are you single? It would be harder for me to risk my family's future if I'm sick of the grind. Although I did transfer to a lower paying job before just because I think the company was cool & I was getting tired of my old job.

If you're single, do what you think would make you happy or stir your interest.

Single and ready to fingle.

The 2nd option sounds like a MLM scenario tbh

Definitely not a MLM.

edit- Is it also worth mentioning that I am intuitive as fuck and that the new job gives me better vibes compared to this current one, to which I dread the thought of spending the rest of my career at?

I would strongly advise you push for the very upper limits of salary that you feel is reasonable. You may not have the experience required, but you can use your other experience/qualifications/whatever to justify asking for the higher salary. It is very simple, if you don't ask you won't get, and as long as your request isn't ridiculous it won't price you out. Worst case scenario is they say they can't do it, in cases I've seen HR will try to accommodate or say something along the lines of "well we can't go that high, but we can offer......" and then compensate with some one-time benefits like a relocation allowance ect.

I dunno, benefits are pretty yuge. Pretty easy to take for granted when you have them... but then when you lose them it's quite the rude awakening

If you are gonna seriously consider pursuing the other job w/o benefits then I'd push for a significant jump in base salary from your current

You appear to be excited about the new job and IMO you've already made up your mind about which one you're going to take. Since you're single, I say go for it if that's what will make you happy. I'd also advise you to ask for the max salary. I've seen many potential employees ask for the max. Most companies will give you a counter offer which may be higher than you think.

If it were me, I'd stick with the current employer because of the pension and benefits. It's hard to find companies offering pensions these days. Most just have 401/457 plans. Are you currently vested in their pension plan?

You appear to be excited about the new job and IMO you've already made up your mind about which one you're going to take. Since you're single, I say go for it if that's what will make you happy. I'd also advise you to ask for the max salary. I've seen many potential employees ask for the max. Most companies will give you a counter offer which may be higher than you think.

If it were me, I'd stick with the current employer because of the pension and benefits. It's hard to find companies offering pensions these days. Most just have 401/457 plans. Are you currently vested in their pension plan?

Yes, I'm signed up as a requirement.

I feel that the pros outweigh the cons. I guess I'll have to clear up what benefits they have to offer.

You're pretty vague in what you'd actually be doing, is it a different industry you'd be moving too?

You're pretty vague in what you'd actually be doing, is it a different industry you'd be moving too?

I'll be doing quant work. If I ever climb up the ladder for 10 years doing the new job, I'll basically be a math wizard.

Hiring Manager (me): Absolutely no one with any experience is applying for the job and no one is replying to the ad.

CEO/President/Owner (also me): So go to the second and third tier candidates and see what happens. We can always cut them lose when we find the person with the right qualifications.

Hiring Manager (me): Absolutely no one with any experience is applying for the job and no one is replying to the ad.

CEO/President/Owner (also me): So go to the second and third tier candidates and see what happens. We can always cut them lose when we find the person with the right qualifications.

WY3lX.gif

Even if the money was equal doing what you're interested in beats just punching the clock. That's personal experience though, so add salt to taste.

If you know the new job has higher earning potential I'd be more concerned with trying to secure some of the benefits your current job provides. Especially if you seem to be lacking experience.

Also, you're perfectly fine asking for more pay. The loss of benefits has to be made up financially so they'll understand the need to pay you more to offset that.

Plus, after they find and hire the person with the right experience and fire you, you'll need the extra pay to build up your cash reserves to help you through the lean times.

This. We've been in need for an employee and had to hire immediately at the best qualified, even if not ideal. Our mindset is to keep getting the resumes for a better fit and explore that opportunity if the new employee doesn't seem to be grasping it quick enough. To our credit though, we do let them know that the training period before you even get going on your own at all is approximately 3 months and it's not good for everyone. We'd have no issue canning a new hire for a better one if we had to.

Also, you're perfectly fine asking for more pay. The loss of benefits has to be made up financially so they'll understand the need to pay you more to offset that.

Plus, after they find and hire the person with the right experience and fire you, you'll need the extra pay to build up your cash reserves to help you through the lean times.

Like Dana Fertitta said, that's illegal. This isn't a subcontractor gig. The only reason for them to let go employees is if they don't succeed which is different from what you're saying. And it only makes sense that they train an employee they have before letting someone go.

This. We've been in need for an employee and had to hire immediately at the best qualified, even if not ideal. Our mindset is to keep getting the resumes for a better fit and explore that opportunity if the new employee doesn't seem to be grasping it quick enough. To our credit though, we do let them know that the training period before you even get going on your own at all is approximately 3 months and it's not good for everyone. We'd have no issue canning a new hire for a better one if we had to.

Good thing I don't live in Murrica.

Like Dana Fertitta said, that's illegal. This isn't a subcontractor gig. The only reason for them to let go employees is if they don't succeed which is different from what you're saying. And it only makes sense that they train an employee they have before letting someone go.

Good thing I don't live in Murrica.

Where do you live? "If they don't succeed" is extremely vague. It's not like America doesn't have wrongful termination.

Where do you live? "If they don't succeed" is extremely vague. It's not like America doesn't have wrongful termination.

I live in a country where shit like that doesn't fly, and it would be very easy for me to have a legal course of action if I am to be terminated like that.

And what I meant by "if they don't succeed" is if the startup company folds within five years or something.

Back