Do you have friends who are on the opposite side of the aisle?

I own a gun. BOOM., opposite position, I'm actually for the wall if someone else pays it double BOOM. I'm also pro death penalty, TRIPLE BOOM

Now see? We're not so far apart as I thought. :)

For the record, I'm NOT a hardcore Republican. I believe in aspects of both parties. I voted for Obama the first time. I just happen to think that the Republicans were more in line with some of the changes that I think need to be made in this Country. I did not like where we were going and putting Hillary in the WH would have only meant more of the same.

Now see? We're not so far apart as I thought. :)

For the record, I'm NOT a hardcore Republican. I believe in aspects of both parties. I voted for Obama the first time. I just happen to think that the Republicans were more in line with some of the changes that I think need to be made in this Country. I did not like where we were going and putting Hillary in the WH would have only meant more of the same.

Trump is an absolute disaster. I need to be able to on some level respect my president. Feel that they at least know something about the issues. "I know more than the generals, believe me". Ya, that was it for me. The guy is a buffoon and he proves it every day. Hillary would have been crap also but at least she knows how the world works

I stay on the aisle, but I have friends on the left and right side of it. I do my best to stay objective. As an objective observer, it's easy to see the pros and cons of both ideologies.

In today's political climate those are indeed almost exclusively democratic positions .

They are claiming them as their own resolute territory, but the fact is that most Republican voters believe in equality and all of those things too. I think there needs to be a more balanced approach in their implementation.

You can't afford your own how can you help afford someone else's?
Because I can donate a little bit to people or charities that help people in need. I believe in being generous to others in need.

Trump is an absolute disaster. I need to be able to on some level respect my president. Feel that they at least know something about the issues. "I know more than the generals, believe me". Ya, that was it for me. The guy is a buffoon and he proves it every day. Hillary would have been crap also but at least she knows how the world works

You lose me when you start going off on Trump. You realize he isn't even really a Republican right? He's far more Democratic than any of the other candidates would have been. There's plenty that he wants to do that Obama wanted to do too. It's just too bad neither side is willing to even talk to the other. Unfortunately executive orders and obstruction have become the new normal, and that's the fault of both parties. Not the voters.

You lose me when you start going off on Trump. You realize he isn't even really a Republican right? He's far more Democratic than any of the other candidates would have been. There's plenty that he wants to do that Obama wanted to do too. It's just too bad neither side is willing to even talk to the other. Unfortunately executive orders and obstruction have become the new normal, and that's the fault of both parties. Not the voters.

Trump is a chameleon who has found a home on the FAR right. You are right, he WAS a democrat until he realized that he could bamboozle republican voters into thinking he was for them. Then, on voting day they fell for it. Trump is not an ideologue, he has no positions. He is a populist and his audience is the far right.

Govt tends to be wasteful and inefficient. And I don't want govt to have too much power and control over citizens.

Unless people you don't like want to get married or be alone in the bedroom. Then you want the government to step in

We have a few family friends that are, I would describe, on the extreme opposite side of us politically. They can be good fun to be around. We handle it by limiting political talk when around them.

Yeah, one guy that dislikes President Trump had a heart attack. It seems personal for him! I was joking for awhile that the stress of hearing the words "President Trump" nearly killed him. He lived, thankfully.

Look who's talking. :rolleyes: Socialized Medicine would never work in this Country and has been an abject failure in nearly every country it's been implemented in. It opens the door for rife corruption and would likely increase our debt even further. One look no further than Venuzuela to see what can happen.

Based on what metric?

Virtually every other first world country pays half as much per capita,has better outcomes on average and covers everyone .

On this topic (as well as voter suppression) you really don't know of what you speak .

Based on what metric?

Virtually every other first world country pays half as much per capita,has better outcomes on average and covers everyone .

On this topic (as well as voter suppression) you really don't know of what you speak .

Good point, how would you know if you never tried. Medicare works pretty well but isn't perfect.

Trump is a chameleon who has found a home on the FAR right. You are right, he WAS a democrat until he realized that he could bamboozle republican voters into thinking he was for them. Then, on voting day they fell for it. Trump is not an ideologue, he has no positions. He is a populist and his audience is the far right.
I disagree that he has no positions. He is for a strong military, state's rights, lower taxes for businesses, and less Govt. interference via regulations. All things that I value as well. As for Trump? Meh, I don't think he's THAT bad. I think he honestly took the job to try and make things better for everyone. I know we'll never agree on that, but many of us feel that way. We are not "bad" people.

They are claiming them as their own resolute territory, but the fact is that most Republican voters believe in equality and all of those things too. I think there needs to be a more balanced approach in their implementation.
But the Republican party does little if anything to further them

I disagree that he has no positions. He is for a strong military, state's rights, lower taxes for businesses, and less Govt. interference via regulations. All things that I value as well. As for Trump? Meh, I don't think he's THAT bad. I think he honestly took the job to try and make things better for everyone. I know we'll never agree on that, but many of us feel that way. We are not "bad" people.

He didn't care about the military, states rights or anything else until it suited him. The dude us a con artist and if he took the job to make things better for everyone why hasn't he spoken to the left AT ALL. Even Obama would make statements to try and include the right. "Ill be your president too".

Also, what does Trump know about the military?

My best friend voted for Trump.

My best friend is not an idiot.

In fact, he came down to visit, and said, "But what do I know? I voted for Donald Fuckin' Trump?"

Do you have close friends on the other side of the spectrum? How do you deal with it?

I have another friend who voted for Trump. He is, in fact, an idiot. We knew this all along. We still love him though.

Same boat here. I'm coservative, but a centerist. I have friends that are super liberal and some that are ultra conservative. 1 I call a union democrat that always votes party line regardless of any other issues.

Back