Zookeeper Gabe's Animal Thread V7.0

Altruism is showing up in more and more animals. But it's not shocking to see it in an elephant.

Some shots of baby gurl recently.
lXwkGhS.jpg

Move along human, nothing to see here.
S2stNxA.jpg

Saw this earlier this morning and thought it was really cool. Lizards are awesome

Lol. One of the things that made it take longer is lizards lungs don't inflate while they are on their back.

Spider-bro watching out for his friend:

Monkey planet on Netflix is really good.

i just saw monkeys in india use a lightpole as a hi dive platform and jump into a water trough purely for the fun of it. and a bonobo make a fire and roast marshmallows.

Just saved some tourist from a bear attack tonight. Was viewing bears on a road above a salmon creek, when a 2-3 year old male bear(200ish lbs) came out of the woods near our vehicle. 3 women proceed to all take out there phones, and walk towards it then try to take selfies with it. I yelled at them to get back, but the Bear did a bluff charge. I got in between them and stood my ground, while yelling and holding a big stick, as everyone else ran for the car. Luckily the bear was just bluffing, and it also help that I am quite a bit bigger than that bear. The women in the car, said they thought the bears were not allowed on the roads, and had to stay in the grass like the zoo....

So this is both really cool and kind of sad, here's the back story. A female snapping turtle got trapped in our aoudad exhibit and stressed dropping all her eggs and not burying them. Keeper gathered them and I said I would incubate at home. I found a collapsed one and figured I would check one that looked ok. They weren't candling as developing so I cut one open and found this little guy... Felt bad but the good news is I have about 12 more incubating.
oCqXaUl.jpg

Did he died?

Just saved some tourist from a bear attack tonight. Was viewing bears on a road above a salmon creek, when a 2-3 year old male bear(200ish lbs) came out of the woods near our vehicle. 3 women proceed to all take out there phones, and walk towards it then try to take selfies with it. I yelled at them to get back, but the Bear did a bluff charge. I got in between them and stood my ground, while yelling and holding a big stick, as everyone else ran for the car. Luckily the bear was just bluffing, and it also help that I am quite a bit bigger than that bear. The women in the car, said they thought the bears were not allowed on the roads, and had to stay in the grass like the zoo....

Jesus fucking Christ people are dumb as shit, seriously they are really lucky. Good job man

@breadfighter yes, unfortunately that one is deaded.

Literally none of this happened.

I kid, I kid, good job saving the potential Darwin Award nominees. I completely believe it, a good percentage of the population has gotten so stupid and dissociated from the natural world o_O

You're like Brad Pitt from legends of the fall except nobody gets hurt.

I kid, I kid, good job saving the potential Darwin Award nominees. I completely believe it, a good percentage of the population has gotten so stupid and dissociated from the natural world o_O

I would have just Ivan Drago'd them.

images

Here's some of there photos from the encounter yesterday, as they run towards the wild Alaskan Black Bear
20882306_10214076543850761_1303196831174184793_n.jpg

20882297_10214076544090767_1809816469199631928_n.jpg

Our van was about 5 feet from the edge of the grass towards the top.

One day i'll own one of these

They are cool fish, but you need a huge tank for a full grown one. Your talking like 500g to properly house one. I do like that they don't destroy there tanks and you can actually keep small community fish with them. They also are only wild caught from Africa and do suffer commonly from internal parasites.

They are cool fish, but you need a huge tank for a full grown one. Your talking like 500g to properly house one. I do like that they don't destroy there tanks and you can actually keep small community fish with them. They also are only wild caught from Africa and do suffer commonly from internal parasites.
I'm well aware of the mbu.
I currently have dwarf peas and I've kept a couple different sharp noses, a group of Peruvians, avacados, etc. I'd actually really, really like a Cross River but they're expensive and don't come up for sale often.
Papaun tobies are by far my favorite fish, I just don't have the time for a SW tank anymore.

Back