Second watch of Saul-GGG

after all the emotion has died down, I challenge everyone to watch it again....confirmation bias aside.

What Struck me about watching again was the sheer amount of punches 3G missed. Canelo made GGG miss a fuck ton of punches and in many instances afterwards, made him pay.

I had Canelo sweeping the first four rounds quite clearly. Round 4 could be argued for GGG but I feel Saul landed the bigger cleaner shots. Rounds 5-6-7-8-9 could easily be scored for GGG but a round or two in the middle rounds could be swing rounds.

Now rounds 10-11-12 I had Canelo winning.

Rounds 10 and 4 could also be argued for GGG but again, upon second viewing I feel Canelo landed the better stuff with better defense.

7-5 for Canelo.

I would like to hear some opinions of those who watched it again.

No matter what, the most clear thing in my mind, you can't claim robbery for either fighter and you could easily have a case for either fighter winning.

With that said, I thought the rounds Canelo won were more clear cut than the rounds GGG won.

This really was a great fight, take nothing away from GGG he is amazing as well. I feel like Canelo has taken his footwork and movement to the next level ( for him). I was impressed with his ability to slip punches and many of the ones that landed were punches he rolled with, GGG caught him clean a few times and he seemed to hold up fine. I think Canelo landed the more signignificant shots, but he (GGG) took them well, he just took more of them IMO. In the END i think if there was a knockdown we would have a clean victory for one or the other. OR at least a few times in the fight where one of the two had each other hurt or in some real trouble.

I'm pretty sure there will be a rematch straight away. By early next year at the latest, we'll see.

<mma4> .

Watched twice and I still have Canelo by one round. He landed the better shots and made Golovkin miss badly throughout the fight. Id also say that his shots showed more effect.

It was an incredible fight and very close. No robbery, and anything from scoring for Canelo to Golovkin to a draw was perfectly acceptable.

I started to notice the same thing as the fight progressed.

I noticed that triple G was catching Canelos shots with his shoulders, and also at times when Canelo would dig to the body Triple G would got down and block the shots with his elbows.

Yeah it was really impressive considering canelos speed and ggg style

No being real in that post. Only your perception. Also the last sentence is based on nothing.

I pointed out the same shit with Andre Ward vs Kovalev 1, that Andre had his number and was on his way to a stoppage if he had turned it up. Only responses I got back were that I was insane, but what happened in the rematch? Sure, first one was razor close, 2nd... not so much

GGG's punches weren't as effective as Canelo's. He only stayed in the fight via high accumulation of lesser scoring blows. Canelo controlled the center of the ring several times that night and GGG couldn't do anything about it. Canelo scored the body work. Who fought like their normal self and the other resorting to looking not like themselves to try and eek one out?

I pointed out the same shit with Andre Ward vs Kovalev 1, that Andre had his number and was on his way to a stoppage if he had turned it up. Only responses I got back were that I was insane, but what happened in the rematch? Sure, first one was razor close, 2nd... not so much

GGG's punches weren't as effective as Canelo's. He only stayed in the fight via high accumulation of lesser scoring blows. Canelo controlled the center of the ring several times that night and GGG couldn't do anything about it. Canelo scored the body work. Who fought like their normal self and the other resorting to looking not like themselves to try and eek one out?

Canelo controlled the center of the ring at times yes, but Triple G constantly kept walking Canelo down and kept him backing up from the 4th rd on.

Canelos punches were not that effective, Triple G walked right through everything Canelo threw at him.

I watched the fight again yesterday. I thought triple G won on my first viewing. I was surprised that I scored it a draw after my second viewing. A lot of those rounds are difficult to score. Triple G missed a lot of punches but never took a step back the entire fight. I felt Alvarez landed the cleaner harder punches. Amazing fight

Canelo controlled the center of the ring at times yes, but Triple G constantly kept walking Canelo down and kept him backing up from the 4th rd on.

Canelos punches were not that effective, Triple G walked right through everything Canelo threw at him.
Walking forward doesnt mean shit when youre getting cracked in the face while doing so.

Walking forward doesnt mean shit when youre getting cracked in the face while doing so.

And sitting on the ropes and getting hit does not win fights either.

Last edited:
And sitting on the ropes and getting hit does not win fights either.
Good thing he was making him miss so often then huh.

watched the fight for the second time with the volume turned all the way down

Canelo won 118-110

Sorry, I'm afraid I heard too many generalizations over the last couple of days. I still don't agree but I see where you're coming from {<jimmies}

Good thing he was making him miss so often then huh.

By your logic Canelo should have won decisively.

He threw the cleaner punches, he threw harder punches, he made Triple G miss a lot.

Yet some how Triple G managed to win a good portion of the fight by walking forward and getting cracked in the face, all the while missing a majority of his shots. As you have stated.

In that case what is the point of having this conversation. Canelo should by all means be the clear cut winner and middle weight champ.

Watched twice and I still have Canelo by one round. He landed the better shots and made Golovkin miss badly throughout the fight. Id also say that his shots showed more effect.

It was an incredible fight and very close. No robbery, and anything from scoring for Canelo to Golovkin to a draw was perfectly acceptable.
I had it 115/113 too. Saw it about the same on a review. Still saw a few rounds that could have gone either way though. Gave Golovkin round 4 on fight night and thought that could have gone to Canelo.

By your logic Canelo should have won decisively.

He threw the cleaner punches, he threw harder punches, he made Triple G miss a lot.

Yet some how Triple G managed to win a good portion of the fight by walking forward and getting cracked in the face, all the while missing a majority of his shots. As you have stated.

In that case what is the point of having this conversation. Canelo should by all means be the clear cut winner and middle weight champ.
Wipe your tears away and try to have a discussion without putting words in mouths.

You don't get points for making someone miss.

I had it 115/113 too. Saw it about the same on a review. Still saw a few rounds that could have gone either way though. Gave Golovkin round 4 on fight night and thought that could have gone to Canelo.
Got no issue with a narrow victory with either or a draw. Thats how close fights are.

Wipe your tears away and try to have a discussion without putting words in mouths.

No tears here.

Im only pointing out what you are stating, Unless maybe you don't like that I do that.

"Good thing he was making him miss so often then huh"

"Walking forward doesnt mean shit when youre getting cracked in the face while doing so"

Your statements. Scroll above if you think Im putting words into your mouth.

Back