No Homework rule at my kid's school

They spend 7 hrs in school. That's already a long time for a kid.

I wouldn't say it's unnecessary pressure. It preps you for college and also preps you for the real world when there's a deadline you have to meet at work with no wasted time.
I've never had to take my work home in any job I've ever had. A good employer will provide you what you need to get the job done at the job and if not then they will pay you for staying extra hours.

I've never had to take my work home in any job I've ever had. A good employer will provide you what you need to get the job done at the job and if not then they will pay you for staying extra hours.

I'm comparing homework in school to the responsibility of the boss handing you a job and telling you to get it done by xx:xx time. It's all on you to manage your time at that point.

I'm on board with this , particularly for elementary school. The average person spends their best years grinding away at work and with other obligations until they get too old , theres plenty of time for that. Let em be kids in my opinion .
Thank you. My kids stay busy doing sports, band, and other things that I believe are good for kids. I think those things help them become well rounded individuals. Everyone seems to want to rush kids to the next phase of their life. Trust me...soon enough they will have their fill of adult life.

Not to mention that most homework is busy work bullshit.

Homework assignments need to be gotten rid of. If a teacher can't teach you something in 10 months out of the year, they aren't doing well. Homework, as in refreshers or quick study guides should be implemented. 2 hour assignments for one class a night is a lazy fucking teacher.

As a parent that would suck for me. homework is a little break in the evening for parents from having to entertain their kids.

My son is 2 and my wife is 7 months pregnant with out daughter. Guess we'll see in about 5 years what will be in store for my kids.
God forbid you have to spend time with your kids when they're at home.

I think it would help children learn better if they did the work right after the subject was taught and that might be what they are doing now. Parents can always have their children read or do some math after school. I'm sure there are many lessons available and the teacher might have something available for parents online.

I wouldn't say it's unnecessary pressure. It preps you for college and also preps you for the real world when there's a deadline you have to meet at work with no wasted time.

Which is totally necessary when you're 8 years old!

I see this mentality creeping into everything.

Gotta start kindergarten 2 seconds after you turn 5 , and be reading before you get there , in 4 sports at 7 ECT etc. Its mostly for the benefit of the parents ego in my observation. Id be willing to bet there is not much of a long term benefit to pushing the hell out of young kids in the long run. A 13 year old , sure .....a 6 year old , fuck off.

Any school that implements a no homework policy is a fucking joke.

This. Nothing will come out of that school except I'll prepared kids. Granted, some schools go overboard with homework. But this is retarded.

Why do I see so many threads with distinctly political character being started in the Mayberry, lately?
Probably because they want rational discussion.

The War Room isn't the place for that.

Kids across the land have started school this week.

My kid's elementary school just instituted a "no homework" policy.

Good idea or bad idea? Should schools give out homework (elementary, middle or high school):

YES - Homework reinforces the concepts that were introduced during the school day. This helps the kids understand the material better.

YES - Homework teaches time management skills.

YES - Homework creates independent and creative students that can work longer/shorter than the designated time given within the classroom.

NO - Homework is just busy work. Studies have shown it makes no significant difference in learning.

NO - I am sure a certain percentage of kids' parents do the homework for them anyway.

NO - Kids are already jam-packed with stuff to do after school from sports, to band, to scouts, to community service projects, etc.
Its a bad idea because parents have a tougher time being involved with their kids schooling when they don't do homework.

Feels like a way for schools to get away with kids not learning shit and parents being ignorant of it. Lots of parents have complained at my daughter's school about a similar policy. Not really a policy here, just teachers don't really want to deal with it IMO. Teachers have become sort of a joke, really. I don't believe people strive to be teachers anymore. In my experience, its something people give a go when their careers don't work out and it shows.

God forbid you have to spend time with your kids when they're at home.

I love my son more than anything. But I'm a lawyer and I bring my own work home often enough that I can work on mine while my kids work on theirs. My wife can help them with their assignments and shit. When I'm spending time with them it will be to do fun shit.

Its a bad idea because parents have a tougher time being involved with their kids schooling when they don't do homework.

Feels like a way for schools to get away with kids not learning shit and parents being ignorant of it. Lots of parents have complained at my daughter's school about a similar policy. Not really a policy here, just teachers don't really want to deal with it IMO. Teachers have become sort of a joke, really. I don't believe people strive to be teachers anymore. In my experience, its something people give a go when their careers don't work out and it shows.
It's a good thing your experience isn't universal, because I've known quite a few people who wanted to be involved in education and they didn't fail or choose another career first.

Parents need to be the most important part of their child's education and development. I personally feel terrible for all of the children whose parents leave it up to the government or a private school, complaining about not enough homework or whatever. Teach your fucking kids.

It's a good thing your experience isn't universal, because I've known quite a few people who wanted to be involved in education and they didn't fail or choose another career first.

Parents need to be the most important part of their child's education and development. I personally feel terrible for all of the children whose parents leave it up to the government or a private school, complaining about not enough homework or whatever. Teach your fucking kids.
Well, schools take it out of your hands these days. You have to call and force them to tell you shit these days and then they have the nerve to act defensive about it.

I love my son more than anything. But I'm a lawyer and I bring my own work home often enough that I can work on mine while my kids work on theirs. My wife can help them with their assignments and shit. When I'm spending time with them it will be to do fun shit.
Well, I hope you try to be more involved once he does start school and don't expect your wife to do all of it. If you have enough time to post on sherdog as much as you do, you'll have time to help your kids with homework.

Gotta start kindergarten 2 seconds after you turn 5 , and be reading before you get there , in 4 sports at 7 ECT etc. Its mostly for the benefit of the parents ego in my observation. Id be willing to bet there is not much of a long term benefit to pushing the hell out of young kids in the long run. A 13 year old , sure .....a 6 year old , fuck off.
We're not living in a world where the rest of hte world is bombed into the stone age anymore. To stay competitive, I think our culture is going to have to change. If we raise our kids to not work too hard at 6 and other countries raise their kids working 15 hours a day from the same age, who's gonna win? Laziness and not having to work being a normal thing for children is a modern invention.

Kids working 15 hours a day seems brutal to us. Kids going to school and then spending the rest of the day playing seems like lol lazy fat pigs to other cultures.

You just went 0-100mph there.

Life lessons are taught at an early age for a reason. You don't just allow your kids to run around willy nilly and then expect them to all the sudden be responsible at a certain age. It's a slow progression of responsibilities and experiences. The simple 10 question quizzes in 3rd grade prepare you for the critical thinking social studies questions in 4th grade, which prepare you for the essay you have to write in 5th grade and that in turn prepares you for the volcano project you have to build in 6th grade. It's the personal responsibility that you're learning to manage so once you get to the next level each year, you aren't panicking at what the teacher or boss has thrown at you.

Back